• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1 Username Per E-Mail Address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:17 ]
Wheat_Grass_Juice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-17 20:17, Quadruple C wrote:
I think having 1 username per E-mail address would help to reduce the phantom fools. David

Reduction? How about complete elimination of the phantom fools by using one's real name and verifiable by your administration checking hisher SSN?

After working in beta testing for CAD programs, I know there is a way to have this login more secure.

Liad
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:20 ]
William Bentley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad C you are making a habit out of sluring against the SA and I do not appreciate it at all.
Why don't you back off with your little smart comments that you are so famous for.
Why don't you offer to help the SA in filtering this giant freebie that you use for free to fun and frolic in?
Why don't you take responsibility of authenticating users? This could be a good project for you. Why don't you and all of the complainers who are giving the SA such a hard time right now. How about VOLUNTEER to help make this a better site other than sponging off of the site free of charge just for your own entertainment, and to carry out your agendas.
I remember that the SC moderator recently went to authenticating users to reduce the flammers.
WOW what a concept huh?
I guess you are the wrong person to expect to do any work around here.

Why don't those who are willing to volunteer time to help in making this a better website and keep up with its rapid growth offer to volunteer to the SA?
It certainly beats being a dead beat complainer who complains becuase his free lunch wasn't fed to him on a golden platter.

WB

[ This Message was edited by: william bentley on 2002-09-19 04:42 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're a trip bentley. all i've ever seen you do is complain about other posters here, FOR FREE!!!! go figure.
jdscreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Bently,
You have 36 posts. David Allen has 1176 posts. I believe he has dedicated a fair amount of time to this forum, by sharing his knowledge.
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, David Allen has more post than William Bentley. A few of them were in the Auturo thread. If you go back and review his posts he stated that he felt he had the right to post what he thought without regard to it being true or not. Yes David Allen has more posts than William Bentley but after reading this thread I have to wonder how many of them are true, percieved to be true, or out right lies or as David would call them "subjective truths". Quantity does not always equate to quality.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 13:08, histrumpet wrote:
Yes, David Allen has more post than William Bentley. <snip>
Quantity does not always equate to quality.

How true
You can also look at the posters previous posts as histrumpet points out and see how many posts are in answer to others questions or expressing an opinion (rightly or wrongly) and how many just have a go at various other posters, even asking that other posters be removed from the TH.
yours
Brian Jones
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes are afoot.

In a month or so, all users will be required to agree to a new user agreement which will have some modifications to the existing one.

'Free' email addresses will no longer be accepted (e.g., hotmail, yahoo, etc.). This is to verify that you are who you say you are and prevent multiple registrations on the same email address.

Members will probably not have the option of turning off the email option in the posts, so that everyone's email address will be available through the board. However, someone sending mail will never actually see the email address as is currently the case. You will have to be a registered member and be logged in to send anyone mail.

I'm going to look into the option of allowing members to build a 'block list.' By placing other members on this list, you will never see any posts from them on the board. That will be a significant amount of coding, but probably worth it.

I may implement a rating system, whereby members can vote as to whether they approve or disprove of a certain member. If someone gets enough 'bad' votes, they would be removed. But, that would be a very high number of 'bad' votes before it would happen. Then, this feature could be combined with the above feature: 'only show posts from members with a 5-star rating,' or some such idea.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd
I like the bit about a real email address.
good luck
Brian Jones
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd,

I'm a little confused as to your comment on "real" email addresses. While I am in 110% support of what you are trying to do to properly authenticate users, are you saying that those of us (like myself) that use a "yahoo" address will not be able to post/use the Herald Forum? I've always used my full name, address and phone numbers in addition to my email in all communications here and would hope not to have to get a separate email address just so i can continue to be a member of the Herald Forum.

Keep up the good work!

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
Wheat_Grass_Juice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes are afoot.

After reading your changes, I agree that they are “a foot” and not ahead because I do not agree with them.

BTW, what are the designated responsibilities of this forum’s Systems Administrator? Are they published some place?

In a month or so, all users will be required to agree to a new user agreement which will have some modifications to the existing one.

'Free' email addresses will no longer be accepted (e.g., hotmail, yahoo, etc.). This is to verify that you are who you say you are and prevent multiple registrations on the same email address.

You for one are not listing your real name on this forum so why are you requiring us to do so? All that I see is Systems Administrator. Others call you Todd but do you use another name listing on this forum as well? Do you think that I or anyone else outside of yourself do not have a good enough reason to exclude a real name and private e-mail address in this forum? To exclude one of the biggest e-mail providers in the world is rather presumptuous, don’t you think? I have had a tremendous virus hit from TPIN and the only e-mail I have been able to use and have used with them since a month ago has been the one I am using with you at this time (Wheat Grass Juice@ hotmail.com). I have always used my real name with this address. MSN scans their e-mail for viruses and this helps me tremendously for any private e-mail coming to me off line from the forums that I participate in.

Members will probably not have the option of turning off the email option in the posts, so that everyone's email address will be available through the board. However, someone sending mail will never actually see the email address as is currently the case. You will have to be a registered member and be logged in to send anyone mail.

There are some people who are overwhelmed with e-mail and do not want to be receiving large amounts from everybody in the world for they may feel bad for not having the time to answer them or it could be for 101 different reasons. However, you are dictating to everyone that they need to post their e-mail address?! Have you asked for our vote, opinions, suggestions, etc or is this proposal of yours the final word? I can see your membership dropping down drastically and your enrollment to be limited to “wantabees” who have all the time in the world to converse with each other via e-mail.

I'm going to look into the option of allowing members to build a 'block list.' By placing other members on this list, you will never see any posts from them on the board. That will be a significant amount of coding, but probably worth it.

What is it that has been done on this forum in it’s present state that you would want to develop such a thing as a block list and that you would be willing to spend a significant amount of time coding it? I will admit that I have not been on this forum for a long time and I am unaware of many of the things which has been done here. I have found it to be probably the best organized forum outside of Netmusician.org trumpet forum. If you don’t mind doing some extra coding, then try to set your forum format like what Netmusician.org has. I find your format still rather primitive when it comes to typing messages. I get constant aggravation in not being able to use all of the characters on the keyboard. To me, this is basic and needs more of your coding time than what you are proposing here at this time.

I may implement a rating system, whereby members can vote as to whether they approve or disprove of a certain member. If someone gets enough 'bad' votes, they would be removed. But, that would be a very high number of 'bad' votes before it would happen. Then, this feature could be combined with the above feature: 'only show posts from members with a 5-star rating,' or some such idea.

The development of political cliques will develop beyond what they are now on any one trumpet forum. The person who plays more gigs and is better known gets a higher rating (less bad votes) even if he cusses without stop whereas an amateur whom nobody knows may hit a bad feeling of someone (maybe even the professional himself) and he will be voted out. This setup reminds me of the book called Animal Farm wherein some are more “equal” than others.

Has there been a democratic vote on these actions you want to take? I do not remember seeing such a notice. If you want my vote, I vote no. This whole thing needs to go back to the drawing board to establish another list of priorities.

If you are "afoot" for excluding e-mail on your forum and don't mind the extra coding, then have your program scan each receiving message before posting to look for certain designated words (you know the four lettered ones) and if it finds it, the message will not be posted.

Liad Bar-EL

[ This Message was edited by: Wheat_Grass_Juice on 2002-09-26 09:01 ]
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BTW, what are the designated responsibilities of this forum’s Systems Administrator? Are they published some place?

This site is my personal project, so, my designated responsibilities would be "all of the above."

Quote:

You for one are not listing your real name on this forum so why are you requiring us to do so? All that I see is Systems Administrator. Others call you Todd but do you use another name listing on this forum as well? Do you think that I or anyone else outside of yourself do not have a good enough reason to exclude a real name and private e-mail address in this forum? To exclude one of the biggest e-mail providers in the world is rather presumptuous, don’t you think? I have had a tremendous virus hit from TPIN and the only e-mail I have been able to use and have used with them since a month ago has been the one I am using with you at this time (Wheat Grass Juice@ hotmail.com). I have always used my real name with this address. MSN scans their e-mail for viruses and this helps me tremendously for any private e-mail coming to me off line from the forums that I participate in.

Hmm some confusion here, I'm not requiring anyone to use their real name. But, I will be validating everyone's email address by mailing a random password to the user's email address provided. On the free mail accounts, since many of you are not in favor of it, perhaps I'll wait and see how things go.

Quote:

There are some people who are overwhelmed with e-mail and do not want to be receiving large amounts from everybody in the world for they may feel bad for not having the time to answer them or it could be for 101 different reasons. However, you are dictating to everyone that they need to post their e-mail address?! Have you asked for our vote, opinions, suggestions, etc or is this proposal of yours the final word? I can see your membership dropping down drastically and your enrollment to be limited to “wantabees” who have all the time in the world to converse with each other via e-mail.

In the first place, and as I have indicated in posts elsewhere, no one will ever actually see your email address on the board, as was the case until just a week ago or so. Instead, the site handles the email chores for you and sends the message without your ever seeing what actual email address it's going to.

Secondly, in my experience with another (unrelated) board, once members have their actual email available through the mechanism discussed above, many of them 'clean up' their act a bit and the flaming susbsides. It's easy to write alot of virulent posts when you know no-one can contact you, but once your mail is out there you think twice about just how you're making your point. Maybe it won't be necessary, but I'm holding it in reserve.

Quote:

What is it that has been done on this forum in it’s present state that you would want to develop such a thing as a block list and that you would be willing to spend a significant amount of time coding it? I will admit that I have not been on this forum for a long time and I am unaware of many of the things which has been done here. I have found it to be probably the best organized forum outside of Netmusician.org trumpet forum. If you don’t mind doing some extra coding, then try to set your forum format like what Netmusician.org has. I find your format still rather primitive when it comes to typing messages. I get constant aggravation in not being able to use all of the characters on the keyboard. To me, this is basic and needs more of your coding time than what you are proposing here at this time.

The blocklist is already in place and running. 4 hours coding, not bad. Why is it there? To allow members to screen out posts from other members who irritate them, or to block posts from clowns who just try to cause trouble. I don't understand what you mean by "not being able to use all of the characters" of the keyboard? What gives? What's primitive about typing the messages? Help me out.

Quote:

The development of political cliques will develop beyond what they are now on any one trumpet forum. The person who plays more gigs and is better known gets a higher rating (less bad votes) even if he cusses without stop whereas an amateur whom nobody knows may hit a bad feeling of someone (maybe even the professional himself) and he will be voted out. This setup reminds me of the book called Animal Farm wherein some are more “equal” than others.

The rating system will merely allow you to screen posts from folks who don't meet a certain minimum if you choose to do so. Also, perhaps people will take more care with their mode of expression if they know they might lose some rating points. Maybe not. Still thinking on that.

Quote:

Has there been a democratic vote on these actions you want to take? I do not remember seeing such a notice.

This discussion is as close as we're going to get. I'd love to make it a democracy and vote on this stuff, but I'm the one who has to deal with the consequences of all these decisions, in addition to our moderators. I simply have to make the site manageable for me, or away it goes. This is not censorship! It's just about accountability.

Quote:

If you are "afoot" for excluding e-mail on your forum and don't mind the extra coding, then have your program scan each receiving message before posting to look for certain designated words (you know the four lettered ones) and if it finds it, the message will not be posted.

I can add that. I already wrote a filter for the Marketplace, and it has worked great. Some words are filtered out of the forum posts already.
Wheat_Grass_Juice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd,

Your reply sounds good to me and as I have said, I am rather new here on YOUR forum.

I will help you out ---- this key symbol " " and or this key symbol " / " does not show when used with two words together. Here is the test: andor and ifwhen are two words inwhich I often use this symbol. Maybe and/or and if/when will work and we'll see at this time.

We'll more later,

Liad

[ This Message was edited by: Wheat_Grass_Juice on 2002-09-26 22:15 ]
Wheat_Grass_Juice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

The above message symbol " " got deleted automatically by this program after an edit was made. I have also composed many messages that have combined words and because this symbol was deleted that I have gone into edit just to separate andor use other words in their place.

Is it a problem or a cost factor to implement a word processing program to write TH messages? Netmusician.org seems to be using Word ... at least it is showing Word textgraphic buttons for text composition.

Would a spell check weigh down this forum too much in memory usage?

This will be my last comment on what you have coded just now for this forum, Blocklists. It does not speak well for the members of this forum that they are so intolerable to others that you had to code such a function.

It reminds me of the story when several people were in a boat and one person got up and start poking a hole under his seat. The other people shouted, Hey! What are you doing?! He said that this is his seat and he can do whatever his wants with it. The moral of the story is that we are all responsible for everyone to live in harmony with each other. If there is a problem, then we have to find ways to resolve it. Shutting or ignoring it by using Blocklist can not be a good solution for this forum, IMO.

Liad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: