• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So just how 2 faced are you?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: So just how 2 faced are you? Reply with quote

I made a post on another thread that I apologized for because I said something that I didn't think was nice. It was about a pro player that I really should admire -- after all, he has the big recording contract and I don't. Then I started thinking about just how two faced I really am.

I've made it pretty clear over the past couple years that I'm not a big fan of Wynton Marsalis. I do think he is a great player, and I wish I could play like him, but I just don't care for him. That one is hard to explain, especially since I really like his father and brother.

I also have made it pretty clear that I don't care for Chris Botti's playing. Once again, I have to admit that he's a good player, just not my cup of tea so to speak.

But last night I thought about it. If either of them were to come here to Lafayette I would buy tickets and go hear them play. I don't know if that is really two faced, but I'd be there just like most of the musicians in my area.

So who is it that you really don't care for, but you would be in line to buy tickets for a concert if it was in your city?

I confessed and now I feel a little better. Now it's your turn.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles Davis.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be at those concerts so that you wouldn't be "that guy" who didn't show up at the concert.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Miles Davis.

A past teacher of mine used to joke that he'd been to more Miles concerts than Miles.

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: So just how 2 faced are you? Reply with quote

bandman322 wrote:
So who is it that you really don't care for, but you would be in line to buy tickets for a concert if it was in your city?

I'm trying to think of any musicians I know (or know about) well enough to "not care for" them

Dixie Chicks - wont' buy their cd's, won't listen to their music, won't listen to radio stations that play their music (ok, I only list to NPR and jazz stations so that's not a real big thing ), and I would NOT go see them in concert. I DID like them prior to their trashing a US President in a foreign country.

I can't think of any other musicians that I don't like, but I'll add a few actors to make my list:

Hanoi Jane - won't watch her movies, always refer to her by her proper name of "Hanoi Jane" or "that traitor b*&%$" depending on present company. Will tell anyone who will listen why - she was fraternizing with the enemy and giving them positive publicity while they were killing and torturing our boys.

Sean Penn - he's not really intelligent enough to dislike. And he was over in enemy territory BEFORE the war, not DURING as was that traitor b*&%$. I won't go out of my way to watch his movies (or those of Tim Robbins or J Garofalo (sp?) ), but if my wife or kids want to watch one I will.

Just my opinions...
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an even better one: Michael Moore, but only if I didn't have to buy my own ticket. Same with Clinton's book -- I would read it if I didn't have to buy it.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Armstrong. I appriciate what he did for the music, but his playing is just not my thing, and his singing is worse.

I also think Patrick Hession is a little sloppy...IMHO, not to say I wouldn't give my right thumb to play like him. Or Louis for that matter.
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMacDaddyTPO wrote:
Louis Armstrong. I appriciate what he did for the music, but his playing is just not my thing, and his singing is worse.

Wow! but hey...to each their own.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

308WIN wrote:
mafields627 wrote:
Miles Davis.

A past teacher of mine used to joke that he'd been to more Miles concerts than Miles.

R

That's pretty funny.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum Corps. It's not that i don't like it, it's just i'm not that interested in it. But if there was a really close show near me, i'd spend the money to see what the hull-a-ba-loo is about.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, don't ostrasize me or anything, but... Maynard.

And I will be 2 faced, and WILL go see him if I am still working in Baton Rouge on Feb. 22.

I love his Roulette recordings, and envy his ability shamelessly, but the past 2 times I saw him, well, in my opinion the Mangione concert was much better, and Chuck had the flu. He also had better intonation.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 2-faced when it comes to Maynard. I don't really like screamin', but I went to see him a couple of years ago. Good concert! Maybe I'm 2-faced only when it comes to trumpet players, though. I sure wouldn't go to see anyone else I didn't really care for.
Adonias Wondwessen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh..I think...wow....I cannot think of any...seriously. I know that if I goto someone's concert, I would WANT to be there. Maybe the fact that I have never been to a live concert in my life has something to do with it. Or that it just seems like a huge waste of money...

Arsenal...
King 601-Katherine
Monette B4L- Lucy

Battle Field...
University of North Texas School of Music

Position..
Entering freshman, Music Education
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adonias Wondwessen wrote:
Or that it just seems like a huge waste of money...

Wow! Great attitude there....
Adonias Wondwessen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolf wrote:
Adonias Wondwessen wrote:
Or that it just seems like a huge waste of money...

Wow! Great attitude there....

Misconstrued statment, I truly apologize. I meant that it seems like a waste of money to go see someone that i DON'T really care for. Maaaan, I wish I could go see some good stuff. But there aren't a lot of performers around here and if there are, they perfor on days that I can't go see! But no, not a waste of money to see a concert, just a waste if I do not actually like that particular performer. Once aain, sorry about the misunderstanding...
~Adonias

Arsenal...
King 601-Katherine
Monette B4L- Lucy

Battle Field...
University of North Texas School of Music

Position..
Entering freshman, Music Education
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
OK, don't ostrasize me or anything, but... Maynard.

And I will be 2 faced, and WILL go see him if I am still working in Baton Rouge on Feb. 22.

I love his Roulette recordings, and envy his ability shamelessly, but the past 2 times I saw him, well, in my opinion the Mangione concert was much better, and Chuck had the flu. He also had better intonation.

So why would I ostrisize you after I admitted to not carrying for 2 of the most popular players in the world. I think that was the meaning of this whole thread -- different strokes for different folks.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
PRogers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go to see Maynard or Botti. I don't listen to what I don't like, and I don't hear much that I don't like (in the trumpet "realm" at least).
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was ever to go to a artist's concert who I don't care it would simply be for either two reasons:

1. Either a Friend dragged me along

or

2. curiosity

I think that #2 applies for most of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely attend any concerts any more since the ticket prices have sky rocketed. I would much rather take the wife out to eat and pick up a cd or two and listen to the artist any time I wanted to and still come out ahead. maybe I'm just to old and conservative. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm certainly NOT two-faced . . . and others around my town would vouch for that statement too!

Last week, when the guy didn't know I could hear him, I heard him tell someone,
Quote:
"That Tom Turner's not two-faced. That's for sure . . . cuz if he was, he sure wouldn't be seen using the one I see!"

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: