• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First time trumpet choice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcovento

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: First time trumpet choice Reply with quote

I previously played Euphonium (25 years ago) but have always wanted to play trumpet. I am now looking to buy a student model trumpet to start playing. The most popular model available in Australia seems to be the Yamaha YTR1335 but I have also seen a Jupiter brand advertised which get good reviews from the shops selling them. Does anyone have an opinion of the best way to go??
cornetmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the Jupiter!

The Yamaha student horns are excellent beginner horns in my opinion.

Yamaha YTR-2335

Several of my younger students have this model, and it is a fine beginner horn.
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monette.
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha is better IMO. Here is a good link.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Student%20trumpets.html

ps, I am sure you know that yvonne was joking.

Bob
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these 2 are your choices, I have had neither. But on these boards, I have heard the Yamaha student line praised, but not the Jupiter line.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other alternatives worth considering, if you're willing to pick up a used trumpet, are the Olds Ambassador and the Kanstul 610.
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 'superhorns' only super players

I have been playing for almost 20 years and know that the MOST important thing a cat can have is the right mpc. I know that horns are nice but are secondary.

I was recently playing a student horn and was told I sounded great So I know that horns are over rated. But if I had to choose my 'ideal' horn it would be one of the new Martin Committees...they play beautifully and slot great!

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm ... the original poster was looking for a decent student horn, not a superhorn. The basic idea (as I understood it) was to get enough horn that it won't hold him back when he's first learning, and can then move up to something better when he's ready.
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a monette,
David_N

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U should try out the yamaha YTR-01MQ. Its made in there new plant in china i think. But for AUD$600 u get a sweet horn. Its got a gold brass reverse leadpipe , yellow brass bell and nickel plated pistons. I played one a couple weeks ago it was reeeli good. Plus i know a few places in australia have it. And yeh Jupiters aren't that great
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_N wrote:
U should try out the yamaha YTR-01MQ. Its made in there new plant in china i think. But for AUD$600 u get a sweet horn. Its got a gold brass reverse leadpipe , yellow brass bell and nickel plated pistons. I played one a couple weeks ago it was reeeli good. Plus i know a few places in australia have it. And yeh Jupiters aren't that great

I second that vote. I haven't played the YTR-01MQ, but played on older model Yamaha student horns. They appear to have good workmanship and are very consistent. I have played several Jupiters as well, and even owned one briefly. The Jupiter stuff doesn't have the workmanship and can have inconsistencies from horn to horn.

Go with the Yamaha.
SD-Vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: First time trumpet choice Reply with quote

The student lines of Yamaha or Kanstul IMHO are great choices. I've recently tried many trumpets (being a comeback player for 3 weeks now) and was curious about the sound of student horns. I really enjoyed the full sound I got from Yamaha and Kanstul entry level horns. Either way..., you can't go wrong. But if I had to pick? Kanstul. Why? You'll get a better quality of support and service should anything go wrong with your trumpet. But I seriously doubt anything would go wrong...either way. So don't fret over it too much. Pick the one you really like. Pick the one that will inspire you to play and practice more. Another thing to consider is the type or rather size of the mouthpiece you will learn with. I don't know what your physical attributes or playing abilities are like, but from my experience my "wild guess" would be a 7C bach style mouthpiece to be an excellent choice for a student. It's easier to start midsize. Then in a few years or so if needed, the switch to a smaller or larger mouthpiece will not be that drastic, keeping the abilities you've gained within reach, and corrections too will be easily made.

Best wishes
Yvonne R. James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Ambassador.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Yamaha for their "standard" instruments (this is the name they now give to their "student" models like the 2335).

As someone said earlier, consistency of their high quality is their strong point, you can pick any Yamaha trumpet and it will be well made and give you years of trusty service. The new "Q" series is especially made for students.
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
SreaminTrumpet3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I great deal of my middle school students are playing student model yamaha's...both trumpet and euphonium. THEY'RE GREAT! I would suggest finding a used pro or intermediate horn...more bang for your buck.
Strad 37
1950's Leblanc Paris Flugel
jazzmanH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still playing my old yamaha student horn in a couple of collegiate ensembles. Although I am seeking a good new (used) trumpet for a low price. (euph. is major instrument)
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday pcovento.
As the other posters have said, Yamaha are a pretty good choice. B&S trumpets are becoming more well known in Australia and they are also very good. Where in Aus are you?
Cheers
Laurie
QuietLoud
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First time trumpet choice Reply with quote

SD-Vic wrote:
. . . But if I had to pick? Kanstul. Why? You'll get a better quality of support and service should anything go wrong with your trumpet. . . . .

I do not know whether the original poster can count on the same level of support and service that you enjoy. You are in San Diego, while the original poster is in Australia. For him, Kanstul would probably be an over-seas imported brand. I live in Canada, right next door to the US, and even I would have service problems now, thanks to the current border situation. Your government (quite correctly in my opinion) is trying to improve scrutiny of shipments of goods into the US. I have no idea how long it will take to ship a horn back to the US in the future, but I would probably want to add a couple of weeks to what I might have expected, say a couple of years ago.

MySpace: Search for "Mobile Writer"

Entertainment: Iron Chef America, BBC Radio 2: Listen To The Band. Making strange noises on brass instruments. Other stuff.
SD-Vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuietLoud wrote:
Quote:
I do not know whether the original poster can count on the same level of support and service that you enjoy. You are in San Diego, while the original poster is in Australia. For him, Kanstul would probably be an over-seas imported brand...

You are absolutely right in that Kanstul is in the U.S., and direct factory service may or may not be in a timely manner that might be desired. But lets look at the whole picture. Yamaha is made outside of Australia. For that matter, Bach, King, Stomvi, Zeus, etc... Will Yamaha's factory directly provide repair service? Probably not. Kanstul Music, Inc. clearly states that they provide a Lifetime Warranty. Yamaha provides a Limited Five Year Warranty. Both of these statements can be verrified on their websites. I'm not trying to say that one instrument is better than the other, but purchasing a decent trumpet for him will likely be one that is imported so timely repair issues may be about the same. What differs though is the duration of product support. Hmmm...LIFETIME vs. limited 5 years....

I like Yamaha. I like Kanstul. I like Schilke. Heck..., I like Hamburgers.
I just hope which ever trumpet pcovento purchases is one that he enjoys, but he asked for an opinion, and I gave it. I don't see why my quote needed to be scrutinized when it was an opinion with no negative connotation whatsover. And that's not my 2 cents worth...That's a $1,000,000,000.00 worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: