• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

comback update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulmanpete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: comback update Reply with quote

Hi havn't been on for a while and the comback is going ok been playing now for 4 months and can play basic tunes pretty well and the tone is getting better ..
One thing one I am having trouble increasing my range can play up to D then zzzzzz
play lower notes well ..any suggestions
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep practicing. There is no short cut for this.

If you are not taking lessons, give it a whirl. A GOOD private teacher will help you get your practice sessons into focus and to identify what it is you need to work on each day.

Don't overdo the practice at the start. You can do more damage than good. Practice in short sessions with a rest period between playing.

In time it will all come.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul,

for the 1st three weeks i spent maybe 2 hrs or so a day usually in 20 minute sessions playing the Arban's 1st studies and for fun got a hymnal.

endurance and range were nil in the beginning. they both improved over time. i spent very little time "noodling around." lol, prob due to the lack of endurance and range.

happy practicing,

richard oliver
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned quickly that at my age (56 when I began my comeback after not playing at all for about 20 years) the chops don't want to do what they did when we were in our teens. It took me six months to get to where I could play much of anything with comfort and confidence. Then the doors of opportunity began opening. First came community band, then the opportunity for some organized practice with the advanced band at a private Christian school, then community jazz ensemble, followed by our local university concert band and university jazz ensemble. All of those opportunities presented challenges that have really helped me along. Sometimes the progress has been slow, and at other times things have come back to me with surprising expedition. I'm still struggling with double and triple tonguing, but I think I'll eventually get there.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the D you're talking about in the staff or above it? For 4 months back playing D above the staff is pretty damned good, IMHO. I've been back for 17 mo. and only play a usable high C (after 50 years off). At 66 my physical endurance isn't what it once was either. I think that lip slurs helped me the most to build up. Your mileage may vary.

Stan
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shastastan wrote:
...playing D above the staff is pretty damned good, IMHO....

what he said! Congrats! Stop now or you'll be one MORE cat who can play higher than me!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the D you are having trouble with is the 4th line D in the staff, that is not unusual. For the first few months of my comeback, when I got to Eb I couldn't get it to stabilize at all. E above that was so sharp it hurt, and I had to reset my lips for anything above that. The tone was pretty bad, and it was very discouraging.

What worked for me was focussing my air to the center of the cup, and trying to make the airstream as small (no decrease in airspeed or pressure) as possible. More mental than physical maybe, but I heard Bob Odneal speak about the mental concept of pulling a thread from between the lips, and focussing on that tiny area. I found by rolling the lips in it made it easier to get that focused sound. Everything stabilized better, tone got better, and the 'break' that was at Eb moved up to 1st ledger A.

If you are talking about 2nd ledger line D, forget everything I've said. You've got a better grasp of it all than I do, and if you can slot high C# consistently, have 2 notes on me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: