• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Bentley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 01:05, Blue Devil wrote:
I too, would like to say that I find removing John as moderator slightly disturbing...and also aggravating. How is it that everything here is taken so seriously that someone who voluntarily offers solid advice - voluntarily, that is - is told that his services are no longer required? How do you get fired from a volunteer job? How do we get to the point that everything is taken so seriously that this happens?

Sure John may come across as being arrogant, but if you review his posts you'll also see that he realizes this and jokes about it. Throughout the nuclear holocaust of a discussion that preceeded this removal, wasn't John only strongly standing up for what he passionately believes to be the truth...as were the others that responded to his comments? Yet people have to take everything here so seriously that they feel they are getting personally attacked - and next thing you know, we are removing one of the moderators. What happens to the other moderators that came into question and contributed to the aforemention nuclear holocaust of a discussion?

Didn't someone just post something recently asking why we can't get posters with some substantial backgrounds to post to the trumpetherald? Here is John, who like it or not has a very respectable resume, and he is being told that he is no longer wanted as a moderator. John (as well as some of the other regular posters that have studied with Claude for a long period of time that have posted to that forum), I believe, have added a lot to my knowledge of the Claude Gordon approach as I am going through Claude's Systematic Approach, as well as the rest of the trumpetherald.

I think the administrator owes it to the posters in the Claude Gordon forum to say specifically why John is being removed as moderator, instead of simply saying that he is. Other people have mentioned that there are "legal issues" involved with John's responses? Really?? Is that how far out of hand this has gotten? Do we really think there are legal issues that can be brought up here, and that the administrator can be sued over John's comments? Granted, I'm not a lawyer - just a software engineer - and maybe there are legal issues. If there are, I would like to hear that specifically from the administrator.

John - thank you for all of the effort that you (and all of the other moderators) have spent, without any compensation, posting to this site. You have answered a number of my questions personally, and I appreciate that. I can only hope that you continue to post to this site, that everyone involved in this site can lighten up, and that the administrator reconsiders his decision.

Mike Trzesniak

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2002-09-19 01:08 ]</font>

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2002-09-19 01:09 ]</font>

Moderators are to abide by rules and John Mohan could not obey them and honor them.
Dont blast the system administrator who is the ultimate free provider in offering this forum in the first place.
The system administrators reputation of his forum and his entire site is at stake when you have a loose cannon like John Mohan runing around.
Go and observe the last two months and look at how Mohan and his vindictive style escalates. Don't ask the administrator to do your own home work for you.
A more proper question to question the sytem administrator with would be why was this not done sooner.
Most likely because the administrator is a super nice guy who gave Mohan lots of chances and tried to keep him under control. It is obvious that much latitude was being given to Mohan and the proverbial give em an inch and they will take a mile certainly applies to someone like John Mohan who has a very ugly history from the earlier older forums. The fact that Mohan was even given a second chance at all by allowing him to become a moderator showed a great deal of tolerance by Todd.
So you guys can drop the stuff with harrassing Todd because he already gave much flexibility in dealing with Mohan so don't act surprised about this recent decision.

WB
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to John Mohan - - a very knowledgable CG forum moderator/advocate.

Who is the "we" you mentioned Todd?

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd has done alot behind the scenes to try and diffuse this whole situation that has come to pass. A standard of conduct was created for each moderator to follow, is Todd to blame that one completely disregarded this code of conduct? I have seen a problem child in a group setting who's bad behavior was encouraged by others who laughed at his antics, the attention given caused the child to act even worse. It may be that instead of patting him on the back those that were urging him on should have tried to help him conform to the standard of behavior for a forum moderator. I don't think Quad or any others can blame Todd or anyone else but themselves for what has happened.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make this brief.

I have already spent a whole lot more of my (practice) time on the Herald then I should have.

1) I keep seeing the SC people claiming that I attack other "methods" constantly. This is factually incorrect (as a lot of their claims tend to be).

I have stated my opinions of SC and these opinions tend to be in the negative. SC is a "method", not "methods". I have been quite supportive of the other forums and (proven) methods such as the "Bill Adams", "Chicago School" and others.

2) I posted a bit of a bluff the other day - I wrote that I was able to delete all the crap posted by "bachboy2" in about 45 seconds. This was an effort on my part to persuade him not to spend hours of his time ruining our forums. Although the TH Administrator is currently creating a querie that can and will delete everything posted by such a jerk instantly, this was not actually the case as of yesterday.

I actually sat for nearly TWO HOURS deleting each and every post left by "bachboy 2" on the Claude Gordon forum. And I received a kindly worded Private Message from the administrator thanking me for my time and dedication to this matter and to the CG forum in general. And then, upon arriving home from the theater last night, I find that I've been "removed" as the CG Moderator by this same administrator.

I've NEVER felt so backstabbed in all my life.

It is a sad day when a few aggressive individuals interested in promoting and profitting financially from their own agenda (hidden away in a private forum) can reach out from their private little profit center and cause this to happen to someone who did nothing more than dedicate his time and energy (with no financial gains planned or realized) to helping those out there who want to improve their ability as trumpet players.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-instate John

The issue here isn’t whether you think john is a nice or nasty guy. If john’s comments have in some way overstepped legal boundaries then fair enough John has to go, but if John’s sacking as Claude Gordon forum moderator is just based on the fact that he writes “vindictive” comments, it is wrong.

I have met John in person and one thing is for sure John Mohan knows what he is talking about when it comes to the teachings of Claude Gordon. Surely for that reason alone he should stay.

I don’t agree with everything John says, in fact, I don’t even practise exclusively Claude Gordon technique, but if he offends you, don’t read his posts, simple as that.
John has seriously helped me out with my playing, and many others too, and it will be a great shame if he isn’t re-instated.
Murray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion. Re-instate John.
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, go to bed, wake up and, as mr. bentley would say "NUCLEAR EXPLOSION". WOW, WOW, are you kidding. what happened to FREEDOM OF SPEECH?? did/do all the moderators have to agree not to say something that other methods won't like?? just curious. while i didn't agree with the way john went about his business sometimes, does he not have the right to voice his opinion, dogmatic as it may be?? since mr. bentley dosn't like some of my posts, does that mean i can't post anymore??

i know, blood, sweat, tears,broken bones, gunfire, tornados, hurricanes, nuclear explosions and the like, go ahead and let me have it bentley.

WWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-19 09:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-19 09:55 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 07:05, histrumpet wrote:
Todd has done alot behind the scenes to try and diffuse this whole situation that has come to pass. A standard of conduct was created for each moderator to follow, is Todd to blame that one completely disregarded this code of conduct? I have seen a problem child in a group setting who's bad behavior was encouraged by others who laughed at his antics, the attention given caused the child to act even worse. It may be that instead of patting him on the back those that were urging him on should have tried to help him conform to the standard of behavior for a forum moderator. I don't think Quad or any others can blame Todd or anyone else but themselves for what has happened.

When I became moderator I agreed to "tone down" a bit - which I did.

But back then I stated (via private message to the administrator) that if a question was asked, I would offer my opinion and that I wasn't going to give that right up just to be a moderator.

The question was asked (about SuperChops) on the fundementals forum, I gave my opinion. I even left a second message stating that this was my opinion and that I hadn't tried SuperChops and only knew what I knew about it based on what I have seen on the Internet (as I have never met an SC player in the Professional World).

I'm only a "problem child" to the SC people because I bring up FACTS that don't help them sell their product.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-18 23:23, Jason Davis wrote:

trptbenge

Dude you really need to look around out in the forum a little better. Mohan has done a great deal more than ask questions and refuse to acknowledge and respect others answers just because they don't fit his way of thinking. He further refuses to engage in a legitimate debate and claims that he does not have to back up what he says with his theories about playing. However he can gleefully pounce on other methods and proclaim them to be little more than "dribble" however Mohan will not provide significant evidence to refute that which he disagrees with. So he just needs to stay quiet but he refuses to act in fairness toward those who he pounces on.
A moderator does not act like this and it is a bad example for the website.
I fully agree with Todd for this decision.
Those who prefer Mohans brand of behavior could all join up and make their own site and bash others until their hearts content.
The system administrator no doubt does not share in that type of setting and does not want it here. Neither do I, I stopped letting my son come to this forum becuase of those who have deteriorated the environment.

Todd keep up the good work this is a good forum with much potential. Im behind your decision and fully support you in doing so. I know that you are a fair person.

I applaude Todd for doing this

Jason

First of all, John can most certainly back up what he is talking about. I know this from hearing him play just yesterday. The proof is there for anyone to see if they care to take a look. John is a currently working professional musician. Translation for those who don't get this: He makes his living playing his trumpet. He isn't some wannabe putzing around the house on his horn, like me for instance, trying to talk the talk but unable to really walk the walk. He's actually out there doing it and getting paid. This speaks volumes to me, even if I hadn't heard him play.

Something that John has said to someone hit a nerve and I think that is the reason he was removed, not because he was stirring up trouble. The truth always hurts when you are on the defensive and it doesn't take a lot to see the writing on the wall as to who got bruised up by something that he said.

My vote is to reinstate John as the Claude Gordon Forum moderator. I agree with John that he shouldn't have to give up his right to debate just because he is a moderator and I never saw anything from him that was so flamingly scathing as to warrant his removal from the post. There is my lowly 2 cents, for what it's worth.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 03:07, William Bentley wrote:

Go and observe the last two months and look at how Mohan and his vindictive style escalates. Don't ask the administrator to do your own home work for you.

So you guys can drop the stuff with harrassing Todd because he already gave much flexibility in dealing with Mohan so don't act surprised about this recent decision.

WB

WB -

Who is asking the administrator to do my own homework for me? I have read all of the posts from the recent explosion that preceded this action, and I still stand by what I said in my earlier post. All I'm asking is for the administrator to state why John is being removed - he didn't do that in his original post at the top of this thread.

I guess, like others, I also am wondering who the "we" is that made the decision to remove John, if there is only one system administrator.

Once again, I think people need to lighten up, and put everything into its propper perspective...but that's just my opinion - we're still all entitled to our own opinions, right?

Mike Trzesniak
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh mike that's awful, terrible, how could you say something like that??

i'm with you, just curious how this happened and what the rules for the moderators are??
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed in reading of John Mohan's removal as CG moderator. I know that some of the people who post on the TH consider Johns comments and challenges to be "bashing", but I just don't see their point. I don't read everything that John Mohan writes, but from what I've seen, he maintains a consistent tone of honest and fair discourse. Of course, to John's detractors, I'm a "Mohan minion"; I believe that I was even labeled as such at one time [Isn't this a form of bashing].

I assume that much of the criticism of John has to do with stuff that he wrote in the SuperChops forum. I don't know most of what went on in there, since I gave up on trying to learn more about Jerome Callet's work from his adherents here at the TH. Now that the SC forum is closed, I have no way of determining if the criticisms of John are valid or simply the Big Lie, which if said often enough, becomes the accepted truth.

BTW: I did receive emails from someone who was booted out of the SC forum [a current student of Callet's] for apparently not posting politically correct material. My correspondence with this SC "black sheep" was informative, and even though I questioned him about what he was learning from Callet, our emails never degenerated into what I've seen so often from the SC clique at the TH.

Since the TH moderator never cited his reasons for dumping John Mohan, or, even better yet, offered the proof of Mohan's indiscretions, the only people who will understand the reason for Mohan's displacement will be those who apparently need no reason nor proof.

This whole affair sours my feelings for the TH. I know that there ARE important people in the trumpet world who read, and occasionally pseudonymously post here. John is an example of the level of player [an active pro of undisputed ability] that we want to attract to the Forum. I feel that if I'm dissuaded from coming to, let alone posting on, this site, then the TH will probably fall away from the interest of anyone outside of the clique that seems to serve as a modern day Inquisition.

The Forum has seemed to serve as a place that can include academic [as in Plato's ideals] discussion of ideas. It seems to be moving towards the "scholastic" ideal: one in which the only discussion that will be tolerated is one that supports the dogma of those who, by force of intimidation, set the agenda of what is OK and what is not OK. These people are narrow-minded bullies, and their tactics are in the style of radical fundamentalism ... something that we should all be wary of in today's world.

I expect the bashing that John has received to come my way ... as it has before. What a pathetic way for people to behave in a site that should be above the fray of unsupported, personal attack.

walter
wsharshon@hotmail.com.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man! Talk about a gut punch!!! Like everyone, I've witnessed in reading, some of the arguments that went on. However, John knew what he was talking about when it came to the Gordon method. I also agree with him in that from what I read, most of the turmoil originated within discussions about SC and its advocators. Is one method superior to another...Think NOT! Anyway, I share the sentiments of many when I say, John's help and knowledge will surely be missed!!! Best to ya' John!!!
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-18 21:22, Big Jake wrote:
Quote:
Johns continual bashing of other systems and methods obviously puts the Trumpet Herald website at risk and liability.
My understanding is that moderators are officers of the website and are suppose to refrain from bashing,vindictive type actions in particular against other teaching philosophies or systems.
Jake

Hi
You say John Mohans posts put the TH website at risk and liability. Do you mean legally, ie. someone can sue the SA because of Johns post (as a moderator)? or is it that people might refrain from using the site because they don't like Johns' posts?
If it is a legal problem, surely someone must be libelled. Has anyone been libelled by John Mohan in these forums yet? If anyone here feels they have been libelled, would they sue Todd or John?
If this is the problem the surely the SA couldn't be held liable if he removes the offending post when told about it.
I just can't see where the risk to the site is from. If you don't like what the guy posts that's one thing, but I think the only risk to this site is if Todd pulls the plug.
If any of the factions here decide to leave there will be plenty of folk left.
all the best
Brian Jones
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bunch of CRAP! I personally found TH through searching for Claude Gordon materials on the internet. Since then I have taken lessons with John and gained much respect for his skills as a player and a teacher.

This is totally uncalled for and unacceptable. I will be checking to see if John wil be reinstated. If not TH will be removed from my regular surfing time. I don't want to be a part of a group of people still stuck in second grade. If you can't handle people confronting your opinions don't give them. Whining to the teacher (SA) about how little Johny called you a name (disagreed with your post(s)) is childish.

If you'll excuse me I have to go practice my Claude Gordon materials so I can learn to play properly.
Max Reverb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud the action. A moderator holds a position of responsibility. John has continually acted irresponsibly in forums outside of CG. There's a great example of it in the recent Pop's McLaughlin threads in Fundamentals. If we were in real space instead of cyberspace, Mr. McLaughlin would have a legitimate defamation of character case against Mohan. I think Mohan has been gone from the states too long and forgot his American manners. I'd like to know why he left in the first place. I don't think he could cut it here, so he left so he could be a big fish in a small pond. He obviously has some ego/confidence problems and must get some kind of satisfaction putting other people down. There is no place for this kind of behavior here. I hope others who condescend on people will stand up and take notice.
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THERE'S AN ECHO IN HERE.

OK, SO YOU PUT MOHAN DOWN AND THEN TURNAROUND AND SAY THERE'S NO ROOM FOR THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR. OOOKKKKAAAAYYYYY/ :???:

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-19 14:55 ]
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I call MAXIMUM REVERB..Reverb..reverb...!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: comebackkid on 2002-09-19 14:51 ]
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 14:42, Max Reverb wrote:
I think Mohan has been gone from the states too long and forgot his American manners. I'd like to know why he left in the first place. I don't think he could cut it here, so he left so he could be a big fish in a small pond. He obviously has some ego/confidence problems and must get some kind of satisfaction putting other people down. There is no place for this kind of behavior here. I hope others who condescend on people will stand up and take notice.

Here we go again
Big fish in a small pond!! I reckon there are more folk making a living playing a trumpet in Europe than in the US. There will be more pro show work, more orchestras.
Why is it that when you folk have a argument with John Mohan the final insult is always that he ran over to Europe because he couldn't cut it in the US.
There are plenty of folk over here who can play, and play just as well as in the US. This post isn't anti US or pro European. I think there are great players in depth on both sides of the Atlantic, I just get a bit miffed when you think your cast offs come over here to work.
If you don't like what John Mohan posts then fine - argue/discuss the topic. But if he is playing in the pit for a pro production in a major european city he can really play - whether you like it or not. It doesn't matter how hard or easy the dots are, the competition for such a gig is fierce.
As for putting people down, what about telling us we are losing jobs to your cast offs.
Thanks
Brian Jones
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Brian!!! Although we in the US to some extent enjoy the ability to somewhat flourish" with the availability of venues and potential for performance, it has no bearing on the ability of players from overseas and abroad. I've always thought that trumpet players were a "brotherhood". Sure, we may not always agree with each other's opinions but the fact that we chose to tackle the "beast" we know and love as the Trumpet, merits respect no matter WHERE you're from or where and with whom you choose to share your craft and knowledge!! I'm fortunate enough to have friends from different backgrounds, nationalities, etc. All of whom are formidable players in thier own right. Its a lot of fun to learn how they came to the US or why they went back overseas. I can tell you this though, if they went back, it DEFINITELY had nothing to do with playing abilities!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: