• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herseth Recordings??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dracul
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Herseth Recordings?? Reply with quote

I have had the terrible misfortune of never hearing this master live and I wondered if anyone can suggest some good recordings of the CSO where Herseth might be featured. Thanks for your time....

Jon
bugleblast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, there is a great Mahler 2 recording i believe with Claudio Abbado, also there is a recording of Mahler 5 from the late 60s, the conductor is either Reiner or Solti. Pines of Rome with Reiner is quite good as well.
Enjoy
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song of the Nightingale with Reiner
La Mer with Reiner
Pictures with Giulini
Mahler 5 with Abbado
Mahler 1 with Tennstedt
Brandenburg 2 with Levine(?)
Petrushka with Giulini
Gabrieli Brass CD (Chicago, Philly, Cleveland)
Any Tchaik with Abbado
Asbury Brass Quintet CD (Boehme Sextet)
Fantasia 2000 CD

A good start...
cornetmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to Mahler 2 with Solti right now. It knocks me dead every time I hear it! Zarathustra and Ein Heldenleben with Reiner are my favorites as well.
waltband

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures -- both kubelik and reiner are interesting
scherezade - reiner
mahler 3, 5 Solti 7 has a few nice moments too
Ein Helden -- Reiner-- truly a great performance by the brass section - chicowizc does some of the other solo's parts
Till is also incredible
the trumpet ensemble recording with Plog is also great -- Contrasts?
Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra is pretty neat too
I always thought the Ravinia recording of Histoire was fun
the brass choir thing on columbia is still out there and not dated
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.atlantabrassalliance.com/listening.html
Great website, I believe it has a few Herseth clips.
AdrianTpt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures with Reiner
Mahler 5 with Solti
Bartok Concerto with Ozawa
Lt. Kije with Reiner
gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right of Spring with Ozawa
Mahler 7 with Solti
J.P.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is featured on every CSO recording with works that have trpt. parts.

He sounds the same yet not the same from one recording to another. He is a dynamic, as opposed to static, player. A well known quote from him: I don't want to be locked into one way of playing.

There are several works which were recorded a lot by CSO with different conductors. Pictures, Concerto for Orchestra, Mahler 1, Dvorak 9.

Despite his general disdain for conductors, he said it is really important to be able to give a conductor what he asks for. That was his job and he did it in exemplary fashion.

Being a devout follower myself, I have searched for and acquired as many CSO recordings as I can find and afford. I cannot begin to tell how much these recordings have helped and inspired me over the years. If it were necessary to sum up the overall impression Bud Herseth gives in one word, I would say: fearlessness. He just does what he does and those around him love him for it. A true leader.

It doesn't matter which recording you buy.

John
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great analysis of Bud's style, John! We can all learn something from every CSO CD.

Just to qualify: Bud is on all CSO recordings from 1948 until he retired a few years ago. There are a number of CSO recordings from before 1948, and a small handfull from after Bud stepped down, the most promonent being the Barenboim recording of the Furtwangler Symphony No. 2 which features Craig Morris, who sounds great!

Yesterday I was listening to the Giulini Brahms 4 from the EMI Giulini-CSO set. WOW! Such a beautiful recording filled with drama and emotion, with lush strings and in-tune winds. I much prefer this to the later Solti recording of the same piece.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZMBV0/sr=8-1/qid=1150890760/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5862347-1595007?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This set should be on every fan of the CSO's shelf - Brhams 4, Bruckner 9, Mahler 1, Beethoven 7, Petrouchka, and Firbired, in the CSO's heyday and with Giulini, one of the best. Plus it only costs $24 for 4 CDs!!

JU
bftrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:

Yesterday I was listening to the Giulini Brahms 4 from the EMI Giulini-CSO set. WOW! Such a beautiful recording filled with drama and emotion, with lush strings and in-tune winds. I much prefer this to the later Solti recording of the same piece.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001ZMBV0/sr=8-1/qid=1150890760/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5862347-1595007?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This set should be on every fan of the CSO's shelf - Brhams 4, Bruckner 9, Mahler 1, Beethoven 7, Petrouchka, and Firbired, in the CSO's heyday and with Giulini, one of the best. Plus it only costs $24 for 4 CDs!!

JU

I'll second that!! I just recently picked up this set (amazingly used at a shop in a mall here in Miami for only about $17!!!). Great literature and the orchestra sounds great!!

Ben Fairfield
J.P.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Giulini complilation you refer to. You're right. It is indispensible. Before it was available, I bought some of the LPs and burned CDs from them. Really good stuff.

You must also be aware of the Tribute to Boulez, CSO archives Vol. 19 (still available from the cso web site). There are lots of things of interest. Most remarkable to me is the Messiaen "L'ascension." It was recorded live in 1996 and words do not begin to describe it. Anyone who thinks Bud was not absolutely fantastic to the end should hear this recording.

There is also the "Glagolitic" Mass of Janacek, recorded in Nov. of 2000. Could this have been Craig Morris? Whoever it was, he was right on.

And yes, my sweeping statement that everything recorded by CSO was Herseth did need some qualification. William Scarlett plays first on the Antar Symphony of R. Korsakov. If you didn't know it was him, you would think it was Bud.

Thank God for the recordings.

John
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlett also played principal on the Solti recording of the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, which was packaged and released with the Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (I don't remember the specific year). I believe the story goes something like, the CSO took both the Bartok and Bruckner 7 on tour, so Scarlett played the Bartok and Bud played the Bruckner. When they got back to the states, they recorded the Bartok, with Scarlett playing principal on it.
johntpt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Chad. Someone had told me that story years ago.

I've always had my suspicions about 2 other CSO recordings. On the Abbado recording of the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, the cornet solo in the second movement, while played very nicely, to my ears doesn't quite sound like Bud. However, the other movements definitely sound like Bud. Also, the Boulez recording of the complete Firebird doesn't quite sound like Bud to my ears. Does anyone know about those sessions?

JU
J.P.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just listened to the Solti/Bartok Concerto for Orch. I never paid as much attention to this recording as I don't care for Solti's fast tempos. But sure enough, it does not sound like Herseth. It sounds great, but not like typical Herseth. The biggest give-away is the absence of vibrato and lack of emphasis on certain notes in the choral, Mvt. 2 and in Mvt. 3.

Next, I will listen to the Berlioz and the Firebird -- just out of curiosity. I have no inside info. whatsoever regarding who played what.

Nobody knows if it was Craig Morris on the Janacek?

John
johntpt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the Bartok today as well, and my thought was that, yes there are a few things that don't really sound like Bud - generally less aggresive, not as "soloistic" in certain spots like the 5th mvt high part - but that it's quite amazing how much he DOES sound like Bud. Very similar sound, articulation, and general style. It definitely sounds like Bud on the Dance Suite.

I asked Mr. Hagstrom once about the Janacek, and he couldn't remember who was playing principal. Whoever it is it sounds great! I love that piece. BTW there is a great DVD of the Czech Philharmonic playing the Mass and Taras Bulba.

Let us know what you think of the Berlioz and Stravinsky, John.

JU
tptmed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video of CSO, Bartok in Budapest, and if you look closely (the camera angle change happens real quick) Bud is playing picc on the nasty high lick.
johntpt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him do the same thing with Boulez conducting in 1993 or so.

That Solti video needs to be re-released on DVD!

JU
trumpetchad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a laserdisc of that video -- I believe Matt Comerford is playing 2nd on it (not certain though). I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer my CSO Laserdisc collection to DVD (and do it as inexpensively as possible). I also have the Tennstedt Mahler 1, Solti Bruckner 7 (AMAZING recording -- Phil Smith playing 2nd), Solti Wagner Overtures and Preludes and Berlioz Romeo and Juliet excerpts, and the Solti Mahler 5. I know there is a Zarathustra video out there, but I have yet to find it. It is so great to not only hear but watch Bud play.
tptmed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that don't know it, there are some videos/DVDs available through the CSO store and website of TV broadcasts from the late 50's early 60's. They are broken up by conductors, so there is a CSO/Hindemith DVD, a CSO Ormandy, etc. The CSO Hindemith is amazing- watch Bud sail through Music for Strings and Brass, as well as Bruckner 7-it doesn't get any better (unless you mind black and white video!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: