• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benefits of Playing in a Community Band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldsmen61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Benefits of Playing in a Community Band Reply with quote

Last week at our rehearsal our director told us a story about how early in his career he played in a band in LA and most of the brass players from the LA Symphony used to sit in because Mendez used play with them and they wanted a chance to play with him. He went on to tell us how he played the clarinet and at the time mendez and the principal trombone from the LA symphony would join in with the clarinets (bored with the brass parts) to play these incredible runs and then challange the director to play them faster and faster finally only mendez and the trombone would try to out play each other. I own a 61' mendez so I felt a small connection with the story.

Finally the clarinetist that sits in front of me brought in an old photograph of a band that he played in and low and behold there was a guy holding a trombone in the back row, you might of heard of him John Williams!. Wow it is a small world after all.
Olds Ambassador Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: