• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Terrance Blanchard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those out there who do NOT have any recordings by Terrance - let me STRONGLY suggest "Wandering Moon" and "The Malcolm X Jazz Suite". They are both amazing albums. The compositions on "Wandering Moon" are fresh and original. If you remember any of the music from Spike Lee's "Malcolm X" movie - you will simply LOVE Blanchard's compositions in jazz format. If you didn't see the movie, you will enjoy the music just as much.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right on...Terence does it all...
he composes...
he arranges....
He backs singers...speaking of backing singers...THIS IS WHERE HE EXCELS!
Check out his "GET LOST"where he teams up with wonderful female singers...(LUCKY DARNED DOG!!) Diana Krall-Jane Monheit-Dianne Reeves and Cassandra Wison.
He is backed by Ed Simon on piano...Derek Nievergelt..bass
Eric Harland on drums...but wow@ Brice Winston on Tenor Sax.
Even if many of you BACH-A-HOLICS don't care for Terence...TRY AND BUY...this CD alone for this above MORTIALLLSOAP MIX of wonderful musicians and singers.
http://www.terenceblanchard.com

Also check out a VERY RARE AND BEAUTIFUL COMBINED GOSPEL EFFORT that Terrence and JUBILANT SYKES...recorded a few years ago...under the same name...

http://www.sonyclassical.com/artists/sykes/bio.html

This CD featured the amazing bari-bass GOSPEL and classical vocal singer....with a talent sooo huge.
Terence's father was a preacha' man...and Terences love for GospelSoul is soooooooooooo beautifully created in this ABOVE THE EARTH RECORDING...that I can promise will life your spirits high as heaven..Songs like "I GOT A TICKET, CAN I RIDE!" "HOWDIDAH' CROSS OVER!~"as well as more well known heart-felt traditional pieces...and his "MARY, DIDJA'KNOW!" IS PURE MANNA-MAN!!! AND BALM..FOR THE SIC-SIC SOUL! YOU WILL BE UP-LIFTED, MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS...AMEN.

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-09-25 15:41 ]
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a winner to me bad boy! I have been in love with gopsel/jazz every since I heard Donald Byrd's "A New Perspective". Cristo Rendentor??? Amazing stuff... Byrd's souring horn over the choir... someone pass the plate! I got a $20!

Another one to check out is Wycliffe Gordon's "The Gospel Truth". Marcus Printup on trumpet... awesome. Don't forget "In This House, This Morning"... Another gem.

I will definitely check out Blanchard's vocal albums. For Cassandra Wilson ALONE! I LOVE HER!!!

..AND ALL THAT JAZZ.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info bout' Senica and Wycliff..
about that "House in the Morn. ( I taped a few cuts off that CD!) It was pretty intense for me...

Speaking of intense: I listened to an old old old old...Donald Harrison (sax) and Terence Blanchard CD that I picked up about 5 years ago in a use record store..for $1.00

On the cover...Terence looks about 15year old..and it appears that he is playing an old BACH...(for you BACH-A-HOLICS) but again..it looks kinda like a Yamaha to me...) but in the credit it just says..BACH!
The CD title is CRYSAL STAIR....
GADS...THIS JUST DOESNT SOUND ANYTHING LIKE THE TERENCE we know today but this could be the kinetic energy from the piano and Harrisons wild antics....
This was recorded waaay back in 1987 by CBS and produced by Delfeayo Marsalis...and Mike Wells...(DO THEY KNOW TALENT OR WHAT?)
This CD gives some really historic looks at a young man going through changes..LOOKING FOR HIS OWN VOICE.
3. GOD BLESS THE CHILD IS VERY NICE...
6.GRACE OF GOD!! We recognize the lyrical side as well as those characteristic hoots, glides and half valve work. Wonderful trumpet voice.
sadly for my taste...
Donald Harrrison...sounds like he is trying to duplicate Coltrane's noodlin'or goosehonking days..and to aid fuel to the fire...

The piano player (CYRUS CHESTNUT)is really zippped and is all over the keyboard...and the remainer of theCD makes me wanna take a valium...or a nice stiff shot of HENESSEY ON THE ROCKS!!!
For those who love to ride fast, hard and bopadooo your fanny's off, this Cd is a keeper..
Hey, for a buck....I GOT A GREAT VALUE?

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-09-25 17:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-09-25 17:50 ]
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don! Nail on the head with the "Let's Get Lost" recording man! His solo pick-up line on the title track is just SOOOOOOOO TASTY!!! I also like the "Romantic Defiance" recording. The tune "Betrayal of My Soul" is killer!!!
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i saw terrance live, ma nhes amazing, i got to meet him to. hes pretty cool. Ha i asked him about his monette raja, he was like yea ya know, its aright, its different. Ha. So yea hes a great player, i really like what he did with duck back in the day, good recordings.

DRES
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:56 ]
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Terrence Is a great player, if you haven't already I seriously recommend checking out Jazz In Film, it has a lot of film scores that he's played, it's got "China Town", "The Pawnbroker", "A Streetcar Named Desire", and a lot of others. He plays really well on that album. Not to mention it features the last recorded playing of the late Kenny Kirkland.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-02 08:22, AccentOnTrumpet wrote:
Yeah, Terrence Is a great player, if you haven't already I seriously recommend checking out Jazz In Film, it has a lot of film scores that he's played, it's got "China Town", "The Pawnbroker", "A Streetcar Named Desire", and a lot of others. He plays really well on that album. Not to mention it features the last recorded playing of the late Kenny Kirkland.

Funny you should mention that...How timely!!!
While hanging from my ladder....hanging my Christmas balls...and outside Christmas lights, I had my head sets on and played that CD over and over again...and yes...Long live Kenny, and yes, Mr. T chooses so many fine colleagues to make beautiful music...together.

Go to the lounge: I have a confession to make???
Under THE HANGING OF BADBOY HEADING!!!
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first exposure to Terence Blanchard is happening right now Feb. 2

"Let's Get Lost".... worth every cent and then some... only on the 3rd tune but I expect it is all great.

the local record store here doesn't have much for jazz... so I was lucky to find this CD.

rich redshoes@cccusa.net
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrence Blanchard is the man. I think he is far more expressive on his horn than Wynton could ever dream of being. You're right he does it all, play, write arrange, backs up other's efforts. Crystal Stair. Harrison/Blanchard, Dr, Jekyle (H/B with Art Blakey) all speaks to a young man finding his voice on the instrument. I have been in to Terrence since he was with Blakey in the mid 80's and I think he has yet to hit his full stride. Listen to Detour Ahead from his self titled CD then listen to him playing on 'Billie Holiday Songbook' with Jeanie (Dizzy's daughter) Bryson. It is powerful stuff. By the way, he is another Bill Fielder student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: