• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Hummel Reply with quote

I am a senior in high school, and I mostly play jazz but I realize I need to play classical, too. I was wondering if the first movement of the Hummel would be a good choice for a contest solo? I looked over it and it doesn't seem to crazy except for a few parts, I know I will eventually get it if i work at it, I was wondering if it is a good for what I am looking for. I just looking for something challenging and something respectible. Thanks for any advise.

Ben
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an excellent selection for some. It isn't too technically demanding for many high school seniors, but you need to be able to play the last few lines cleanly. You can also do a lot with it musically. If you decide to perform this piece, be sure to listen to several recordings long before the contest, not everybody interprets it the same.
steeler247

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you playing it on a Bb trumpet?
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece can either be a real joy to listen to, or an absolute bore. If you're going to take this to a solo competition, make sure you have the conviction in your playing that will keep the judge enthralled throughout the whole piece. Personally, I really enjoyed playing it, and I would recommend that you do it on Bb. I think there's a wider variety of more appropriate tonal colors available on a Bb with a fairly big mouthpiece. Also, it sounds quite good on Flugel. Best of luck!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first movement is about 9 minutes long. How much time do they allow at contest?
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hummel is an excellent piece for solo contest, but it is long and has a pretty demanding piano part (transcription of the orchestra score in Eb). If you don't have a really good accompanist, there are other exciting, idiomatic pieces. Barat, Goyens, Ropartz, Balay, Clarke, and the Bernard Fitzgerald transcriptions of Handel and Vivaldi come to mind.
Peter Bond
reversedlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummel Reply with quote

ben_66_mario wrote:
I am a senior in high school, and I mostly play jazz but I realize I need to play classical, too. I was wondering if the first movement of the Hummel would be a good choice for a contest solo? I looked over it and it doesn't seem to crazy except for a few parts, I know I will eventually get it if i work at it, I was wondering if it is a good for what I am looking for. I just looking for something challenging and something respectible. Thanks for any advise.

Ben

DO NOT DO THIS SOLO FOR STATE SOLO...

I played it last year (senior this year) It is a very difficult piece endurance wise. Combine that with the PRESSURE of being at STATE?! Don't do it. Unless your endurance is phenomenal (like playing lead 2 hrs a night) DONT DO IT. If you play it on e-flat, it may be a little easier but not by much. Try the Haydn first. There are also some really good sonatas out there you might try.

Brandon

I BEG YOU... DO NOT PLAY THIS SOLO!
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this solo in highschool. There is an endurance issue, but it's not as demanding as other posters make it sound. It's certainly easier to get through than something like the Hindemith. If you feel confident in your ability to play it, and to convey some sort of musical conviction, take it to the contest. Just know that the judge will have a pretty solid idea of what they expect to hear.
brasszebra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I say do what you feel like doing. It's the only way your going to find out. If you crash and burn, then you know what your limits are. If you can do it, the you know what your capable of. A lot of people don't do things because they think they can't but in fact it is well in there reach. Only you know what you can do and what you like. If you like it and want to play it, go for it. As long as the syllabus for the contest says you can do that piece.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Hummel Concerto Reply with quote

The Hummel is an excellent work to showcase musicality and style. It is very lyrical and yet energetic at different times. I caution my high school students that they really need to emphasize the musical elements that are on a separate plane than just playing the notes correctly. Judges know this piece so well that one must grab their interest with excellent tone, style and musicality. If one just plays the notes, one is sunk.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: