• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cat Anderson Method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limits_unknown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this method measure up? I printed some stuff from Roddy's site. Anybody tried this? How did it turn out?

I'm needing some range stuff. I have the balanced emboucher book, but I dont have near enough time to bother w/ changing my emboucher.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question which crops up often about CAT'S METHOD is about the first study on page 4 [Study #1] being too difficult for people who don't have the range that is required [up to high C]. My answer to this would be to first of all try and go as far as you can with the exercises that Cat recommends and then stop. WARNING: the object of the game with the Cat Anderson book [as it should be with all chop books] is to play with clarity of tone only as far as you can WITHOUT STRAINING - STOP EARLY! - EASE OF OPERATION AT ALL TIMES.

And so, there is nothing to stop you using Cat's 20 minute G and then instead of playing page 4, invent your own transposed exercises from page 4 and eventually, through EASE OF OPERATION build up so that page 4 becomes simple. Then you are on the right track for working your way through the book, bearing in mind that you should not move off a chapter until you can play it -- EASILY!!!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
limits_unknown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Roddy, Thanks!

The good thing about the 20 minute thing is you can play 9 different notes, and still tell your buddy you practiced for 3 hours. hehe

[ This Message was edited by: limits_unknown on 2002-09-30 01:46 ]
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat Anddrson was once asked how it was that he so effortlessly plays in the upper register. He cited his lack of education - "Man, no one ever told me it was supposed to be hard!"
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really interested in developing a high register above all other aspects of playing, the book to get and use is:

"Double High C in 37 Weeks"

available at:

http://www.highnotestudios.com/

It'll work.

I prefer the more rounded (much more rounded) approach my teacher Claude Gordon advocated and taught, but if your main goal in life is to scream and play lead in a big band, get the above book.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It printed it too and it works for me. Before I have started the exercices my range ended at high C and now I can play high G's and if I have a good day I can even hit double C's.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the theory that the air helps you play higher and all that junk the book should work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the 20 minutes on a note thing. What's that all about? Do you just hold it as long as possible, fill up and go again, and again....etc?
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"According to the theory that the air helps you play higher and all that junk the book should work."

...but if your lips are not in the right place for YOUR physiology all the air on planet earth won't make a difference.

I don't get the 20 minutes on a note thing. What's that all about? Do you just hold it as long as possible, fill up and go again, and again....etc?

...yep! and play at ppp...if you find that hard to do think about why you can't!

MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20 minute note thing is intended to do two things:

1. Since it's played "soft as a whisper," it conditions your embochure to form a very small aperture, which is how loud high notes are played.

2. 20 minute long-tones strengthen the corners of the embochure, also neccessary for playing in the upper register. If you play them as a long-setting exercise and breathe through the nose (not taking the mouthpiece off your mouth when breathing), the effect is intensified.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....you are right on mr.mf fan!

Keith Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John on the "37 Weeks" book by Roger Spaulding. You may need to adjust the lessons to fit your own schedule, but his way of going UP to a given note, resting, then STARTING on that note to come back down is great for learning to PLAY up there, rather than just "hitting" the high notes. The funny thing for me was that my range improved greatly with the book and I've never gone past the first section (ACT I-up to High C).

A great series of 4 books is by Harold Mitchell (Hansen Publications). It is a very musical approach. Book 1 goes to A, book 2 to High C, book 3 to High Eb and book 4 to G above High C, in every setting you can imagine--tonguing, modes, scales intervals, arpeggios and MELODIES.

The thing you want to keep in mind is MUSIC. Transpose melodies up a half step at a time, maybe some standards--keeping the MUSIC in mind as you go upstairs. Visualize and think of how you want to sound, or maybe who you want to emulate. All the best,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: