• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Deletions not done by forum's own moderator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, I'm hoping that you read this stuff. I haven't heard from you in weeks.

There were several replies to a topic on the Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt forum (posted today) that are no longer there, and I didn't delete them. How does this happen?

Rich
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich:

There's several possible explanations, without knowing the exact details it's hard to say. Occasionally it's necessary, due to server maintenance, for the hosting company to restore a backup copy of the forum's database (I don't have access to this backup). If that was done, then some posts can be lost. Authors of any post can also delete a post if they choose to, within a given time limit.

I wasn't given any notification of a database backup restoration, but normally they don't let me know anyhow. Sorry for the hassle!

TD
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, LOTS of posts and a few threads made today disappeared, and from all different forums, sometime after 3PM.

Tom
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted several messages and I do not see them today.

I think it would be advisable to post a notice in advance when this operation is sceduled to be performed along with an explanation of the possible consequences so that everyone would be ready for this, not surprised/disappointed and not using more memory to post threads such as these.

Liad

"In Maine we have a saying that there's no point in speaking unless you can improve on silence."
---Edmund Muskie
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that this "operation" deleted one of my private messages as well.

Really, TD, I don't like to tell your administration what to do; however, I do think that more consideration could have been given to the users of the TH forum when maintenance is going to be performed. There are maintenance signs on the roads, signs in buildings, signs in other public places and there should be a "sign" posted here too.

You're doing a great job and it is to your credit that we are able to communicate with others from all over the world.

Thanks much and all the best,

Liad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: