• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Universal Routines...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any Pivot System routines that are universal across all classifications ( like Caruso 6 notes )? How about across all upstream or all downstream classifications?

J. Freedman
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-08 08:37, Jerry Freedman wrote:
Are there any Pivot System routines that are universal across all classifications ( like Caruso 6 notes )? How about across all upstream or all downstream classifications?

J. Freedman

Hey, Jerry,

I guess nobody's answered this post . . . so I'll toss out a couple things.

I'm reasonably certain that Caruso had no idea that there were any different types of players and consequently he didn't allow for that. Doc would make sure that he had your type figured out and then would prescribe drills to get your pivot correct for your particular physical type. Once all that had been worked out (and it can take a very long time for some players) he did have many drills that he gave to pretty much everybody. Until you had mastered your pivot, however, he probably wouldn't trust you with any of the more advanced stuff.

And once all your chop issues had been addressed, you could pretty much practice anything you wanted to.

He busted me for playing without the right legs of my inner embouchure (thank God), telling me that my jazz legato tonguing without the essential four legs of my inner embouchure was completely ruining all my chances for developing any endurance. So I asked him what I could practice that would develop my endurance for blowing jazz choruses, and he simply said that if I was using all four legs correctly, that I could practice jazz and it would improve my endurance. What a concept!

So, doing the initial dosages of correctional procedures a la Reinhardt gets you to the point where you can practice anything and it will build chops. How much more universal can you get than that?

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: