• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

Although it was not my original intention, it seems appropriate that I respond on this topic.

Several of you have asked who the 'we' is in my original post - it is not anyone involved with the Forum either as moderator or member. I should have just said 'I.'

John Mohan has contributed more to this site than nearly all of the members, and can and hopefully will continue to do so. He has spent a large amount of time writing, editing, responding, and reaching out to members of the board. He has helped a great many people and knows Claude's approach inside and out. I suspect he is a superb performer. He is also combative, and that's not meant in a critical way. We just have an apparent difference of opinion on how much of that combativeness should be expressed in his role as a moderator. This site is lessened by his absence, so I hope that he will continue to be a presence. Remember that he is still a member of the Forum, just no longer a moderator.

This has nothing to do with the relative merits of any 'playing system' or 'school' discussed on this board, or any 'clique' of players adhering to any of these approaches. I'm simply doing my best to run a site which is interesting and valuable for everyone, and to keep the atmosphere as positive as is possible.

As to where we go from here, I'm not sure. The position of CG forum moderator is open. There are some cool new things on the horizon for the Herald, stay tuned for those in the fall. I'm open to suggestions.

Yours in music,

Editor
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 14:42, Max Reverb wrote:
I applaud the action. A moderator holds a position of responsibility. John has continually acted irresponsibly in forums outside of CG. There's a great example of it in the recent Pop's McLaughlin threads in Fundamentals. If we were in real space instead of cyberspace, Mr. McLaughlin would have a legitimate defamation of character case against Mohan. I think Mohan has been gone from the states too long and forgot his American manners. I'd like to know why he left in the first place. I don't think he could cut it here, so he left so he could be a big fish in a small pond. He obviously has some ego/confidence problems and must get some kind of satisfaction putting other people down. There is no place for this kind of behavior here. I hope others who condescend on people will stand up and take notice.

Pointing out the FACTS concerning "Pops"'s main career as an elementary school teacher, that he has never been a professional trumpet player and the fact that he has no great results (i.e. trumpet proteges that are able to make a living with their horns) is not "defamation of character".

I left the States because a wonderful, beautiful 19 year-old German Girl came to Los Angeles on a one year Student Visa. We met in the Pierce College Symphonic Wind Ensemble (where I played every Monday night for 7 years to keep up my "Legit" Chops - she plays saxophone). We fell in love. She had to move back to Germany in the Summer of 1997 to complete her Education as an Occupational Therapist. For the next year and a half, we spent about $500 a month on phone calls and airfares and all. Eventually (in the end of 1998) I got rid of my 4 bedroom home with a heated swimming pool in the back that I had in West Hills (in the San Fernando Valley) and moved to Germany in December 1998. My friends and colleagues thought I was crazy to give up a successful freelance career in LA for a woman 16 years younger than me in a foreign country where I didn't even speak the language, let alone have any contacts in the music business. The results:

Anne and I have been happily together for more than 5 years now. We celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary on September 15, 2002 (last week).

Within one month of arriving in Germany, I landed a job subbing for the Opera in Luebeck for a month (January 1999). By April 1999 I was playing 4 - 7 times a month with a Gala Band called Valendras at 600 DM (about $400) per night. By May 1999 I was playing 1st trumpet for the musical "Cats" in Hamburg Germany, where I continued until September 2000, when I auditioned for and won the position of 2nd trumpet with duty to play 1st at Disney's "Hunchback of Notre Dame" in Berlin ("Cats" Hamburg was scheduled to close at the end of the year 2000). And so on.

I lived a very good life in Los Angeles. Made enough money for that house, a 20 foot Bayliner, a Bronco, an Audi and a 240-Z. And by the way, Europe is a pretty big pond. Ask Maurice Andre.

I don't have "ego problems". I ain't the greatest trumpet player in the world. I'd say I'm better than most, not as good as some. What I've got ability wise, I've worked hard for, maybe harder than the average person has to. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to study with Claude Gordon. I try to share what I learned with him with other interested "strugglers" out there. I remember very well the frustrations of trying to improve using various "quick-fix" "theory-methods". I try to steer young struggling players away from such things that in my opinion cause more harm than good to their playing.

That's the way it is, like it or not.

John Mohan

P.S. Still got the 240-Z. Had it shipped over here. It is WAY COOL on the Autobahn!!!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 20:17, trumpetherald wrote:
Hello:

Although it was not my original intention, it seems appropriate that I respond on this topic.

Several of you have asked who the 'we' is in my original post - it is not anyone involved with the Forum either as moderator or member. I should have just said 'I.'

John Mohan has contributed more to this site than nearly all of the members, and can and hopefully will continue to do so. He has spent a large amount of time writing, editing, responding, and reaching out to members of the board. He has helped a great many people and knows Claude's approach inside and out. I suspect he is a superb performer. He is also combative, and that's not meant in a critical way. We just have an apparent difference of opinion on how much of that combativeness should be expressed in his role as a moderator. This site is lessened by his absence, so I hope that he will continue to be a presence. Remember that he is still a member of the Forum, just no longer a moderator.

This has nothing to do with the relative merits of any 'playing system' or 'school' discussed on this board, or any 'clique' of players adhering to any of these approaches. I'm simply doing my best to run a site which is interesting and valuable for everyone, and to keep the atmosphere as positive as is possible.

As to where we go from here, I'm not sure. The position of CG forum moderator is open. There are some cool new things on the horizon for the Herald, stay tuned for those in the fall. I'm open to suggestions.

Yours in music,

Editor

Thank you for you kind words in the above post.

It is the way in which you went about removing me as moderator that I find very hurtful and upsetting. If you had e-mailed me and asked me to either step down or recant what I have recently written, I would have willingly, gladly chosen to step down. And I would have written to everybody of my decision. And there would have been no turmoil.

To one and all, I appreciate your words and efforts to have me reinstated, but my own wish is to remain a normal member of the Herald. I'm tired of holding back to a certain extent when I see the many misrepresentations and lies posted by members of a certain camp.

I would suggest to those people that they should from now on take the high road and be a bit more honest in their claims (for instance about who does and does not use their "system" of brass development). I'll be watching and the gloves are now off.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Quote:
It is the way in which you went about removing me as moderator that I find very hurtful and upsetting. If you had e-mailed me and asked me to either step down or recant what I have recently written, I would have willingly, gladly chosen to step down. And I would have written to everybody of my decision. And there would have been no turmoil.

You're right about this and I screwed up. After some things which have happened to me in the past, I should have known better.

Editor

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetherald on 2002-09-20 08:27 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Let's just hope that the others here on the Herald will take your time and experience and actually read with an open mind the things that you have to say about playing trumpet. I can understand you not wanting to be the CG Forum moderator anymore although I'm not sure who's gonig to step forward to try to fill those shoes. (Operative word being "try") I tend to think that I would be a little bitter about being removed from the post too had it happened to me.

Let's just hope the we can move forward from this and put it all behind us, but I have to admit, I'm just a bit soured by what transpired as well so my involvement here might deminish as well. (And the crowd goes wild! )

Good luck John and keep nailing it down like you do.

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-09-20 08:52 ]
Concerned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been viewing posts on this website forum for about a year and a half now. I have never been compelled to post in the past, but have been contented o raise a small chuckle at some of the childish rantings that seem to emanate from the world of the trumpet. Disagreements about how our lips should fit into the mouthpiece; about whether a Strad is better than a Shilcke; who's got the biggest gonads!

Everything I have seen today has forced me to comment. When are the lot of you going to grow up? When are you going to learn to switch off if somebody says something you don't agree with? Trumpet players are all the same. I used to be a freelance player in major symphony orchestras. I quit. The egos that were bandied around on stage were sickening. Everybody was there to do their job, and yet there was always the feeling that one of the players down the line was staring at you, willing you to make a mistake. I now play solely in the commercial field. The standard of musicianship is the same. The level of ability on a par with players in the orchestras, and yet my life is so much more uncomplicated. The egos are no longer there. We go in, do our job and go to the pub. There is respect all round. Why the hell can't trumpet players respect each other? That is why John Mohan is being flamed. Trumpet players are the same the world over, and I think it's very sad.

Unfortunately all the issues that have been raised here are indicative of the world of trumpet playing. Getting rid of John Mohan isn't going to solve anything. Why? Because you're all trumpet players.

Just my thoughts!
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Concerned. See you at the pub, I've got a pint with your name on it.
O-Ring
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring mohan back..................
wonder woman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 18:49, O-Ring wrote:

As far as I can tell he has never left. He is still posting.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW writes:

"As far as I can tell he has never left. He is still posting."

....GOOD!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-21 10:57, wonder woman wrote:
Quote:

Hi Wonder Woman,

Do you think this is a good thing, that I never left?

Awaiting your answer,

John Mohan
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-21 12:02, Roddyo-iii<O wrote:
WW writes:

"As far as I can tell he has never left. He is still posting."

....GOOD!

Thank you Roddy.

JM
Jason Davis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-27 09:11, John Mohan wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Wonder Woman,

Awaiting your answer,

John Mohan

I have to say this is pretty petty stuff Mr Mohan. Why must you keep this going? If WonderWoman says that she thinks it's not a good thing for you to be around then most likely you will just start another fight and have someone new to attack and take your animosity out on. I suspect that if you can bait someone and get the thread dirty enough to have it deleted like you have elsewhere in the forum.
Chill out please!

[ This Message was edited by: Jason Davis on 2002-09-29 06:08 ]
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerned had a good post. These rantings have to do with ego. John has a big one, but he is not the only one. Somehow some think being a pro makes them better than amateurs, however in some ways it makes them worse. The word amateur has its root in the French word for love and its first meaning has to do with devotion or admiration. The second meaning has to do with a pursuit as a pastime rather than a profession. However, a truer rendition would have been a pursuit out of love rather than money. The other meanings go downhill from there. Often love is absent from these postings. I still like this statement from the homepage . . . "It's a great place to hang out, learn a few things, help another trumpeter out, and make some friends."
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-29 06:04, Jason Davis wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-09-27 09:11, John Mohan wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Wonder Woman,

Awaiting your answer,

John Mohan

I have to say this is pretty petty stuff Mr Mohan. Why must you keep this going? If WonderWoman says that she thinks it's not a good thing for you to be around then most likely you will just start another fight and have someone new to attack and take your animosity out on. I suspect that if you can bait someone and get the thread dirty enough to have it deleted like you have elsewhere in the forum.
Chill out please!

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Jason Davis on 2002-09-29 06:08 ]</font>

Jason,

It wasn't petty. I was just asking with a bit of a sense of "tongue in cheek" humor. That's all. Nothing negative, just a friendly question.

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-29 10:12, edtaylor wrote:
Concerned had a good post. These rantings have to do with ego. John has a big one, but he is not the only one. Somehow some think being a pro makes them better than amateurs, however in some ways it makes them worse. The word amateur has its root in the French word for love and its first meaning has to do with devotion or admiration. The second meaning has to do with a pursuit as a pastime rather than a profession. However, a truer rendition would have been a pursuit out of love rather than money. The other meanings go downhill from there. Often love is absent from these postings. I still like this statement from the homepage . . . "It's a great place to hang out, learn a few things, help another trumpeter out, and make some friends."

Along the same line, in his Autobiographical Sketches, Clarke calls himself an "amateur" and states that he is one for the same reasons you write in your post, Ed.

He writes that he is always trying to improve his playing, even as late in his career as he was when he wrote his words.

I feel the same, in that I am always trying to improve my playing.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point John, I overlooked an important fact . . . that one can pursue something out of love, but be paid for doing so. Someone once told me that the ideal job is one that you would do even if you were not being paid to do so. That may be stretching the point . . . but you get the gist.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-01 20:24, edtaylor wrote:
Good point John, I overlooked an important fact . . . that one can pursue something out of love, but be paid for doing so. Someone once told me that the ideal job is one that you would do even if you were not being paid to do so. That may be stretching the point . . . but you get the gist.

I agree about that "ideal job" sentiment. And I can tell you that if I had an alternate source of income that didn't require any of my time (like being independently wealthy), I'd still be practicing and performing on my trumpet as much as I do now - maybe more!

But I'd still try to get paid as much as possible, if possible.

John
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and to the rest on this forum.

I have endeavored to stay out of this forum for various reason but am inspired to enter at this time.

John, I respect your teacher very much and have a couple of his books. In fact, I would like to get them all.

Whatever the accusations charged against you were, you still can not be divorced from the knowledge you obtained from your teacher and which you willing to impart to us.

I have read wherein one famous trumpet player tried to beat up one of his students in order to get him to get serious about his trumpet playing. As I have been reading various posts around other forums in TH, I am convinced that as we are beating up each other, this might be an inherited trait among trumpet players. I think that I am wrong but there are others here who will have to prove me wrong.

I for one am willing to give you my support to bring you back.

Liad
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey todd,

please program the hand slapper. see, even liad wants it. TH toughman is definitely needed boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: