• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Standard of Conduct for Everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:11 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-22 19:10, Quadruple C wrote:
What I think would work best for everyone is to have general members held to the same code of conduct that the moderators are held to. This is only fair to everyone involved. The moderators must display tact, self control and respect towards others even when they do not agree with them, so it is only fair that the general members be held to the same code of conduct.

Fairness and equality, what a concept. hehehe David

I cannot agree with you more. I do not know what is so hard with the concept of treating your fellow man/woman with respect.

For something that appears so easy it sure turns out to be so difficult for some people.

Confused
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad did I just read some sad message about you leaving or was that my imagination?

In peace,

trptmaster

Quote:

What I think would work best for everyone is to have general members held to the same code of conduct that the moderators are held to. This is only fair to everyone involved. The moderators must display tact, self control and respect towards others even when they do not agree with them, so it is only fair that the general members be held to the same code of conduct.

Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:12 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think would work best for everyone is to have general members held to the same code of conduct that the moderators are held to. This is only fair to everyone involved.

The moderators must display tact, self control and respect towards others even when they do not agree with others, so it is only fair that the general members be held to the same code of conduct.

=============================

Darn good idea David!!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What I think would work best for everyone is to have general members held to the same code of conduct that the moderators are held to. This is only fair to everyone involved.

The moderators must display tact, self control and respect towards others even when they do not agree with others, so it is only fair that the general members be held to the same code of conduct.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2002-09-23 01:12 ]</font>

I'll vote for that as well; however, I don't remember seeing any General Members on this forum. I see New Members, Regular Members, Veteran Members and Heavyweight Members. By "Fairness and equality" are you suggesting that these types of divisions be abolished also?

Liad
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QC: The moderators must display tact, self control and respect towards others even when they do not agree with others.

CR: This is a misrepresentation of the code that the moderators are held to. Quad C, why are you pretending to know what the moderators code is, you aren't one yourself? So how are you able to be a spokesman for this code?

QC: What I think would work best for everyone is to have general members held to the same code of conduct that the moderators are held to. This is only fair to everyone involved.

CR: Why would it be only fair to everyone involved? I'm curious what the reasoning and logic is that prescribes that what is demanded of moderators, also be demanded of the general membership.

This would be a major change in the behavior all members. I got the drift from John Mohan's replies recently, that if he were to have been able to choose between being a moderator and curtailing his manner of posting, he would have voluntarily stepped down as a moderator so as not to feel constrained as a poster.

***** JM: If you (referring to the SA) had e-mailed me and asked me to either step down or recant what I have recently written, I would have willingly, gladly chosen to step down. *****

Rather than change his mode of posting, JM is saying that he would have stepped down as moderator of the CG forum, and presumably gone back to just being a regular member, and in so doing being able to post any way he chooses.

If, the general membership (as you would have it) were to now be required to follow the rules of a moderator in their posts, then John Mohan would be faced with the same constraints that, to this point, he has self admittedly been unwilling to follow. Would he now post as a general member with these constraints or would he just leave? Only JM can answer that. The logic would point in the direction of him just leaving. So, is that really what your agenda is here, quad, to make the forum uncomfortable for JM to post so that he will leave permanently? I'm not accusing you of that, just wondering, since it is very reasonable that this is where your suggestion would lead.

QC: I do not wish to leave, but I feel very strongly that if major changes are not made then I cannot stay and participate like everyone else.

CR: In another thread you say

QC: The only way that I will want to participate again is when everyone is on equal ground without bias. This means 1 set of rules for everyone including moderators and general members within 1 framework of rules.

CR: Since changing the posting policy of the general membership would certainly qualify as a "major change," this sounds like a very thinly veiled threat to the system administrator that if your suggestions aren't catered to, then you have strong feelings to,

1. leave,
2. stay, but participate differently than everyone else.

It is not crystal clear what #2 might entail. But in either case, it appears there is a strong chance that your traditional participation in the TH forum would be affected if the SA does not comply with your suggestion.

Actually, in view of your thread in the Fundamentals forum, it isn't clear what #1 might mean either.

Charles Raymond

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-09-23 13:02 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:13 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:14 ]
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, everyone who has ever registered for this board has agreed to the site Usage Agreement linked at the bottom of every page.

This includes:

Quote:

When using TrumpetHerald.com, do not post material that:

1. Contains vulgar, profane, abusive or hateful language, epithets or slurs, text or illustrations in poor taste, inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial or religious nature, or expressions of bigotry, racism, discrimination or hate.

2. Is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, deceptive, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community, contains any actionable statement, or tends to mislead or reflect unfairly on any other person, business or entity.

3. Violates any right of TrumpetHerald.com or any third party.

4. Discriminates on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability, or refers to such matters in any manner prohibited by law.

12. "Flames" any individual or entity (e.g., sends repeated messages related to another user and/or makes derogatory or offensive comments about another individual), or repeats prior posting of the same message under multiple threads or subjects.

In other words, behave professionally! Everyone has already agreed to do so! It's just that some of us take this agreement more to heart than others.

While admirable in intent, your concept of holding ordinary members and moderators to the same standard is untenable in practice. Hundreds of messages may go up on this board every day. "Professional" and "Respectful" and "In Good Taste" are highly subjective ideas. It is simply not possible for a small group of individuals to effectively screen such a large amount of information on a daily basis. Additionally, the amount of criticism frequently received any time a post is edited or removed makes it simply out of the question to do this with any regularity whatsoever.

Out of this quandary comes the member rating system, whereby members can rate each other and/or each other's posts. If you don't like what someone is saying or how they say it, you can give them a low rating, but only once. Alternatively or additionally, an individual post can be rated. Further, you will be able to block posts from a certain user or all users who have a certain overall ranking or worse. In this way, you can screen out posts from posters whose viewpoints or manner of expression you find repellant. It will simply be a democracy. But, free speech will be maintained! If you want to be respected and provide a positive influence to the board, you will have to watch your p & q's. Else, you'll simply be ignored, at least by those who have the strength of character and maturity to do so, or rebuffed in a tasteful manner.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 15:14 ]
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-23 12:10, bugleboy wrote:
CR: This is a misrepresentation of the code that the moderators are held to. Quad C, why are you pretending to know what the moderators code is, you aren't one yourself? So how are you able to be a spokesman for this code?
<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-09-23 13:02 ]</font>

Hi Charley
I know it's dangerous to answer for someone else but my take on this is - the code of conduct for the moderators is in the public domain is as you posted it in another thread round here a few days ago.
You posted:
"Is it clear to everyone that the only difference between being a moderator and just a member, is that the moderator has his name on the marquee and can edit posts in the dedicated forum? That's it folks. JM's membership and posting privileges remain the same as any other member."

Whether QuadC has misrepresented this code of conduct is for greater minds than mine to pick through the bones of - however I think you were very clear as to the moderators code of conduct and it is therefore in the public domain, even to non moderatorall the best.
Be
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
sorry about the end of that post. I am using a trackball plugged into my laptop and something went way weird. It shouldn't have been posted 'till I added a name, real one of course:-)
Brian Jones
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bj,

I can't tell if you are asking me something or anticipating a reply or clarification by me regarding your post.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 13:42, bugleboy wrote:
Bj,
I can't tell if you are asking me something or anticipating a reply or clarification by me regarding your post.

Hi bugleboy
I'm not looking for anything. You put it to Quad C that he didn't know the code of conduct for moderators as he wasn't one, in your post of the 23rd.
I know you like clarity in your posting and I just thought I could offer you an explaination as to how Quad C might think he knew what that code of conduct for moderators was - as you'd just told us all in your post just two days previously.
So no response is required. It was merely an explaination to you. I thought it might clear up a misunderstanding
yours
Brian Jones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: