• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know I'm working with the systamtic approach book. And today i was flipping threw some pages and i saw that i will need more books. I think i will need :

Characteristic Studies by Herbert L. Clarke
Technical Studies by Herbert L. Clarke
Saint-Jacome Complete Method For Trumpet
Lip Flexibilities on Trumpet vol. 1,2&3
Charles Colin

Lip Flexibilities on Trumpet Walter M. Smith

Know here are my questions:

are those all the books that i will need for systematic approach?

and I don't have allot of money right know . although I'm still on lesson one I am looking at the future and I know that in lesson 4 i will need to get Technical Studies by Herbert L. Clarke . So I am sure that i will get that one. and then i think that the next book claude talks about is the Lip Flexibilities on Trumpet Walter M. Smith . So I think i will buy those 2 books for know and then later I will get the Saint-Jacome Complete Method For Trumpet and Characteristic Studies by Herbert L. Clarke and Lip Flexibilities on Trumpet vol. 1,2&3
Charles Colin.

Is this the order in which i should purchase the books? and also are their any other books that i will need for systematic approach?

And know i am really thinking into the future but after Systematic approach what is next? Cause Im sure that claude doesnt build just screamers. Or will the systamic book also help me build my techniqal skills and all the other stuff ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy the books as you need them through the course of the book.

You should be staying on each lesson in SA for two weeks, so you've got a good 2 years of material to cover. Don't waste energy wondering about what comes after that - concentrate on the present and the future will fall right into place.

In my 14 years with Claude we went through the following books, plus some I don't remember right off hand:

"Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" by Claude Gordon (the info in this book is INDISPENSABLE)

"Systematic Approach To Daily Practice for Trumpet" by Claude Gordon (for more advanced players with an upper range at least starting to approach High C and at least a year or more of playing experience)

"27 Groups of Exercises" by Earl D. Irons

"Technical Studies for the Cornet" by Herbert L. Clarke

“Daily Trumpet Routines” by Claude Gordon

“Saint-Jacome’s Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet”

“Arban’s Celebrated Method”

“Lip Flexibility On The Trumpet Or Cornet” by Walter M. Smith

"Lip Flexibilities for Trumpet" (all 3 Volumes) by Charles Colin

“Tongue Level Studies” by Claude Gordon

“Characteristic Studies for the Cornet” by Herbert L. Clarke

Schlossberg

Charlier

Gatti Grand Method

Ernest Williams Grand Method

Advanced Daily Studies (The Harris Daily Routine)

“30 Velocity Studies” by Claude Gordon

“Lip Training” by “Pedro Lazono”

A book of Exercises by William Thiecke

So you see, there's plenty to keep you busy when you are ready for them. First do the SA material and what it assigns. For a more personalized development routine, you can contact me at my saxytrumpet@compuserve.com e-mail address and we can discuss private instruction.

All for now,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I let you know that today i got the clarke technikal study book and the walter m smith flexibility book.

I haven't used them yet because I haven't gotten to that part sa. Buy maybe in like 3 weeks I'll probably have to start using the clarke book when i get to chapter 4.

Any warnings or suggestions that you want to give while working with Clarke Techniqal studies book?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: