• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Student going to drive me insane?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I have a student who is in 10th grade who plays like a 5th or 6th grader. NO LIE. I want to help this kid but he can't even get the CONCEPT of rythm. Or for that matter, playing the horn using air.
.....running out of options......going down fast.....send reinforcements
Jeff Young

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my high school playing days back in the 60's I was taking private lessons every Saturday morning. For a time a younger student was taking his lesson right before mine, and guess what? His profile was exactly the same as the student you have described. My teacher, a normally constructive and unusually patient man, was a total case of blown nerves at the end of these lessons. All the while I was wondering if that young man wanted to be there either. He had no focus and probably no real interest in the pursuit of learning the trumpet, and the teacher's rantings probably pushed him away furthur. Fortunately for all he was gone after a few weeks.

Your problem student may fall into a different category, however. He might really love music and desperately desire success at trumpet playing, but just can't seem to put things together. Of course talent and dedicated hard work come into the picture, but I'm sure that you would be quite content to see this student make some progress within the scope of his abilities. Jeff Smiley (trumpetteacher), who frequently posts here on TH would probably be glad to advise you as he has taught a great many middle and high school students over the years.

BTW, have you ever seen the movie, "Mr. Holland's Opus"? It's a reasonably good portrayl of the challenges faced by band directors everywhere.

Jeff Young
SummerSong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: SummerSong on 2004-05-05 10:08 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this kid has been playing for several years? Probably has just been concerned with getting the notes - playing the band music. If he is in 10th grade and taking lessons, I guess he WANTS to learn to really play.

Isolate the issues - old habits die hard, so you do need patience. I remember my college instructor saying one of the most important things I would need as a teacher is PATIENCE. The student needs to be willing to work with you though.
I would start the session with something that JUST involves blowing and counting. I use whole note scales - I have a piano with a drum track that I use. We play a low c, then d, c, then e,d,c. and expand the scale. just slurred whole note. get the blowing going.
Unless he is only ever going to play SOLO, he needs to learn to count. just because he is 10th grade doesn't mean you shouldn't go back to a 4th grade lesson on counting.
I use scales for counting too. A basic game that gets them focused on counting could be just getting them to count by 2, 3, and 4. play 2/3/4 quarter notes on each pitch in the scale. Then I will tell them play 1/8 note on beat 2. comng down the scale - put 1/8 notes on beat 2 & 3. I mix them up and the kids enjoy the challenge, and getting into the groove. Maybe that is too basic for you. I am never worried to get kids back to basics, to find out where a breakdown is. I want to see them tapping their foot also. I have had kids play correctly but tap incorrectly, and we go back. I tell them they have to train their foot. Then when rhythms get difficult - the foot will guide them.
When it comes to working on music - separate the rhythmic and melodic elements. count it, Tah it - play it.
Everyone needs a challenge - sound like you got one.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is that he has to want to play the trumpet. He has to learn to have fun with it. Or maybe he just needs to see how fun it can be. This will make things allot easier.

I would write out some easy pop tunes for him to play that way his confidence level will go up and he will see that making music is fun and possible if you try. From then on everything else should just come.

I have used this method. During the begining of band camp this 9th grader hated band. Then I figured out the notes to a rap song by lil wayne i think.. anyway he really liked and i taught him how to play. He played that for hours. It really helped him to get back in shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the rewards come when you can actually play the horn. Most of the kids I teach want to know how to play 'right'. They know if they are guessing at rhythms. they know they are sunk without someone to follow - to see how it goes. They don't want to admit it in public. Like people who can't read. it is an embarrassment their whole life -they will hide it from family members. But in a private lesson we bare all - admit shortcomings and figure out how to conquer.
If it is an issue of needing to try to spark an interest with a young player - yeah. Always the goal is enjoyment. we all want to play music. But I think the strugglers are much more aware of their shortcomings than the better ones might think. They know if they suck and the lack of confidence makes them suck worse. Give them the skills, build the confidence honestly - then they will be writing out the tunes they want to play on their own.
---my practice is the first lesson I ask them wht their strengths and weaknesses are. It wouldn't take me long to figure it out on my own, but I want to start a dialogue. And I am most interested in their self assessment. I had one this summer - a kid playing 3 years. told me had no strengths: weaknesses " the notes"
After 2 months he really doesn't play that much better, but is secure in what he is doing and is now starting to make headway as he is no longer guessing and second guessing.
that's my thing anyway. I just don't think a teacher's job is really to coddle and entertain.
and, why are there kids in band who hate band? what is that about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: