• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zen In The Art Of Archery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most profound thigs I encountered when studying with Carmine was that he had me read "Zen In The Art Of Archery" Carmine would have me do interval studies until nothing was coming out of the horn but air but he would say to keep the foot tapping and continue that last interval just as if it were playing. In this book youngsters were blindfolded as young samurai warriors in training and told to practice archery. In time (years) they could hit the target perfect bullseyes ........blindfolded.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

This book would be a great topic of discussion.

I'm presently rereading it for the third time and am surprised there haven't been any comments made.

What did you get out of it? I'd like to compare notes.

Charly
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure what to post!?!

"Be the note..." I agree with Charly that this is a great book that takes reading more than once to really understand. And, no, I'm not saying that I do! (Understand it, that is.) I'll have to review my copy before contributing to this thread. Any specifics y'all are looking to compare notes upon? Anybody else have trouble reading the pages near the end? Maybe it was just too late at night... At any rate, I think the book itself is yet another one of those CC-kinda' things. Read it, don't try to get everything out of it at first, and lo and behold some of the concepts will permeate your trumpet playing (and the rest of your life).

Perhaps we don't have to kill ourselves or analyze ourselves into catonia to play the trumpet, shoot a gun, or make a decent pan of brownies.

Interesting topic - Don
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-23 22:48, bugleboy wrote:

Paul,

This book would be a great topic of discussion.

I'm presently rereading it for the third time and am surprised there haven't been any comments made.

What did you get out of it? I'd like to compare notes.

Charly

Charly,

I think the main thing I got out of it was that to properly reap the benefit of Carmine's drills one had to approach them much as the blindfolded archer approached his particular discipline. It is in exposing of the body to a specific action that it is learned and as Carmine would sday time and again "The body will find the way". The drills are calisthetics not musical endeavours and have to be approached with ear muffs on if not a blindfold. The important thing I think is to repeat the actions in as relaxed and efficent manner as possible without forcing and let the body adjust...just as by repeatedly shooting the arrow at the target blinfolded eventually the action is completed successfully.
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: