• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH Toughman Competition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should get the SA to sponser a toughman competition for some of our loved local competitors. we could travel to different parts of the country and have the competitors challenge each other with their horns. who plays the highest, who has the best intonation, who can play the fastest, etc...

we will have three judges, maybe: turner, dyson and willey, they seem to be fairly reasonable people. the referee could be bruce lee, he can sell some mpcs between rounds. the round "girl" can be meg.

i've come up with the following competitors, feel free to add some others.

atlanta - Mohan vs. Adams
texas - Still trying vs. Trptmaster
california - Quad C vs. Benyley

DING, DING, DING

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-19 11:39 ]
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds sort of like a trumpet herald celebrity death match.....
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm :eek:

[ This Message was edited by: histrumpet on 2002-09-19 12:17 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooby doo??
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 11:44, trumpeterb wrote:
sounds sort of like a trumpet herald celebrity death match.....

lol

yes it does

But seriously the idea of a trumpet herald competition would be cool. Like if people could send taped recordings of themselves to the judges or something. And we could have like the old people group and the young people group. and we could have this as a anual competition sorta of like how Trumpet Guild has competitions. then we could post the winner up on the page.

http://trumpeter.cjb.net
Trumpet Resource Site

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-09-19 21:34 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's the ticket!

I could enter in the category for slow jazz players who don't play many high notes who don't have great technique and who don't like to play many notes outside the changes.

Good thing Chet's out of the running . . . that way I stand a chance of making the finals!

Rich
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 00:18, BeboppinFool wrote:
I could enter in the category for slow jazz players who don't play many high notes who don't have great technique and who don't like to play many notes outside the changes.

This competition is going to be a pain in the ass if that's how the categories go....

I would be in the running for really slow (if Rich is slow!) jazz players who play a moderate number of high notes and likes to play mostly outside of the changes.

But, Rich, neither of us can compete, apparently you, Tom T and I are adjudacating. How'd I get volunteered for that? Wait, isn't Volunteers Tennessee? I guess I mean How did I get Dawged for that? Or Tech'd, whatever it is. Theres a Jawja Peach at the root of this problem. Give him a Spankin Rich!
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good nick!!!!!

apparently there were a number of members who couldn't wait for the actual competition and started the wars this weekend. and another thing, they aren't using their instruments either, they are all using their BIG MOUTHS!!

they bring new meaning to the use of "air" speed. they should all be able to play pretty high.

get a grip guys, i don't think the ladies are involved. i guess the tone in washington has trickled down to TH. this is a very sorry state of affiars. :sad:

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-23 09:51 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 11:38, spanky wrote:
we could travel to different parts of the country and have the competitors challenge each other with their horns. who plays the highest, who has the best intonation, who can play the fastest, etc...

I think that a category that should be added to the mix is how much money we make gigging annually. I don't have a chance if it is based soley on playing ability, except maybe for my sound. I'm not talking the money made as a teacher or instructor either. I'm talking church gigs, weddings, Rock Band, Big Band, shows, etc. Real gigs. I'm not gigging full time, but I don't do too badly either and the gigs that I do get pay pretty well. Otherwise, I don't stand a snowballs chance.

I believe that all the playing ability in the world is for naught if you aren't putting it out there in a performance of some kind

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-09-23 11:39 ]
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trickg:

I dont have any interest in this but...since you mentioned it..

I dont think it should be money made on gigs that should be judged but simply the amount of gigs played(if we are going down that rode).

I dont think anyone should get an award for playing in a wedding band, although thats some of the best money out there in many cases.

Love to elaborate on my playing in a wedding band philosophy.... but I'll stop there.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good point JG. Keeping that in mind, I know some pretty crummy players (myself included on certain nights) that are gigging on a regular basis in wedding bands and that sort of thing. I just don't see the point in being a fabulous player if you aren't going to use it in a performance setting, even if it is a wedding band. I admire the players that may not be the great players, but they are out there making it happen all of the time.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can call it something original like--

"TRUMPET SURVIVOR!" from the jungles of...
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky,
You are nothin' but a scaredy cat and a mama's boy. I'm surprised that you don't see the beauty in challenging me. Tech vs GA ala trumpet. Nothin' ticks me off worse than being treated like a girl by one of you guys. "Round girl" my posterior! Somebody else said it before, and I kinda had to wonder if it was a compliment or not... but I tend to agree that trumpet playin' chicks are honorary guys. I challenge you to any of Rich's duets. Of course... if you don't have the books, I guess you're at a definite disadvantage. I have all 4. Plus... I happen to know that he would do some serious coaching if I asked. So... if I were you, I'd buy his ****. Prepare to be voted off the island, country boy.
Meg
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a really good solid "G" in the staff. Is there a catagory for me to enter?

Interesting posts.
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
The General
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky, Spanky, Spanky...

Looks like Meg has added herself to the challenger list, and that you'll be her first victim. Let me give you a little inside information... I've heard her play a high G, one-handed... with a very full sound, and perfect intonation, on her Northern Brass 65****. She and I have played Rich's Duets together. She IS ready! I'd bring my crying towel, if I were you. I'm predicting a Tech first round TKO!

Since this competition was your idea, I'm assuming that you are going to be the sponsor. Tom, Rich, Nick, Meg, and I are going to have a great time touring the country on your dime. Thanks, Spanky!

Referee - Bruce Lee
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it would be cool to do this kind of stuff, however, maybe we should have some type of convention. We can invite clinicians from around the country to offer advice, demonstrations and recitals. Merchants could set up booths, you know the whole nine yards...

We could have fun in the evening with concerts and the TH toughman competition! We could rival the ITG!!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-23 22:29, PhilPicc wrote:
I play a really good solid "G" in the staff. Is there a category for me to enter?

Oh, no! It looks like I'll have to forfeit!!!

I concede to Phil . . . and I'll support you fully in your campaign for TH Toughma.... er, TH Toughperson! (How's that, Meg?)

Excuse me, folks . . . I'm headed out to the woods to eat some worms.

Rich
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmeeeeggggg,

where you been?? i figured you would find the post sooner or later. your reaction is just as i thought it would be. if it makes you feel any better i would be more than happy to be the round girl but me thinks the ring would be cluttered with debree.

about the challenge, i'm going to meet rich this weekend and eat some worms. i thought i was getting some formal training but i guess there's not much to do in the carolina's.

i understood from some other threads that tech's players are actually ga. state players, so how does tech get credit for having good players?? see you at the end of the season. woof, woof

by the way, you're right, i am a mama's boy.
:smile:

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-24 08:53 ]
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky,
Are you talking about the marching band at Georgia Tech? YES, I admit it outloud. My music degree is from Georgia State. HOWEVER...there are plenty of great players in the Tech band. Georgia Tech, offers no music degree, sooo.... they get by with a little help from their friends:) The dismal m/f ratio used to mean that cheerleaders came from Massey Business College! I don't think that's still the case. Funny, huh?

Now... as for the trumpet competition... I see a double header in Atlanta. I don't know the name of that in boxing... I just know the terminology for two baseball games at one price, and I'm surprised that I know that. (EGAD!!! I am a girl!) It was Mohan/Adams... We'll let them faceoff first...then it's Buzz/Spanky. Do I need to send you a couple of duets?

Meg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: