• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Jake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 08:14, walter wrote:
Mr. Bentley- I think that you'd like to bait me into an argument, and I'll let my reputation for accuracy stand up against yours anytime. Besides being a waste of my time, I believe that much of the material that you're requesting lies buried in the locked vault of the SC sub-forum. Do your own research. Also, a search for "proof" might be akin to a search of Saddam Hussein's ever-changeable location of weapons.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. If the focus of your writings will consistently remain to challenge people's integrity instead of ideas, then I, for one, will simply ignore what you have to say.

Parts of this Forum are looking like Sherman's march through the South. Nobody wins that type of war.

walter

Walter wrote: 9/19/02 12:50 From Claude Gordon Thread
"I assume that much of the criticism of John has to do with stuff that he wrote in the SuperChops forum. I don't know most of what went on in there, since I gave up on trying to learn more about Jerome Callet's work from his adherents here at the TH. Now that the SC forum is closed, I have no way of determining if the criticisms of John are valid or simply the Big Lie, which if said often enough, becomes the accepted truth."

Right here Walter in his own words says that "I don't know most of what went on in there,"

I say that William Bentley is unraveling something that could be considered the Big Lie the same of which Walter wanted to propose and direct towards the SC folks over in his reply in the Claude Gordon thread.
William Bentley did not challenge Walters integrity he simply asked for information. I have to back WB. There are NO accusations about slander anywhere in the SC forum. An integrity issue could exist but certainly not from the question that WB presented to Walter.

In fact Walter is the one who pounced on WB and is questioning WB's integrity its right here for everyone to see!

Jake

[ This Message was edited by: Big Jake on 2002-09-25 22:01 ]
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mr. Bentley- I think that you'd like to bait me into an argument, and I'll let my reputation for accuracy stand up against yours anytime. Besides being a waste of my time, I believe that much of the material that you're requesting lies buried in the locked vault of the SC sub-forum. Do your own research. Also, a search for "proof" might be akin to a search of Saddam Hussein's ever-changeable location of weapons.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. If the focus of your writings will consistently remain to challenge people's integrity instead of ideas, then I, for one, will simply ignore what you have to say.

Parts of this Forum are looking like Sherman's march through the South. Nobody wins that type of war.

walter

Yes Jake, Walter states "I, for one, will simply ignore what you have to say." I hope this is not the course that Walter chooses to take. If he feels this strongly about the issues, he must bring everything out in the open. At this point I feel that William deserves a reply.
Big Jake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes histrumpet

Williams request seems very reasonable and Walters response was very harsh. After all Walter proclaimed that it was easy for him to recall the ground work and labels certain posters as detractors. So there should be NO difficulty in Walter providing a suitable answer to William and providing the info that WB requested.

Walter posted:
"As I read Tom's account of a slander lawsuit being behind John's dismissal, it was easy for me to recall that the groundwork for this action had been laid by many of John's detractors. "

Jake
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, slander is spoken, not printed so what we would be talking about here is libel, right? Am I wrong?

Sheesh, this is turning into such a silly, childish, he said/she said. It's boggling to me why we (myself included) have wasted so much time bickering with each other and playing word games.

All I know is that my perception (and perception is reality) is that John Mohan got kind of a raw deal and for what? Expressing his opinion? Challenging another method? Defending his positions? I've gone back through the Pops thread and I don't see anywhere that John badmouthed anybody or anything. He did state facts and give his opinions, but there is no crime in that. Maybe he was just a bit too blunt for some, but even still, that isn't a crime either.

I vote we get back to talking about trumpet and put this behind us. Anyone else?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
William Bentley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-25 23:23, trickg wrote:
First of all, slander is spoken, not printed so what we would be talking about here is libel, right? Am I wrong?

Sheesh, this is turning into such a silly, childish, he said/she said. It's boggling to me why we (myself included) have wasted so much time bickering with each other and playing word games.

All I know is that my perception (and perception is reality) is that John Mohan got kind of a raw deal and for what? Expressing his opinion? Challenging another method? Defending his positions? I've gone back through the Pops thread and I don't see anywhere that John badmouthed anybody or anything. He did state facts and give his opinions, but there is no crime in that. Maybe he was just a bit too blunt for some, but even still, that isn't a crime either.

I vote we get back to talking about trumpet and put this behind us. Anyone else?

trickg
Please don't try to sensor my rights please.
So why don't I have the right to question someone huh? Whats fair is fair. The stuff between Walter and I is between us. So let us progress please. Its not your concern.
If Walter had not posted a challengable post then I would not be here period.

BTW Mohans actions were deplorable where he attacked tptguy in the Fundamentals over the weekend. You seem to have over looked that thread it was up for a couple of weeks and even though Mohan had already taken pot shots at SC making misrepresentations he did not point them out in the Claude Gordon thread and only pointed out the ones so that he could put a little halo over his head once again. Then when the SC guys started pointing out the misrepresentations Mohan went bonkers. The SC guys got a raw deal in being able to defend against Mohans statements. Im as outraged as Tom Turner is because of this!
So trickg it was O.K for Mohan while still a moderator to go in the debate forum and make negative remarks about the SC folks calling them "characters" with his poorly backed statements. Go see it it's still there. Funny thing that The SC book describes tonguing through the teeth in a similar fashion as Caruso does in his book. Of course Mohan contended that NONE of the virtuosos past or present tongued this way or any of the professionals that he knows as a means to cast negativity towards SC. It's very odd that Jerome Callet and Caruso have many pro students in the ranks of the trumpet world who tongue this way. Not to mention that in the Jules Levy instruction book(See Levy's instruction book) he passes on what his teacher taught him about starting pitches which is the same as what Caruso and Callet teach. John Mohan made a blanket statement without doing proper research in his negativity capaign concerning SC. The entire scenario was not behavior befitting a moderator to speak negatively about another system. Especially when John stated that he did not have to back up anything that he says, and then he huffed out of the debating forum saying that he would not return! Some pro Callet students have been listed in some pretty long lists here in the forum all of which Mohan was very aware of.

Then he comes into the SC forum and after he displays a lack of sound reasoning in his statements the SC moderator kindly asks for the thread to stop. As that it had degerated from any educational significance and convert over to private emails. Of course Mohan refuses to follow the course that the moderator kindly asked him to observe.
Being that Mohan admited to having no desire to purchase the SC book then of course how would he know for sure if he knew exactly what SC was or not? Just reading some posts and looking at the playing tip on the Callet website and SHAZAAM just like he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! Suddenly he knows "exactly" what SC is. Even though he NEVER asked questions in the SC forum EVER until very recently.Particularly without seeing the diagrams and illustrations in the book. He just took a snip of info that he saw in a post where some of the progressive SC users were talking about tongue position and never bothered verifying his accuracy by asking questions in the SC forum because he had NEVER posted there until recently and when he did he claimed that he knew "exactly" what SC was. It was hilarious.
Further in the SC forum Mohan crosses the line once again and proclaims that a response from Kyle was "foolish" more than just once Mohan back peddled like usual when Kyle pointed out his misrepresentations.
This was not behavior suitable for a moderator either to go into a dedicated forum and use such aggresions especially when Mohan would not respect tptguy's replies enough to debate the issue in a civil manner he continued to blast that it was "foolishness" its all still in the SC forum to see.
Not to mention that the POPS thread was in poor taste for Mohan and many non SC people have testified to that one!
In the thread that Mohan started a few weeks ago inviting Tom Turner to debate him. Mohan admits that his intentions were to cause suspicion towards SC in the debating forum however Mohan continues his closed minded stance that he doesn't have to back up what he says. This is not the behavior of a moderator either.
Mohan got a raw deal? I seriously don't think so! Should not of been a surprise even to Mohan. Not when John used the forum in violent personal and professional attacks against bugleboy and other methods and posters including SC in 2001. Mohan by his own words admits that the SA told him to "tone it down" when he allowed him to become a moderator. Well there was a definate reason that he was told to tone it down thats for sure. If the SA will make the old forum viewable again by the means that he offered in the past then you will find that im right in what im saying here. Needless to say that if the old forum is made available then I will be revisiting Walter again with even more challenges concerning his statements about his relationships with the SC people.

Regards

WB

[ This Message was edited by: William Bentley on 2002-09-26 04:53 ]
Big Jake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-25 23:23, trickg wrote:

"He did state facts and give opinions, but there was no crime in that."

trickg
You state that (and perception is reality) ?
Perception is not reality if you are lacking any significant or pertinent details.
In the Pops thread bugleboy points out that there is a lack of sound reasoning in a number of John Mohans statements.
The reality is that a poster who makes statements lacking in sound reasoning is problematic for a peaceful forum enviroment and very unfair to those (such as Pops) who unfairly end up as the target.

Jake

[ This Message was edited by: Big Jake on 2002-09-26 04:43 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William,

The Caruso position on tongue is that the tongue will follow the mouthpiece. Carmine didn't specifically advocate tonguing between the teeth, nor did he advise against it. Generally, as far as I know, he didn't prescribe a particular "correct" position or modus operendi for the tongue. But he does suggest that a young student pretend he is spitting a hair off his lip to get the correct feel of the attack position. This advice, and variations of it seems to be used by many teaching methods. With the Caruso approach, this is designed more to bring the lips together to commence the note,as opposed to having them apart, since you can't spit with your mouth open. When I pretend to try to spit a hair off my lip, my tongue goes right between the teeth in order to accomplish this. Carmine would not have disapproved.

I have found in the past that from time to time, it is helpful for me to exaggerate tonguing between the teeth when I want to reestablish the feel for that attack position.

Regards,
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

walter

Just to clarify
Nothing has been changed, moved or deleted inside the SC Forum since the private format was activated. In fact all of the same threads are still open if anyone wants to continue in any of the past discussions.
Everyone who has requested access and provided an authentic email address, mailing address (P.O box is fine) for ocassional newsletters, full name, and phone number have been given access. Some login problems still exist on ocassion. Using IE as your browser has solved the problem for most people. No one has been turned down yet All personal info is kept confidential.
After tightening up the authentication process I have had zero attacks of obscenity, profanity or trolls. Which has afforded me more time to answer questions and help people. Civil questions and discusions are always welcomed just like before.

FWIW On Sunday I had compsed three seperate replies in answer to the misrepresentations concerning SC and the SC Forum which were in the "superchops thread" in the Fundamentals forum. The thread was deleted before I could post.
Like Tom Turner I am very disturbed that the thread was removed. A civil, factual and accurate defense was in the process regarding the misrepresentations. The decline of civility in the thread was not the fault of those who were presenting the defense.

As always AAtozhvac@cs.com 706-347-2429

Lee Adams

[ This Message was edited by: Lee Adams on 2002-09-26 10:10 ]
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG: First of all, slander is spoken, not printed so what we would be talking about here is libel, right? Am I wrong?

CR: Patrick, I think you're both right and wrong. Strictly speaking, as in a court of Law, I believe you are correct. As I understand it, slander and libel appear to be used in Law to differentiate between the spoken word and the written word. In everyday usage, it is just as correct to say that something is slanderous whether it is written or spoken. In discussions like this, everyday usage is the accepted format. This is the type of point that is argumentative in a discussion like this rather than one that truly contributes to a resolution and understanding of the issues being discussed. So why bring it up?

PG: It's boggling to me why we (myself included) have wasted so much time bickering with each other and playing word games.

CR: In light of your introduction of the legal definitions of slander and libel it seems to me that it is yourself whom you are accusing of playing word games. And if you feel that it is just a lot of bickering and a waste of time, why do you do it?

PG: ....... my perception (and perception is reality) is that John Mohan got kind of a raw deal .........

CR: It was perceved (and, as you say, perception is reality) by the SA that JM was no longer following the behavior guidelines expected of a moderator

PG: I've gone back through the Pops thread and I don't see anywhere that John badmouthed anybody or anything.

CR: I agree with you. So what's your point??
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR: Patrick, I think you're both right and wrong. Strictly speaking, as in a court of Law, I believe you are correct. As I understand it, slander and libel appear to be used in Law to differentiate between the spoken word and the written word. In everyday usage, it is just as correct to say that something is slanderous whether it is written or spoken. In discussions like this, everyday usage is the accepted format. This is the type of point that is argumentative in a discussion like this rather than one that truly contributes to a resolution and understanding of the issues being discussed. So why bring it up?

PG: I bring it up to clarify the legal definition and to my knowledge, there is still a difference in the every day usage between slander and libel. Unfortunately, most people really don't know the difference and I think that it is funny how someone would bring up the mention of a "slander" lawsuit when there really can be no such thing, at least not pertaining to this forum, since this is all printed and published. By the way, spoken or printed, as long as the person who issues the remark qualifies their statement as being their OPINION, it is neither. If you will go back and look at John's posts, you will see that whenever he comes down hard on anyone or anything, he pretty much always states that it is his opinion. I'm not playing word games, just making a clarification and as long as you say that it is an opinion, your butt is covered against both slander and libel. Of course, I'm not an attorney, but this has been my understanding from what I've studied. (At one point, a neighbor of mine was slandering me around the neighborhood and I enlisted the help of an attorney who is a HS frined of my wife's to quell their slanderous activities.) Oh, one more thing, it's only slander if it isn't true and can't be substantiated with fact.

CR: In light of your introduction of the legal definitions of slander and libel it seems to me that it is yourself whom you are accusing of playing word games. And if you feel that it is just a lot of bickering and a waste of time, why do you do it?

PG: There is a difference between playing word games in a he said/she said and making a clarification on a legal definition. I'm not taking words that someone has posted and worked them in a way as to use them against them. I just thought it would be helpful if there was a clarification made that libel is printed, slander is spoken. It's apples and oranges really.

CR: It was perceved (and, as you say, perception is reality) by the SA that JM was no longer following the behavior guidelines expected of a moderator

PG: Ok, point taken. However, you seem to be quite argumentative yourself sometimes, although your tone is somewhat lighter than is John's, yet you are still a moderator of a forum. Even still, in my opinion, that doesn't warrant your removal as a moderator, which I'm beginning to believe really isn't that big of a deal. By the way, I'm curious, is there a place on the Herald that displays the rules that a moderator must live and post by in order to remain a moderator? That would clarify a lot of things if there were actual rules pertaining to the issue and not some ambiguous, "Well, he wasn't acting like a moderator should." By who's definition or opinion? I understand that the Adminstrator pretty much has absolute power to govern the forums as they see fit, but I am curious to know just what was the straw that broke the camel's back.
---------
Quote:

PG: I've gone back through the Pops thread and I don't see anywhere that John badmouthed anybody or anything.

CR: I agree with you. So what's your point??

PG: My point is that John was really blasted for some of his comments on the Pops thread, most of which was not deserved in my humble opinion. He stated facts and gave his opinion and unfortunately some toes got stepped on. I'm just glad they weren't mine.

I think that if we all got together in one place, we would probably all get along quite well and would probably see eye to eye on more than we disagree, the bottom line of which is playing trumpet and making music.

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-09-26 10:57 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on what the meaning of the word "is", is.

didn't the SA say there was no legal action threatened, in any way??

you guys just like to debate. this has nothing to do with anything except who can win the next play on words. it makes me laugh though, keep it up.
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

walter

I keep coming back to this post where walter wrote "Then, I for one, will simply ignore what you have to say." It seems that this statement is on topic for this thread, The Mohan Standard. Without a doubt this is the Mohan standard, ignore what does not suit your agenda. On another subject, tounging between the teeth, I have read where H.L. Clarke, Claude Gordons teacher, was an advocate of this way of playing. I read this in an interview on Cozy Baker's website. I also uncovered some other facts about H.L. Clarke while reading an interview given by Frank Simon who played with Clarke in Sousa's band. The focus of the interview was on how Clarke helped Simon rebuild his embouchure.

I still feel that Walter should finish what he has started or conclude the discussion in a civil manner. Pat, this is something Walter is going to have to do on his own without you.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG: there is still a difference in the every day usage between slander and libel.

CR: I think that "slander" is probably being used in a more general sense in everyday usage, (to refer to both the written and the spoken word, the way WB was using it), and perhaps "libel" might find more common usage as a reference to something written. But even "libel" could refer to the spoken word in loose usage. Both terms refer to the same act, however, i.e. a defamation of character that is malicious and false. And my point was that you were playing a word game by suggesting that the legal distinction between the two terms be observed. The nature of the statements wouldn't change by interchanging the terms so why make an issue of it? If it was me with whom you were arguing, and you insisted on this distinction I probably wouldn't quibble about it and would comply. The net result being that a few extra posts would be involved to establish this distinction which, perhaps, could have just as easily been overlooked on your part. And then the discussion would move ahead without altering the positions of either side that had existed before the distinction was made between the two terms. ......... Whatever.

PG: It's apples and oranges really.

CR: Agreed.

PG: you seem to be quite argumentative yourself sometimes, although your tone is somewhat lighter than is John's,

CR: Argumentative?? Maybe in the eye of the beholder, which in this case might yield different perceptions of reality.

PG: yet you are still a moderator of a forum.

CR: There is nothing unprofessional about engaging in a debate or a discussion. The issue is WHERE and HOW.

PG: By the way, I'm curious, is there a place on the Herald that displays the rules that a moderator must live and post by in order to remain a moderator?

CR: Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on "usage agreement." In there you will find the rules that you agreed to when you joined the TH. I think the main difference between moderators and the general membership is that the moderators are expected to follow those rules.

PG: John was really blasted for some of his comments on the Pops thread,

CR: Blasted?? I think it was more a case of being called to account for irresponsble statements. My own response to JM was to point out how unsound his reasoning was. That is certainly not blasting someone, especially in the very polite and well mannered way in which I presented my argument.

PG: He stated facts and gave his opinion

CR: This was part of the issue, did he, in fact, state the facts?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 12:15, histrumpet wrote:
On another subject, tounging between the teeth, I have read where H.L. Clarke, Claude Gordons teacher, was an advocate of this way of playing. I read this in an interview on Cozy Baker's website. I also uncovered some other facts about H.L. Clarke while reading an interview given by Frank Simon who played with Clarke in Sousa's band. The focus of the interview was on how Clarke helped Simon rebuild his embouchure.

Hi there,

You are misinformed.

Herbert L. Clarke did not tongue "between the teeth". He rested the tip of his tongue lightly behind the top of his bottom teeth and tongued by releasing the air with the middle portion of his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

Here are his own words on this matter (quoted from page 3 of his book, “Characteristic Studies For The Cornet”):

“My tongue is never rigid when playing, and rests at the bottom of my mouth,
the end pressed slightly against the lower teeth. I then produce the staccato, by
the centre of the tongue striking against the roof of the mouth.”

This is the (very effective) method of tonguing he taught to Claude Gordon, and this is the (very effective) method of tonguing Claude Gordon taught to me.

Perhaps, you would do well in the future and provide more help to other players if you rely less on hearsay (actually “readwrite” in this case ) you’ve seen on websites and rely more on the actual words written by the great masters of the instrument in the books where they wrote those words. I’m curious - do you have the book “Characteristic Studies” by Herbert L. Clarke?

I don’t mean the above sentence in a “mean-spirited” sense - I just get SOOOOOOOO fed-up with people (accidentally) distorting things and creating and spreading misinformation about trumpet pedagogy and the development techniques of the masters.

But of course, to do even that (read the actual words of the Greats) is becoming more and more difficult. Many of the great methods are out-of-print and of the ones that are still in print, unbelievably but true, in many of the current editions of books (including Clarke’s “Technical Studies” book) revisers have actually CHANGED THE WORDS THAT THE AUTHORS ORIGINALLY WROTE, completely distorting and ruining what the Authors originally were trying to communicate.

St. Jacome wrote that one should play with the mouthpiece 2/3 on the upper lip and 1/3 on the lower. This is the way it appeared in the original version of his Method Book, until one day, a reviser changed this to the opposite (1/3 upper, 2/3 lower lip)! It is only in the latest edition of the St. Jacome book (just recently published by Carl Fischer) where this (and many other “reviser changes”) have been corrected back to what St. Jacome originally wrote. This work was done by my teacher (Claude Gordon). As the latest “reviser” of the book, Claude “derevised” it back to the original version based on the one he had from the time he was a youth (70 years ago).

Unfortunately, only the Arbans and the St. Jacome books have been restored to their original wording. Many others (including “Technical Studies”) have the wording and meaning changed in the text, without even a note admitting the text has been “revised” (ruined).
In “Technical Studies” the text for the Ninth Study should read:

"Each of the following chromatic scales advances one step higher and each one is to be played four or more times in one breath. No strain is necessary if played correctly."

Those are Clarke's original words, which appear in all the older editions of the book (but not the current edition). Now “his” words read:

"Each of the following exercises should be played four or more times in one breath. You will not need to strain on the high notes if you keep your lips flexible and avoid playing too loudly."

I can't begin to imagine what Clarke would do to the jerk that changed his own words, but I'm sure it would be quite violent and leave a rather unpleasent mess to be cleaned up.

And you all think I can get a bit mean!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: