• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the REACTION to this whole affair between the SA and John Mohan has become.

Is it clear to everyone that the only difference between being a moderator and just a member, is that the moderator has his name on the marquee and can edit posts in the dedicated forum? That's it folks. JM's membership and posting privileges remain the same as any other member.

There is NO curtailing of the Mr. Mohan's posting privileges in the or out of the CG forum from his being removed as moderator. Another name goes up on the marquee. that's it. Unless I am mistaken, the only editing JM ever did in that forum anyway was to remove Bachboy2's vulgarity. He was basically letting the posters have their say, similarly, as I have done in the Caruso forum. This is not a new millenium! His name comes off the marquee. That's it!

But there are members berating this action of the SA as if there is some kind of pogrom underway. Free speech is being threatened! There is a conspiratorial menace from another trumpet method! Members are leaving in protest!

Come on. Really.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering if you would feel the same way if it was you, Charly.
Everhigher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mr. Raymond, for your perspective. I tried to say the same thing last night, apparently to little, or no, avail. Hope it "takes" this time.

Regards,
Al Pickard
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Charlie,

If I had been contacted by the adminstrator on Saturday with a message asking me to either step down as moderator or remove or apologise for my recent posts, I would have without hesitation chosen to step down, and I would have been fine with that.

I would have written a nice letter to one and all telling them of my decision, and there would have been no controversy or trouble at all.

But this is not what happened. I spent more than two hours (the time I normally do my warm-up/development routine) before work cleaning up the CG Forum of the "bachboy 2" stuff. For this I received a nice private message from the Administrator thanking me for my efforts and dedication to the Forum, which I was able to read just before leaving for the Theater.

But upon my arrival home that night, I discovered that the same Administrator without any consultation with me, had "removed" me as CG Moderator.

This is not the way things should have been done. I am hurt, I am angry and I feel totally backstabbed.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 20:59, bugleboy wrote:

Free speech is being threatened!

Well said!

Aside from being a very knowledgable and eloquent individual, John Mohan is one of the few people, in this day and age, to have an opinion and not be scared to tell people about it - this should be commended (not discouraged) because it makes life interesting!!!
I have always admired the work John has done, and I hope he continues to post despite recent events - we can all learn a lot from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PK: wondering if you would feel the same way if it was you, Charly.

CR: Give me something just a little more specific to respond to, PK.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 07:48, bugleboy wrote:

I think he was specific enough. I understood his meaning. I'm sure everybody (including you) did, too.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Concerned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here.

I agree.
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the confusion? I understood what he is getting at.

In peace,

trptmaster

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 10:55, John Mohan wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-09-20 07:48, bugleboy wrote:

I think he was specific enough. I understood his meaning. I'm sure everybody (including you) did, too.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM: I think he was specific enough.

CR: Pair of Kings is a she and, no, I would rather address specifics than generalities.

JM: I understood his meaning.

CR: I would rather that she, pair of kings, explain it.

JM: I'm sure everybody (including you) did, too.

CR: Nope. Gotta have it spelled out. That's where the misrepresentations and falsehoods will be: in the specifics.

CC: Here, here. I agree.

CR: Hear! Hear! I don't agree with this here.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-09-20 13:43 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 11:42, bugleboy wrote:

JM: I think he was specific enough.

CR: Pair of Kings is a she and, no, I would rather address specifics than generalities.

JM: I understood his meaning.

CR: I would rather that she, pair of kings, explain it.

JM: I'm sure everybody (including you) did, too.

CR: Nope. Gotta have it spelled out. That's where the misrepresentations and falsehoods will be: in the specifics.

CC: Here, here. I agree.

CR: Hear! Hear! I don't agree this here.

Um...I could be mistaken but I think that PC King is a she and Pair of Kings is a he although I might have that backwards. From what I can tell, they are a husband and wife team from York Pennsylvania that teach, play and have a music store.

By the way, I think that he was asking how you would feel if you got ousted from your position as a moderator with abolutely no word or warning, or even a chance to appologize or rectify the situation. Also, how would you feel to have the entire Superchops community nipping at your heels, flaming you at every given opportunity and twisting the things that you say to their ends. Is this spelling it out specifically enough for you?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG: I could be mistaken but I think that PC King is a she and Pair of Kings is a he

CR: We'll have to let one of them set the record straight.

PG: By the way, I think that he was asking .........

CR: OK, PG, you have decided to speak for PK.

PG: ............... how you would feel if you got ousted from your position as a moderator with abolutely no word or warning

CR: I would feel confused about it. Is that the case? That JM had " abolutely no word or warning" at any time from the SA in this regard?

PG: Also, how would you feel to have the entire Superchops community nipping at your heels, flaming you at every given opportunity and twisting the things that you say to their ends.

CR: I would feel confused about that, too, if I had never done anything to encourage or cause it to happen.

PG: Is this spelling it out specifically enough for you?

CR: It's a start.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-20 14:12, bugleboy wrote:
PG: By the way, I think that he was asking .........

CR: OK, PG, you have decided to speak for PK.

No, I was just giving my opinion of how I interpreted the question. Is that how it's going to be? Does everyone have to hyper analyze everything that they type in for fear of being misinterpreted? This is what was happening to John. He would post something and then it would be misconstued or taken out of context and used against him, which is just what you did to me by stating that I had decided to speak for PK, which most should be able to tell from my wording, was simply not the case.

Up till now, the Trumpet Herald forum was a place where trumpeters could go to exchange and share ideas about playing and offer their opinions AND critisms without fear of retaliation. Maybe it's time for me to go. After all, I'm only a hack of a trumpet player so there probably isn't much value to any of my posts anyway, especially when I have to watch like a hawk anything that I say for fear of getting flamed afterwards.

But I'll be watching.....
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -to clarify identity/gender, pair of kings refers to husband-wife, last name King. We are both trumpet players, though John has never posted. I am Priscilla C. King aka PC.

My question here was referring mostly to the topic title, mountain out of a mole hill. I understand your points, Charly. I just wondered if it was you who logged on one day to find your moderator status removed, whether it would be a mountain or a mole hill.
And maybe it isn't a fair question, maybe John had warning, I don't know.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG: Is that how it's going to be? Does everyone have to hyper analyze everything that they type in for fear of being misinterpreted?

CR: The written word can be edited very easily. I really try to say what I mean and expect others would try to do the same.

PG: which is just what you did to me by stating that I had decided to speak for PK, which most should be able to tell from my wording, was simply not the case.

CR: But you said, "By the way, I think that he was asking how ......"

To me that sounds like you are speaking for PK. You are voicing your opinion of what you thought PK meant. You are trying to represent to me, what, specifically, PK had in mind in her/his post. I would rather hear it from PK is all that I had in mind. No flames here that I can see.

PG: Up till now, the Trumpet Herald forum was a place where trumpeters could go to exchange and share ideas about playing and offer their opinions AND critisms without fear of retaliation.

CR: When things that I believe are in error or questionable are asserted in the public forums, I comment if the topic is of any interest to me. Is that how you define retaliation? Making a matter of fact comment on any given post. The dedicated forums are different. Even if I think there is a lot of voodoo being discussed there, the participants have the right to their privacy. You have never, not even once, seen me question the various philosophys within the dedicated forums. But if a subject is brought out and posed in a public forum, then that's different.

PG: especially when I have to watch like a hawk anything that I say for fear of getting flamed afterwards.

CR: I can't imagine why you have construed anything that I have said in the last few posts as a flame towards you.
On the other hand, you ended your first post with these words to me,

"Is this spelling it out specifically enough for you?"

Now some might say there is a little ring of hostility in those words. Those are the kind of words that usually get something going, but I don't think that is the case here.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

I feel badly about this too! We are at aloss. But...

1)You dont know how many times or not warnings may have been issued

2) Most recently, you gotta agree that the Pops statements could have been made in a much nicer way. That was nasty bashing man!

I can think of ten better ways to issue critisisms in a more politically correct way.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll concede that the tone of how things are worded can indeed get things stirred up. That isn't what I really intended, nor did I intend to speak out of turn for PK. I just want to post, have fun, learn and play my axe....badly.

I do think though that John got ramrodded just a bit though and that it wasn't entirely fair. You (Charley) are a moderator too so how would you feel if you got removed as a moderator for something that you said on a forum other than the Caruso forum, even supposing your tone raised a challenge to the posters of that forum?

Maybe I should go back and read in depth some of what supposedly caused all of the hoopla. But from where I am, I can't see that John was really out of line at all in his posts. I certainly have seen far worse and have myself been treated far worse by others.
- ACB Doubler

jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

Yeah, go re-read. Ive never read such political incorrectness in writings from any moderator. I think they all know better(from reading their posts)
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PK: Ok -to clarify identity/gender, pair of kings refers to husband-wife, last name King. We are both trumpet players, though John has never posted. I am Priscilla C. King aka PC.

CR: FWIW, there is a member using the screen name PC who is from Trondheim, Norway. But I thought I had remembered correctly that the person posting under the screen name "pair of kings" (clever name) was a lady.

PK: I just wondered if it was you who logged on one day to find your moderator status removed, whether it would be a mountain or a mole hill.

CR: As I mentioned to trickg, if it came right out of the blue, I would be confused. I personally think John was asking for censure by going into the SC forum and being argumentative in there. At the very least, being perceived as being argumentative by the members in that forum. This is one of the very reasons that the Debating Forum was created. So that two opposing members, whether they were moderators or not, could debate the pros and cons of their philosphies, without any bashing or unfounded statements allowed. This would be the reasonable format. But there have to be rules and some feel that that is inconvenient or intrusive.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2002-09-21 02:28, bugleboy wrote:
I personally think John was asking for censure by going into the SC forum and being argumentative in there. At the very least, being perceived as being argumentative by the members in that forum.

No argument here. it seemed overly aggressive to me and I am an 'outsider'.
your topic title just struck me as being a matter of perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: