• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2 and 1/2 months in "postcards from the edge"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: 2 and 1/2 months in "postcards from the edge" Reply with quote

been practicing and hour plus daily usu in separate segments and pretty much all back after a 23 year layoff. what isn't back is the musicianship (is that the right word?)that comes from playing in multiple ensembles. also endurance might be lagging but in truth i never felt very "endurable" at any time.

since i never gained a facility with the clarke studies (i wasn't a music major and started playing trumpet when i was 21'ish) no surprise that they are still challenging.

i suppose i'm probably well below the "technical" curve. here's a question for any willing to answer. 1st study metronome times on my end vary between 69 and 92. what are they for you & who rips through the 1st technical study at 112 per measure or better?

happy practicing,

richard oliver
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard:

First off, I'm sorry you didn't get any takers (that posted publicly anyway) on your Arban's/Clarke comparison exercise thread below. I also can't add anything to this thread re: Clarke. Maybe I'll pick up one or the other of those technical books this summer. Too much church playing and lesson warmup stuff (Doc Reinhardt pedagogy) right now.

I will tell you that I started using my metronome (quarter note=74) on the Reinhardt Pivot Stabilizer exercise and when I mentioned doing so my teacher was thrilled (most of his high school students "can't find" their metronomes,) but suggested quarter note=60 would be better.

I'll look forward to comparing "speed work" with you after Easter!
Scooter01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't be too concerned with what others can do speed wise. The biggest limiting factor is how fast your valves move. I like to work on eveness of tone and steady even tempo. These are also great for working on breath control. I always started out slowly on each of the Clarke Studies and gradually sped them up, with a metronome. Bud Herseth said something in an interview that always stuck with me. He said: "Some one will always play higher, faster or louder than you. It's what you do with the notes (musically)
that counts."
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather play something slower and have every note sound crystal clear so that each and every note is a masterpiece (not that I can actually do that all the time.) Doing that is what makes the difference between an excellent player (Winton for instance) and an average one. Speed comes later.

Have you ever watched someone in a race who lets up at the last minute and suddenly gets passed. They lose because they did not focus on each and every step all the way through the very last one. Trumpet playing is like that. You have to focus all the way through.
jfmaulding

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Method Music vs. Performance Music Reply with quote

In my previous trumpet life (20 year layoff) I was a "biggie" on practicing via music method books like Arbans and Clarke. The goal was to practice the method segments over and over until you almost memorized them. They would become "a part" of the trumpet you. When it came to performance music, it all was supposed to be sub-sets of the method material and you should be able to "rip" through them if...you had acquired good command of the method books.

Well...now I do things differently "not that I was wrong in the past" but I spend much more time practicing "performance music." After all....my goal is instead of being a great trumpet player...is to create a "great trumpet performance." I do spend some time in the method books but I have a great deal of difficult trumpet performance music that I am planning to perform, so I spend most of my time on that.

Each one of us has "so much ability" and this seems to be the best way for me to maximize what abilities I have along with the available time to dedicate to it.

John Maulding
D is my main horn
Trombone- King 3B with F
Holton TR150 with F
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input!! i agree with what everyone said. entirely.

also . . . got a chance to hear the old selmer un-whisper-muted FINALLY!!. wow, she's a beast.

rehersed with organsit and choir director yesterday. both very good musicians. Easter vigil and Mass contains some hymns with a descant or two, 2 prologues . . . baroque sounding piece but not one i know, wonderful alleluia's, and accompaning on various parts of the Mass.

the church has wonderful acoustics and from my perch in loft behind congregation in the nave, sounds good . . . play soft and stuff works and open up especially above d or e-flat in the staff going right up the ladder and this horn has the best sound (i.e. one that i'm thrilled with beyond words). nice edge if needed, great center, heck it's all but perfect. sorry i'm going on, but i can't stop.

good news: i've not played in 23 years and what do i know . . . horn and i prob sound like a goat whose tail is being tromped upon by a feral pig.

hope all the playing we try, do, and pull off this Easter proves a blessing to all.

richard
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard:

Inspiring post... do "go on" all you want! It's such a blessing to hear others' accounts of successes and ephiphanal experiences. We're getting ready for our Protestant Easter drama (actuallly to be performed next Sunday.) This year, for the first time in the three years I've been playing with this church, I actually have another trumpet player with me... we've been splitting the 1st/2nd parts and she has been great for giving pointers and soliciting feedback.

I'm sure your public playing will go very, very well. (...and how does the goat know whether or not it's tail is being trod upon by a feral or a domesticated pig?)
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 and 1/2 months in "postcards from the edge" Reply with quote

richardwy wrote:
here's a question for any willing to answer. 1st study metronome times on my end vary between 69 and 92. what are they for you & who rips through the 1st technical study at 112 per measure or better?

Let me be really clear that I, too, believe there is lots more to trumpet playing than ripping exercises and screaming high notes. My own hour a day includes work from the concert-literature-derived exercises of Rob McGreagor, ad libbing to Aebedrsold cds and pp long tones as well as trying to rip and scream. I listen to a lot of trumpet music daily, both jazz and classical.

But you asked a specific question and I do use a modified Clark Tech 1 as a regular part of my routine. I don't have the music with me and can't remeber the actual notation but I play it at about 6 notes per beat at 120 bpm, although I "can" play it at 160 -- Except in cases of a problem horn, I don't believe it is valves; I believe it is finger speed and that finger speed and effeciency of finger movement can be trained. If you want to play 16ths at march tempo, you need 4 notes per beat at 120 bpm. If you want to play Rolling Thunder or March of the Gladiators circus style, you need about 144. Those aren't unreasonable expectations but do require some practice.

However, I do not play it as written. Following a recommendation of Clyde Hunt, starting on, for example, F#, I play the pattern from F# to C twice, then go up chromatically to the next F# and play the pattern in that octave twice, then up chromatically to the next F# (top line) and do it twice there. Then, down chromatically for two more turns and down again to the original octave for two more and a sustained low F#. This is done in one breath and with Hunt's continuously adjusting embouchure concept as applied to my particular version of SuperChops. If three octaves is too much to start with, Hunt recommends doing just two. (If three gets easy, he says to do four.)

I don't do a set warm-up, but I often do this three octave version of Tech 1 with starting notes from low F# to low Db sometime early in a practice session. I also will do it at the end of a rehearsal, partly as a sort of full range stretch-out at the end of the evening and partly as a test of how effeciently I made it through the rehearsal. (My warm up for gigs is quite different and I usually do not play post performance.)

Tommy T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: