• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn repair and refinishing in the Dallas, TX area?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Horn repair and refinishing in the Dallas, TX area? Reply with quote

What are my options for horn repair and refinishing in the Dallas, TX area? I have an older brass horn in decent shape I'd like to get cleaned up and possibly re-lacquered. I prefer to be able to speak with the person working on my instruments so I tend to avoid shops that sub the work out to nameless craftsmen.

Thanks
JazzInBb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Texas, but Charlie Melk in Wisconsin does outstanding work at a reasonable price. Search TH - You'll see quite a bit of people agree.

Again, not Texas, but Rich Ita is very reputable and the work I've seen that he's done was very good. He's in Georgia or Alabama I believe. He shows up quite a bit on TH as referals too.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn repair and refinishing in the Dallas, TX area? Reply with quote

elExtranjero wrote:
What are my options for horn repair and refinishing in the Dallas, TX area? I have an older brass horn in decent shape I'd like to get cleaned up and possibly re-lacquered. I prefer to be able to speak with the person working on my instruments so I tend to avoid shops that sub the work out to nameless craftsmen.

Thanks

David's Instrument Repair in Carrollton has done some good work for me. David does all the work himself.
-Mark Walberg
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Dave, too.

Mike
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David is a one man operation and he will work on your horn. No need to worry about it getting sent out elsewhere. Another is Robert out at Mr. E's out in Keller(which I know is a haul from McKinney). He did work on a friend of mine's Leblanc flugel and Olds Ambassador and did a nice job on both. I'm thinking about having him look at my old Leblanc. I believe some of the other TH posters from the other end of the DFW metroplex use him and have excellent things to say as well.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
wesstewart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie, I agree on Robert at Mr. E's I just had my 1971 Bach Stradivarius Cornet reworked and re-lacquered after it sat idle in storage for 31 years. It had several dents and the bell was messed up from someone knocking it out of my lap 32 years ago. I can't say why I ever quit playing, but I pulled it out of storage got it fixed and started playing again. I love what Robert did for my cornet, I am proud of it again. Call Robert Miller at metro 817-379-1444. I think he used to work in a brass factory many years ago.

Last edited by wesstewart on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesstewart wrote:
I think he used to work in a brass factory many years ago.

I believe someone on here said he worked for Reynolds many years ago.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Dennis Houghton (Sp?)?
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephus07 wrote:

Where does Dennis Houghton (sp?) work?
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Eric Edwards Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of or had experience with Eric Edwards? He apparently worked for a local Brook Mays for a while and now has a shop with Ann McMillan on the UNT campus. Ms. McMillan teaches brass instrumet repair at UNT.

thanks
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elExtranjero wrote:
josephus07 wrote:

Where does Dennis Houghton (sp?) work?

Per the musictrader's page

HOUGHTON, DENNIS
Houghton Custom Horns
1021 Conchos Cir. W.
Keller, Texas 76248
(817) 431-8072
Email: houghton.horns@verizon.net

About_Yourself: I am a hornist originally from Southern California. My college teachers were Fred Fox and James Decker. Further study included one year at the Northwest German Music Academy with Michael Holtzel, and post graduate work with Bill Scharnberg at UNT. Professional playing experience includes Principal Horn in Cali, Colombia; extra horn with the State Opera Theater in Detmold, Germany (while at the music academy) and various free-lance orchestra and church work in California and Texas. I'm presently Principal Horn with the Wichita Falls Symphony Orchestra - Wichita Falls, TX.

I have nineteen years experience in brass repair. I specialize in French horn repair and custom work. My customers include members of the Dallas and Ft. Worth Symphonies. Dent removal, chemical cleaning, valve adjustment and solder repairs are of the highest quality. I do valve re-building, restoration of historic instruments and screwbell conversions. I've now developed my own line of custom mouthpipes and horn bells. I've helped many university and conservatory students with resonance enhancements, mouthpipe upgrades, and customizations. My passion is to develop a superior American double horn for the serious player. If I can be of help in improving your instrument, please call or contact me by email:
houghton.horns@verizon.net Thanks! - Dennis Houghton
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: