• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Requesting Help From Anyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-JAZZ-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Requesting Help From Anyone Reply with quote

I have a situation, and I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

I was playing the trumpet for 8 years straight. I was an excellent player, getting first chair in Wind Emsemble, and Jazz band. I enjoyed everything I did with the trumpet, I also participated in musicals, marching band, etc....

Well, last year in Febuary, I developed a heiatal hernia (pronounced (high-ate-al)). Basically it is a result of a stomach condition that I have known as acid reflux. Part of the stomach lining at the bottom of the esphogus actually moves up into the esphogus as well as acid from the stomach moving up into the back of my throat. This caused me a great deal of pain while playing the trumpet, to the point where I had to completely stop. I tried to play every week, but it just would change. I have since been trying to play at least once a month, and I have a good feeling that everyting has cleared up, thanks to medication.

The only problem, I can barely play. Im lucky if I can hit a C on the staff (one above low C). Its been a good year without playing after playing for 8 straight years. I miss the trumpet/music way too much to just give up and never try or try in another 10 years.

Im just looking for some advice on where to start. My embrochure is completely shot, when I try to play, my top lip fills with air due to the lack of muscles/lack of playing the past year. I dont want to shrug it off, becase I know that is the incorrect way to play.

What are some good things to do in my situation. Exercises, routines?? Just for the first couple of months to get myself to shape where I dont have to think about using certain muscles or trying to build muscle up in my embrochure and other places.

I mostly need guidance on how to fix my embrochure with the air pocket building up. I dont want that to become a problem later on. Im just not sure where to start in trying to strenghen it. Because every time I go to play a note, air rushes into the top lip no matter how hard I try to keep the top lip firm/control the muscles up there.

I will appreciate any help I can get, this means a lot to me, and I just want to play again, the way I use too.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good teacher. Soft long tones, focusing on the sound. Caruso. Stamp. BE. Did I mention a good teacher?

HTH - Don
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the links below:
http://store.yahoo.com/boptismpublishing/pipu.html
http://www.airstreamdynamics.com/index2.htm
http://www.r-o-d-d-y-t-r-u-m-p-e-t.cc/home.html
http://www.purtle.com/jeff_articles.html

And as Don said, a good teacher.

Pete
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, what does your doctor say? This is an operable condition, not fun by any stretch, but it is only going to get worse with time. I had acid reflux as a by product of stomach ulcers for years, and I know what you are saying about how uncomfortable it is.

Mine was treated with medication, and I cannot tell you what a difference it makes. I can sit down to a big bowl of chili and a few beers, and no problem. That was a guaranteed recipe for a miserable night before.

Before worrying about trumpet, get the cause of the problem fixed. It will make more difference in all aspects of your life than anything else.
tboss49

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with plp.... check with your doctor first.

What worked for me in getting back to playing after 8 years off....
1. long tones, soft
2. Clarke technical studies 1 & 2.... paying no attention to tempo
3. Sigmund Herring's 40 Progressive Etudes... focusing on sound and only moving to the next etude after I accomplished the sound I wanted.

Good luck and don't worry about what you can't do, just do what you can do and have fun.... that's what it's all about.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAZZ:

Sorry to hear about your condition, and I hope you feel better every day. As others said, make sure Doc is cool with the trumpet.

That said,

I have never had a private lesson/teacher. I do know, being a CBP, that what you are going through regarding your chops is enough to make you upset, angry, and even a lil' scared. The good news is it WILL all come back to you. You didn't learn to play the horn in a year (although we all seem to remember it so) and it will take some time to get back to where you were. In addition to the materials others have said, I always stress the following to CBP's in your position--do what you did once already. Dig out the old school stuff. Play through your "Band Is Fun" book. Play your "Basic Fundamentals for Cornet" or whatever stuff you have packed up (being odd, I have kept ALL of mine) Also, any sheet music you were given (or swiped) makes the rehab more FUN. And the "fun" part of what you are going through needs to remind you why you are doing all of this. Bottom line is that playing notes is playing notes. However you get the most "lip time" just do that--scales, earplay, old books, new books, new sheet music....just DO it.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 64 pages of advice from some of the best player/teachers around: http://www.seeleymusic.com/Trumpet%20methods.doc

Hope this helps!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple points you might want to consider...

1.) Forget your past greatness.

You will be back to your highest level when YOUR CHOPS are ready...not when YOU are ready. Remembering your past greatness will only get you frustrated and cause you to practice bad habits. Patience and daily SMART practicing will get you to where you want to go. Until you can lower your pride and be happy playing Mary Had A Little Lamb... properly...you will never achieve your best!

2.) Don't make your primary focus to increase your upper register.

Work on getting a good sound on notes that you are COMFORTABLE playing. Play all lower notes and if the top of your TEMPORARY range is the F at the bottom of the staff...play good sounding long tones with even / not wavering intonation at the dynamics of p, mf & FF. As you build your chops to consistently handle say the F (in whatever amount of time it takes)...progress to the G and continue to follow this approach. If you force high notes (by using alot of mouthpiece pressure etc.) you will damage your newly growing muscles in your chops and they will never develop to their full potential. I have never seen a person starting to lift weights (after not lifting weights for a year) start by loading 800lbs for their bench press...think about it...aren't the muscles in our chops the same just a lot smaller?

3.) Rest between playing.

For example...if you play for (5) minutes and rest for (5) minutes, during the resting period, your body will pump more blood to your chops thus helping to build them. This is (1) of many principles I recieved from Wayne Bergeron when I studied with him. If you haven't heard him play, give him a listen...The way he plays, I would be stupid not to take his advice especially when I paid good money for it!

4.) Most importantly...HAVE FUN!!!

You will be amazed at how having fun will help you relax which is the key to playing the Trumpet to your highest level.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan offers some sage advice. Within the last year, I made some of those stupid mistakes---using too much mp pressure to squeeze out high E and not resting between playing or as much as I played. I wish I had heard about the things Dan mentions before I started messing up. Now, I try to practice a lot of stuff at a p dynamic with as little mp pressure as possible. Building up really does take a long time. I've been playing for 17 mo. (after 50 yrs off). You have to treat those chops very gently until they are really built up. I'm still working on it, but am taking it more easy now.

stan
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-JAZZ-,

Welcome to the TH! For now, look no further... you've come to the right spot. I think that spending a few days reading posts from within the various Dedicated Forum "Schools" on the TH will help you to choose a path that will serve your needs. Once you find what you're looking for, dig in, and enjoy yourself!

Best always,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: