• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing Exercises and Cold Weather!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man it is starting to get cold already! I've been getting up early in the morning and it is very cold to go out do the breathing exercises. I seem to have more problems doing them in the cold air than not. Since it's only going to get colder I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, comments, snide remarks, etc......
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cold in Berlin, too!

I wear a hooded jacket and if it's real cold, I wrap a scarf around my mouth and nose - helps warm up the air coming in.

Hope this helps,

John
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what John said about the scarf... Cold air tends to be drier (where I live, it's almost always very dry even without the cold) and can lead to sore throats. You could also carry some throat lozenges or chew some gum to help keep your throat moist (yeah, I know this may make it harder to do breathing exercises -- nothing like swallowing the lozenge!) Ounce of prevention and all that... If it's too cold out (e.g. below 0degF) I'd take it inside, or do them later in the day, if at all possible.

Still working on the snide remarks...

FWIW - Don
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

>I've got plenty of snide remarks, but they are rather off topic for this one. (kind of like the relationship between pogo sticks and cheese cake !

>Where I live it doesn't get that cold that often but I think that taking them inside would be I good idea. However if you are running marathons you may want to rethink that (unless you own a unusually large home)
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 23:25 ]
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find they are much harder to do while walking as opposed to walking in place.
Anyone else find this to be true?

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-22 04:04, John Mohan wrote:
It's cold in Berlin, too!
I wear a hooded jacket and if it's real cold, I wrap a scarf around my mouth and nose - helps warm up the air coming in.
Hope this helps,
John

I've done this too, John and I can say to be sure to wash that scarf before your next outdoor exercise because it gets kind of sticky.

I would also suggest to "warm down" from your exercise inside the house and not outside. Even as a former long distance runner, I had to be concerned about frosted lungs.

Be well,

Liad
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!! I've done some reading and in No Harder than Deep Breathing. Claude specfically says not to do them in place and to go outside. Would it still be beneficial to do them on a treadmill? I would think this would be acceptable since the body is "walking" and getting the same type of exercise! My lungs have tended to not feel so well with the cold!! Single digits already!!!

GO COUGS!! #5 in the Country!!!
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-04 14:36, Vessehune wrote:
OK!! I've done some reading and in No Harder than Deep Breathing. Claude specfically says not to do them in place and to go outside. Would it still be beneficial to do them on a treadmill? I would think this would be acceptable since the body is "walking" and getting the same type of exercise! My lungs have tended to not feel so well with the cold!! Single digits already!!!
GO COUGS!! #5 in the Country!!!

Did Claude live in Germany or in an area where there are single digits at this time of year? Brian, IMO, you have to be practical and reasonable with your health. If coldness affects your lungs, then why torture yourself and get sick?

Find an alternative. Go to a gym or another large enclosed place during the winter time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: