• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Easter Playing . . . How'd it Go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Easter Playing . . . How'd it Go? Reply with quote

1st time in 23 years, I played before folks after 3 months of practice.

Played 2 preludes and 1 postlude with organ for Easter Vigil and Easter morning Mass. Also played with the choir on a few hymns and for the Gloria, Gospel Acclimation, and other parts too.

Whew!!! But was I nervous, and NO big clams. The old Selmer did just a marvelous job (she sounds so good; if i can make it to the comeback gathering one reason will be to show her off and enjoy seeing and hopefully playing the axes of other comebackers) and the somewhat worn-out and used-up wind machine on the back end didn't have a stroke.

I did pray bunches and graciously I was aided and did not lose sight that I was DEFINATELY NOT the reason people were there. Always good to keep this truth in the forefront of my mind and heart.

So hope all went well for all who played, didn't play, prayed, those who did not too, and all and any who spent time with family and friends.

So fellow comebackers. How'd it go?

Happy Practicing,
Richard Oliver
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear Richard. When you played "with the choir" were there other instruments involved as well?

I posted my playing experience over in the Lounge Page 2 of the Easter "gig" thread.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff, just organ, choir, and moi. small parish. BIG celebration.

richard
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot more challenging playing circumstance than being in a group of 10-15 where your gacks and clams can be covered up! Although one quite noticeable time in rehearsal I missed an "above the staff" note on a big, majestic, final chord and all the choir members giggled a bit. The director just smiled and said, "When you're the only trumpet player, there is no place to hide!"

I'll be the folks that oversee the music program in your parish are glad to have "discovered" you.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
gacks

great noun!! new one for me. awful when one gets a "case of the gacks." first 1, then another then a flock of 'em.

i recall one, opening note on "trumpet tune" (dee-dee-dee, da da-da da-da da-da, that one) was using a g trumpet i think. i could hear an audible gasp from the crowd at a wedding. well . . . at least they were listening.

thanks for the kind words. it was MY pleasure to play again. though in the future i would relish having others play too. i don't have the tempermant of a solist. edrinline is not my friend.

richard
davyar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Sting sing a song with da-da-da, too?

Dave

Olds Recording Trumpet (1968)
Olds Ambassador Cornet (1950)
Olds Ultratone Bugle
Lyon & Healy Cornet (1930)
Conn Perfected Wonder (1912)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: