• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holiday Traditions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuietLoud
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Holiday Traditions Reply with quote

I will be leaving for a quick trip to my brother's house for New Year's Eve, which is not really a tradition for me. However, later tonight I have decided to revive an old New Year's tradition. I intend to come home, and after midnight, watch "Blade Runner". Many years ago CITY-TV in Toronto used to show it at 12:05 on New Year's day. I watched it a couple of times. I do not know how long they did this. I always thought it was an odd choice. It is a very depressing view of the future. So now, I am continuing the tradition? Maybe I should watch "The Sound of Music"?
:-)

Maybe I will check back later tonight. . . .

If not, have a happy!

MySpace: Search for "Mobile Writer"

Entertainment: Iron Chef America, BBC Radio 2: Listen To The Band. Making strange noises on brass instruments. Other stuff.
floridantrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for traditions! Have fun at your brother's house and have a happy 2006!

I myself have never seen Blade Runner, (I know who's the star in it but I can't recall the name), if I did see it before, I probablly wouldn't remember it.

I don't recall having any specific traditions for new year, except maybe watching dick clark's ball drop (pun intended) and shooting off some poppers.

Have a happy new year!
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some traditions...we all stay up late, cursing the satellite company because it won't let us tune into regular tv, and eat ole bola (pardon the spelling, even if it's Dutch) which is Dutch for "oil balls"...they're made out of a yeasty dough, with apples, raisins, and golden raisins, and then deep fried in canola oil until golden brown, and then topped off with massive amounts of powdered sugar. The grownups drink champagne, the kids get sparkeling cider (which is called "sparkling spiders" in our house) and the older kids (i.e. ME) either half a glass or a glass of champagne.

We then proceed to watch the Conan O'Brian show, since he actually does something for our timezone. lol.

Though, started last year after Chris (Blasticore) suggested it, I have started the tradition of going outside on the front porch and playing "Auld Lang Syne" and yelling Happy New Year as obnoxiously as possible. lol. The things us crazy trumpeteers think up....

Have a good and SAFE one everybody! Don't drink and drive, and don't leave parties with strangers...especially if you've had a few. (Drinks, not strangers. )

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight (New Year's Eve) I played with our brass band at the big Civic Theater downtown. I was done at 11:30 then zipped home by 11:58, just in time to give my lovely wife (28 years she's tolerated me!) and, of course, my adorable little 15-year-old puppy dog a New Year's kiss and watch the ball drop at Times Square (where I used to work.) Right now I'm enjoying a little JD while checking the TH.

Tradition: Tomorrow I will cook up a big pot of black eyed peas and cornbread (a Georgia tradition I learned from my grandparents years ago.) Mmmmm good and it's supposed to bring you good luck!

Best wishes to all for a healthy and happy 2006.

Bill
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...we're having Ham, Sweet Potatoes, Black Eyed Peas, Cornbread, some other assorted tasty yum yums, and then Almond cake and Pecan Pie.

Mmm mmm good.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am currently enjoying the New Year Concert from the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - best reason for having a New Year
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just lingered at my girlfriends house.
QuietLoud
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the TV listings. Hey did any of you guys ever play in the Rose Bowl Parade?

Entertainment: Iron Chef America, BBC Radio 2: Listen To The Band. Making strange noises on brass instruments. Other stuff.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friends have played. I got a buncha marchign band phreak friends from california.

we never really have had any new years traditions. just watch tv and have martinellis sparking cider.

but other fun traditions. thanksgiving is pie breakfast. um, thats about it.
QuietLoud
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floridantrumpeter wrote:

. . .

I myself have never seen Blade Runner, (I know who's the star in it but I can't recall the name), if I did see it before, I probablly wouldn't remember it.

. . .

Harrison Ford was the star. You really should see Blade Runner. Just do not see it after a bad exam, or other depressing event, and not when you are so tired you might fall asleep. At least, not if you are seeing the "Director's Cut."

I could say a lot more. Sometimes I really do like the film. But I wish I had bought the theatre cut.

Oh, one other thing. Sometimes my trumpet playing sounds sort of like the theme music. (Remember I said that later and you will get it. :-)

QuietLoud
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:

. . .

Though, started last year after Chris (Blasticore) suggested it, I have started the tradition of going outside on the front porch and playing "Auld Lang Syne" and yelling Happy New Year as obnoxiously as possible. lol. The things us crazy trumpeteers think up....

. . .

It must be fun living across from you guys!

Well, maybe next door to that.

Well, maybe on the next block.

:-)

trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuietLoud wrote:
Harrison Ford was the star. You really should see Blade Runner. Just do not see it after a bad exam, or other depressing event, and not when you are so tired you might fall asleep. At least, not if you are seeing the "Director's Cut."

Once you have seen the film - read the book upon which it was (loosely) based - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick - it certainly made me rethink how I saw the film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: