• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback Day 17 -- Sudden trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Comeback Day 17 -- Sudden trouble Reply with quote

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this (I will also be posting something more detailed in the BE forum in the next day or two).

I played for 20 years, and was powerful with usable range to A over high C using Callet's older methods (closest was TS or Yoga). I started my comeback 17 days ago using BE and major scales.

I had my E over high C back by day 6, and my G by day 10. I have been practicing for 10 to 20 minutes twice per day for the first 17 days (I did miss day 9).

Today I suddenly had trouble with any range. My tone and power seem okay, as does my flexibility. I cannot, however, go over high C (or even up to it at times) without my top lip trying to slide up and out of the mouthpiece. I was coming back on my custom mpc (very small) but decided that wasn't a good idea; I've done most sessions since on either my Bach 1C, or in the past 2 days on my 7C (I didn't even own one, so I had to go buy one!).

Has anyone else as a comeback player had similar issues?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I don't know if I'd worry a lot about this. You've been at this for less than three weeks, so it doesn't seem to me that a setback is necessarily a big deal unless you obsess about it. You might want to take it easy for a day or two, or alternate heavy and light playing days until you've get everything back into full working order. If you're taking lessons (I'm a big advocate of lessons!), this is something to discuss with your teacher, who can hear and see what's going on. If the problem persists, a personal consultation with a teacher might be needed.

You might also just stay on one mouthpiece until you have everything back into shape. When I came back, I was using my trusty Bach 1.5C, but I ended up switching to my now even more trusty Bach 5C.

Caveats:
1) All I know about BE is how to spell it and who the author is -- I don't know what to expect when following that method.
2) In your prime you had way more usable range that I have ever had in my life, and your current "bad day" range is not much different from my current usable range -- I'm in no position to give advice on range.

Good luck -- hope this helps!
somedaylikechet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thing happening, when I started my comeback about 15 months ago. Before my 15 year break my range went up to B above the staff. That's it. I had never ever hit a high C. After a few weeks into my comeback my range went to D above the staff! But a few weeks later high C seemed to be the top note for me. It has been that way for almost a year now. I also started with BE and think that it's a good method. It has not increased my playing range yet, but I feeld that it makes the range that I have more secure. About the "loss" of my D above the staff: I don't worry about it. It will come back some day.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
...In your prime you had way more usable range that I have ever had in my life, and your current "bad day" range is not much different from my current usable range -- I'm in no position to give advice on range...
^What he said! Seriously. barring physical trauma to the tissues in your emboucher, all will be well. Same old stuff--practice, rest, repeat... Even with BE, I assume.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about that impatient to have everything back, too, but when you
consider how many years it took to get to where we all were when we quit,
it's very unrealistic to think we can go to the drive through window and order
up an embouchure with a side order of technique. It sounds to me like you
are doing amazingly well for such a short time! My comeback has taken much
longer with lots of setbacks mixed in - mainly because I was very impatient.
From where you're at, I wouldn't start worrying about stuff for at least 6
months, then let us know how you are doing!
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a day off from real exercises, and instead I played children's melodies (Twinke Twinkle Little Star, Mary Had a Little Lamb) to my kids while they were in the tub last night (they loved it). I stayed below A on the staff, focused on the sound, and we all had a great time.

For some reason I'm not nearly as frustrated in my comeback today.
SD-Vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am on a "comeback". Almost 3 weeks now. I had a very similar situation last week. Although I didn't want to, I laid off for two days and came back stronger. I'm pretty consitent now with hitting double A's, and the G's are just plain FAT and loud again. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but try laying off for a few days and see what happens. BTW, good luck on your comeback practicing. I'm having the best time again. I've been off almost 15 years, and at age 40 my approach is so much better than when I was younger. I've been practicing so much that my 1 and a half year old daughter has started imitating me buzzing her lips like Daddy! Yikes..., I hope I don't corrupt my daughter and turn her into a Trumpet Player (HA!).
david80J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a come back player for 4 years now but I quit for 35. At the beginning, I hadn't developed my lip; it seemed like it took months before everything was real solid. During that time, I would pick my trumpet up some days and it would be like I had never played it before; I was in shock but the next day it would be fine. I found that if I wanted to be at my best, I would lay off for 1 day and play whatever I was going to play in the 2nd day. Playing with sound trax and writing the music for some karaoke sound trax has kept me interested and practicing.

David Clark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: