• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The jaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I need some advice. Here's my problem:

When I play trumpet my jaw always tires out far before my lips do. After half an hour of playing I literally can't hold it "out there". Also when my jaw is tired I begin to drop it, a definite violation of Reinhardt's rules. As a type IV, I can't have this happening! As soon as my control point and anchor point switch I'm toast!

Yes, I know I should do jaw retention. Here's what bothers me though: In his book Doc states something to the effect of "some fine players have built up the endurance to do the drill for thirty seconds". So can I! I can do the jaw retention drill for almost a minute, and yet when I play I can't hold my jaw out there for any reasonable length of time.

It frustrates me because my dad always nags me to do the drill daily, telling me how effective it is, and yet I don't feel like I'm getting much of a workout from it. Maybe it's because I don't do it everyday!?!? Could I be doing it incorrectly?!?

I'd love to get some input on this matter.

Thanks.
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question for you is what does all of this sound like? When do you sound your best playing the trumpet?

In peace,

trptmaster

Quote:

On 2002-09-22 22:05, DSR wrote:
Hello everyone!

I need some advice. Here's my problem:

When I play trumpet my jaw always tires out far before my lips do. After half an hour of playing I literally can't hold it "out there". Also when my jaw is tired I begin to drop it, a definite violation of Reinhardt's rules. As a type IV, I can't have this happening! As soon as my control point and anchor point switch I'm toast!

Yes, I know I should do jaw retention. Here's what bothers me though: In his book Doc states something to the effect of "some fine players have built up the endurance to do the drill for thirty seconds". So can I! I can do the jaw retention drill for almost a minute, and yet when I play I can't hold my jaw out there for any reasonable length of time.

It frustrates me because my dad always nags me to do the drill daily, telling me how effective it is, and yet I don't feel like I'm getting much of a workout from it. Maybe it's because I don't do it everyday!?!? Could I be doing it incorrectly?!?

I'd love to get some input on this matter.

Thanks.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-22 22:05, DSR wrote:
Yes, I know I should do jaw retention. . . . I can do the jaw retention drill for almost a minute, and yet when I play I can't hold my jaw out there for any reasonable length of time.

Hey, Brendan!

I think I might be able to make one or two valid suggestions. I never looked at Doc's calisthenics (buzzing, pencil trick, jaw retention or mouthcorner drills) as once-per-day events. Quite the contrary. I probably overdid much of what he gave me to do without the horn. I spend quite a bit of time driving and that's where I do many calisthenics, many times daily. 30 seconds or one minute a day of jaw retention ain't gonna do much, in my opinion. But several repetitions throughout the day will. And (I know you're gonna want to hear this) every day, too!

Maybe you could do two things:
  • Do your jaw retention drill & pencil trick daily, and
  • Ask your dad to quit nagging you.

Let us know how you're coming along with this from time to time, alright?

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-23 00:18 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptmaster,

I sound fine (good tone) until my jaw collapses.

- Brendan
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton Rich!

I've already started doing the drill when walking from class to class around the university. I'm sure my jaw is weak because I don't perform the rentention enough. Don't worry, I make a point of not overdoing it.

For interest's sake, my father also does his calisthetics when he's driving...that is if he is preparing for some playing engagement.

Thanks again...time to hit the practice room.

-Brendan
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I went to the practice room again today. I concentrated very hard on the sensations of my embouchure when I was tiring out. What I have discovered is that my teeth drift apart after I have had the horn on my face for more that half a minute, hence destroying the upper register. If I focus on keeping my jaw in the same position vertically my teeth drift together, cutting off the sound. My inability to keep the space in between my teeth the same at all times is greatly hampering my endurance. My range is there. For a very short period of time I can play Es and Fs..sometimes Gs.
But then after that very short while my range is completely lost.

My question is what Reinhardt exercise(s) should I use to find the right degree of jaw openness and keep the gap that same amount throughout my playing/practice session.

I have started doing the jaw retention drill....a little bit more every day.

Thanks so much for your guys' assistance! Sometime I need to get lesson.

-Brendan
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-29 20:56, DSR wrote:
My question is what Reinhardt exercise(s) should I use to find the right degree of jaw openness and keep the gap that same amount throughout my playing/practice session.

Chris will hopefully address this query, but the one thing I can tell you is that Doc always said to "keep the teeth as close together as a good sound will permit."

He didn't say "keep them as far apart . . ." so I'm thinking that he was encouraging us to find the place where the teeth were very close together that worked best for each individual.

This next thing I'm going to say caused some controversy on the TPIN list, but at some point in his playing career, Cat Anderson played with clenched teeth. We all have different physical attributes, and I, for one, cannot play with my teeth clenched (and I've tried it many, many times). I also cannot play with my teeth spread apart too far (anymore) . . . getting rid of the old "dropping the jaw for the lower register" has put an end to that.

When we abide by the teaching of Doc Reinhardt, our jaw no longer goes up and down but in and out. And we need to find the closest spacing of our teeth that will still permit a good sound.

Hope that helps a little. Next?
hairy james

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beandan, The answer that Rich gave you is basically correct. Doc would always say " The teeth should be set just as close as a good sound will permit." This is just something your going to have to watch, thats all there is too it. Many times I asked Doc how to break this bad habit or that bad habit and he would usually say "Just don't do it thats all." Are you sure you are a type IV, I mean any type can have any problem but the teeth opening is usually a downstream problem. I suggest you go to Paul Garret's Reinhardt web site and read Dave Sheetz's article called "Quirks of the types." As I told you before you can always e-mail me off the list and I'd be glad to help you anyway I can. You strike me as a real champion of Doc and I'm always glad to help people that are interested in finding out about the Pivot System. Anyway, got to go, I'm sitting here breaking a 102.5 fever and I'm sweating all over the key board. Good luck, Chris
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain a bit better some of the sensations you were getting with your embouchure. I might have some suggestions for you. Yes we all know that the teeth drifting apart kills the upper register but I have some really small changes in my bag of tricks that you can experiment with "behind the scenes" that might prove to be beneficial for your overall jaw and embouchure position and we might just get that drifting teeth situation straightened out at the same time! (no pun intended ) This all depends on the sensations of your chops and set up. Please give us a little more info!

In Peace,

trptmaster

Quote:

On 2002-09-29 20:56, DSR wrote:
Hello again,

I went to the practice room again today. I concentrated very hard on the sensations of my embouchure when I was tiring out. What I have discovered is that my teeth drift apart after I have had the horn on my face for more that half a minute, hence destroying the upper register. If I focus on keeping my jaw in the same position vertically my teeth drift together, cutting off the sound. My inability to keep the space in between my teeth the same at all times is greatly hampering my endurance. My range is there. For a very short period of time I can play Es and Fs..sometimes Gs.
But then after that very short while my range is completely lost.

I have started doing the jaw retention drill....a little bit more every day.

Thanks so much for your guys' assistance! Sometime I need to get lesson.

-Brendan

DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: "Can you explain a bit better some of the sensations you were getting with your embouchure. I might have some suggestions for you. Yes we all know that the teeth drifting apart kills the upper register but I have some really small changes in my bag of tricks that you can experiment with "behind the scenes" that might prove to be beneficial for your overall jaw and embouchure position and we might just get that drifting teeth situation straightened out at the same time! (no pun intended ) This all depends on the sensations of your chops and set up. Please give us a little more info! "

Trptmaster,

When I am really starting to get tired and my teeth drift apart (or so it feels like) the entire red membrane of my lower lip begins to roll in more and more over the lower teeth, even in the low and middle registers. It feels as if I am losing embouchure buzzing firmness and my lips are swelling into the cup of the mouthpiece. If feel like a have to lip pucker (Reinhardt's definition...not the common idea of a pucker) harder and harder in order to get any notes to come out.

I should add that at any time during my progression of playing fatigue I find the low register very difficult to produce without the dropping the jaw. Would this be because I play significantly off to one side?

Thanks again,

Brendan
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone DSR! Are you sure you are a true type IV? Who diagnosed this type for you if you don't mind me asking. It sounds like we could be dealing with an undercover IIIb here.

In Peace,

trptmaster

Quote:

On 2002-09-30 17:48, DSR wrote:
Quote: "Can you explain a bit better some of the sensations you were getting with your embouchure. I might have some suggestions for you. Yes we all know that the teeth drifting apart kills the upper register but I have some really small changes in my bag of tricks that you can experiment with "behind the scenes" that might prove to be beneficial for your overall jaw and embouchure position and we might just get that drifting teeth situation straightened out at the same time! (no pun intended ) This all depends on the sensations of your chops and set up. Please give us a little more info! "

Trptmaster,

When I am really starting to get tired and my teeth drift apart (or so it feels like) the entire red membrane of my lower lip begins to roll in more and more over the lower teeth, even in the low and middle registers. It feels as if I am losing embouchure buzzing firmness and my lips are swelling into the cup of the mouthpiece. If feel like a have to lip pucker (Reinhardt's definition...not the common idea of a pucker) harder and harder in order to get any notes to come out.

I should add that at any time during my progression of playing fatigue I find the low register very difficult to produce without the dropping the jaw. Would this be because I play significantly off to one side?

Thanks again,

Brendan

DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I diagnosed myself. I am pretty sure that I am a type IV. When I play by bottom lip slightly overlaps the top. I have a horn angle that is perfectly horizontal and when I pivot the angle up (pull the mouthpiece and lips as one unit in a downward direction - Pivot Class. II) higher notes pop out of the horn.

I discovered something yesterday though. I decided to do some free buzzing while walking across campus. As I was holding this one pitch I discovered that I could only hold it for a certain amount of time before my lips were incapable of sustaining. I smell a really flabby lower lip! I also realized yesterday that when I play the range of motion of my lower lip is extremely limited. This could account for the flabiness. Free buzzing and the other calisthenics may be the key!

These are just some more of my thoughts.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I discovered something yesterday though. I decided to do some free buzzing while walking across campus. As I was holding this one pitch I discovered that I could only hold it for a certain amount of time before my lips were incapable of sustaining. I smell a really flabby lower lip! I also realized yesterday that when I play the range of motion of my lower lip is extremely limited. This could account for the flabiness. Free buzzing and the other calisthenics may be the key!

I believe Reinhardt always advocated that even upstream performers free buzz in a downstream manner.

Quote:
The membrane (red) of the lower lip must be rolled in (not curled in) and slightly over the lower teeth, while the tip of the overlapping upper lip is simultaneously reaching down to make its light contact (just touching) with the lower lip at the vibrating points. In the PIVOT SYSTEM [sic], this particular embouchure formation is often referred to as a "buzzing embouchure," or an embouchure which has been formed with "buzzing firmness."

Always practice buzzing with the air stream travelling in a downward direction, regardless of your particular physical playing type.

-Donald Reinhardt, The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, page 39-40.

Good luck!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: