• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No lead player!!! Fastest way to increase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikslvrac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jazz band season is about to start up, but our trumpet section has 4 solid 2nd part players, but no lead player.

In all truth, a little bit of range increase would benefit all of us. But personally, I'm at a loss as to what to do to increase my range even a few steps asap.

I know, playing high builds your high registers. But what are some SPECIFIC exercises i can do to help me get a little higher?
quikslvrac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to post again:

I sound completely illiterate in my original post. The topic is supposed to be No lead player!! Whats the fastest way to increase range?

I fully realize that practicing playing high results in a higher range, but are there specific exercises that help with range building? My school's jazz band has alot of potential this year, only missing a solid lead player. I would like to try and build my range and try to fill the spot. I have no private teacher, nor can I afford one at the moment, due to buying a new Strad. I have about 2.5 months to get my range up, any idea on how many steps higher I can increase if I work daily at it?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Caruso forum and read the thread called "Getting Started 1". There are a lot of excellent ideas on TH for developing your upper register, but Caruso is the one that works the fastest for the most people and the one that seems to work best without a regular checkup from a teacher.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-10-23 22:47 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 22:04 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd drop an email to Frank Minear, former lead with Stan Kenton, and ask him to send you a copy of his "Double High C and Beyond."

It's a 34-page book that discussess the importance of correct breathing, tongue position, warm-up, and resting. The book also contains warm-up and range-building excercises to double high C.

It's the best book I've used. In about three weeks, I've gone from D to F above high C. Tomorrow I'm going for G, and I expect to be at Dubba by the end of the year.

For what it's worth, I'm a 61-year old comeback player who started playing trumpet in 1954 but dropped the horn out of frustration three different times for long periods before coming back to it again earlier this year. If I can get to G (and then C), you can, too!

Frank's book is $12, plus postage. You can reach him at fmtrptman@aol.com

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've posted this before, on an earlier thread, but I recommend Jeff Smiley's new (and potentially BREAKTHROUGH) book on trumpet playing called "The Balanced Embouchure." He writes it as a helpful tool even for the person who can't afford a private teacher.

Jeff's book breaks through all the "bull" that goes on out there and will really help a person progress as a MUSICIAN who plays trumpet. His book is both educational and fun to read.

Most importantly, you'll learn to play the trumpet with a BALANCED approach that will give you wonderful results from the petal notes through the very high register with great tone, endurance and flexibility.

One an earlier thread, an experienced BAND DIRECTOR/trumpet player got the book and posted that HE was finally able to play all over the horn . . . as was his 1st chair student who had been having trouble before.

Jeff's method is wonderful. You'll love it! I'll try to find the earlier thread and bring it back up to the top so you, and others, who have not read it can see it.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
DBLG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing an arpeggio (sp) softly. It should last for about 20
seconds. Then rest 20 seconds. Now do the same thing up a
half step and so forth. Go as far as you can. When you reach your limit stop. Under no circumstance should should you allow
yourself to crash and burn. I recommend doing it with another
player. That keeps the timing right and also brings a bit of
competition into the process which insures both will keep their
focus at a good level.

Good Luck,

George Graham
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

First, welcome to the Trumpet Herald! I will look forward to reading everything you have to offer.

You said to play an arpeggio. Could you be more specific as to what the notes would be?

What would the note length be, tempo, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-10-28 10:27 ]
DBLG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charles: The one I've always used is one that Arnie Chykoski and I cooked up in the early 60's when we were roomates on Si Zentners band. I have since published it and send half the money to Arnie. It's simple. Do mi sol do di re
It should be played slowly and there are volume things that have to be done. I still have some left. If you want to order it
the cost is $11.50 which includes two copys and S&H.

George Graham
14681 Riverside Dr.,
Apple Valley, CA 92307
billybob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the original post by "quiks"

I suggest you don't concern yourself too much with high notes. Instead, your top priorities should be with your sound and style. You (or your director) can "revoice" your lead charts to fit your present comfortable range. You can then gradually add those higher tones when your trumpet playing allows you to - comfortably and with a good sound.

Keep working on good fundamentals with your trumpet playing - tone, slurs, tonguing, flexibility, etc. etc. When you are able, definately find a good and respected private trumpet instructor, and before long, those high notes will become easier.

You didn't mention what equipment you are using, but maybe you can find another mouthpiece, close to the dimensions of your current mouthpiece. For example, if you play a 3C, find a 3D for playing lead. This slightly smaller mouthpiece won't necessarily increase your high range in a significant way, but it will make your sound brighter and more penetrating, making your lead playing more satisfying to you.

Very importantly, find recordings of big bands (Basie, Hermann, Kenton, etc.), and listen to the style of the lead player. Try and copy what you hear, with emphasis on tone, articulation, dynamics - style things.

Sorry if I've said things you already know and understand. I don't know what your experiance and knowledge is on big band lead playing, but I hope what I've said helps you in some way. There is no secret to increasing high range quickly. Just work on making your "trumpet playing" better, and everything (including higher notes) will fall into place. Have fun!
quikslvrac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have plenty of big band songs on my computer or cd, so thats not a problem. Actually, I am using a 3C at the moment, and was already considering buying a 3D. Oddly coincidental is it not?

Hardest thing is, finding time to practice. Between Marching band, schoolwork, and things, it leaves me with only tuesdays and thursdays with much free time. 3 Weeks until USSBA championships, so I'll be able to get to work more then.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-23 21:54, quikslvrac wrote:
My jazz band season is about to start up, but our trumpet section has 4 solid 2nd part players, but no lead player.

In all truth, a little bit of range increase would benefit all of us. But personally, I'm at a loss as to what to do to increase my range even a few steps asap.

I know, playing high builds your high registers. But what are some SPECIFIC exercises i can do to help me get a little higher?

Hi there Quikslvrac,

The fastest way to develop your upper register would be to click on the “www” icon at the bottom of this page, which will lead you to an article where you can read about my studies with Claude Gordon and the success I’ve attained as a result. Then e-mail me and I can help you privately via telephone and internet in the same way Claude helped me.

If you do what I tell you to do and practice the exercises I give you and stick with it, you’ll develop all the range you’ll ever need and you’ll do it as quick as physically possible. You’ll also develop the sound and technique required to be a modern professional trumpet player. Enough said.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

play EVERYTHING on the horn with EASE......If you cain't.....you ain't got it!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would also like to extend a very warm welcome to George. I have found Caruso to work best for me. In my college days, I would try to extend my upper range by using chords for anything above high C. Usually, I would start out with F-A-C-F, F#-A#-C#-F#, G-B-D-G, and now very softly to hear the pitch I play A-C#-E-A. I also use to practice scales and Clarke studies to increase and strengthen my register. This led to some progress for me. Again, for best results give Caruso a try. I have seen the results in my lead playing in jazz orchestra from practicing Caruso. I highly recommend it!

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
DBLG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Janell. I look forward to getting to know
you and everyone else much better. I also hope to help people
fix their focus more on musicality and less on the demon high
note.

Love to all,

George
http://www.trumpetgeorge.com
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George!! Welcome aboard TH. Good to see you here.

Hey guys, if George who can play beyond the dubba C and make it sound as full and easy as a staff C, pay attention to what he has said: "I also hope to help people fix their focus more on musicality and less on the demon high note."

Be well and happy everyone,
BWC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the arpeggio excersises in the schloshberg book. I dont know the number off the top of my head but I can find it if you need. I like this excersize because it works 3 octaves. I also like the Harry Glanz excercises. If I am short on time I will play each excersise on a different key. I will do 1 in G and 2 in Ab and 3 in A then skip to number 19 and do it in Bb 20 in B 21 in C 22 in C# 23 in D 24 in D# 25 in E and 26 in F and work on up in number 26 to the top of my range. The thing to think about is sound not the notes If the not dosent sound like you want it to stop and make it sound like you want it. The other thing to realize is that the upper register are just notes on the horn and not anything special. It is just like when you were in 7th grade and couldnt play that G ontop of the staff. Eventually you played it enough that your body just automaticallly knew what to do to play it. That is what you have to do with the rest of the range. The more times you play up there the more that those notes will just become a subconcious reaction by your body to playing the horn, just like middle C is now.

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: