• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FROM ERIC BOLVIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this is unrelated, I am on my third lesson in Caruso. I'm taking a little more time, which I think is OK. I like the exercises.
I'm sure Charley will read this, so I'm just gonna go on.
I play all day, every day. I'm now doing the 6 notes, seconds and thirds. Questions:
I find myself doing breath attacks on the seconds but it doesn't say to. I seem to just fall into this.
Same on thirds. On thirds it doesn't say go as high as you can so I stop on D-F-D-
These exercises at first made my chops tired, but now I feel like I've been playing all day which is different.
Improving on trumpet is a constant thing for me, so I will point out that I'm more comfortable with the horn on my face for a longer period since I've been practicing Caruso. This may or may not be result of practicing Caruso and I could really care less.
This is the attitude Charley taught me. Don't look for results. Just do the exercises and live on.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

I switched over to the CC forum to keep direct CC advice/comments under one roof, as much as possible

EB: I find myself doing breath attacks on the seconds but it doesn't say to.

CR: Carmine would often have a student use ONLY breath attacks, especially if he wasn't seeing the student regularly. Breath attacks have one less moving part for the embouchure to be concerned with while trying to find its balance. Breath attacks are the most fundamental and basic way that the calisthenics can be played. Only positive things will come from using breath attacks in practice (Read the opening paragraph on page 9).

EB: On thirds it doesn't say go as high as you can so I stop on D-F-D-

CR: Follow the same procedure as the seconds. On page 15, the text once again presribes going as high as possible with the initial setting, waiting 15 seconds and then proceeding with the second blow from where you left off. The procedure of employing a second blow should be used on all the interval studies: regular, SLS and LSL.

This is another example of a good edit for the second edition of MCFB (Not sure when that will be since it seems difficult to keep the first edition in print ).

EB: This is the attitude Charley taught me. Don't look for results. Just do the exercises and live on.

CR: For more on this principle with a very different scenario, read "Zen In The Art Of Archery."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: