• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Don't Suck!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an entertaining program (both to listen to and to play). Just remember to pace yourself. With 3 on a part, a little rest here and there will be possible, too. We're (OTB) playing at the American Village in Montevallo on the 4th. Three 45 minute concerts about an hour apart in the old church. Great acoustics. Air conditioning. Rough, huh?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!! My dad is a Montevallo alumni, went there the first year they went coed. Before that it was an all girls's school, and when asked about it, he just gets this faraway look in his eyes..... a target rich environment, I assume....

Just got in from our last rehersal before the performance, and I could die right now a happy man. We did everything I listed back to back, and it was a chop buster. When we got to 'Stars and Stripes Forever', everyone was just beat to death. I kind of laid back in the weeds for a while, and when we got to the final refrain, I was the only one who went for the high C and NAILED THAT MUTHA TO THE BACK WALL!!!! When we finished, the director looked dead at me and said, "Do it just like that on the 4th."

If I can just not screw up the runs on 'Pas Redouble' my life will be complete.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dcstep wrote:
Great stuff plp. It's wonderful to see you playing after all this time looking for your spot. Your band draws great crowds and plays some nice venues, so that makes it particularly rewarding. (Do the sand knats bite that near the bay? )

Up until summer of '05 I was a travelling consultant, spending months in places like Detroit, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, etc. on risk management gigs. Fortunately I was able to make it home for weekend gigs and hardly missed any, but it required a tremendous amount of juggling. (I did reduce my number of bands from three to two and finally to one). My situation differed from yours in that my chops were up and I knew the music. It won't be all that long and you'll be to that stage.

Dave

Yep, this is all kind of bittersweet. Due to financial requirements, I am going back to my former employer. I told them I would not be available until the 5th, after the last concert. Back to the Silent Brass at 11:00 at night in some motel room a thousand miles from home, trying to keep some sembalence of chops together. I have sold off all but 4 of my collectiion, trying to keep the bills paid and groceries on the table, but it just didn't work out with the guy I went to work for locally. Oh well, in a few months I will be well again financially, and have already told the wife there is a Wild Thing in my future. She is just as supportive as she has always been, just kisses me and says if that is what makes you happy.

What makes me happy is what I did tonight, playing in a group where I get back so much more than I can possibly contribute. This is what makes life fine.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Yep, this is all kind of bittersweet. Due to financial requirements, I am going back to my former employer. I told them I would not be available until the 5th, after the last concert. Back to the Silent Brass at 11:00 at night in some motel room a thousand miles from home, trying to keep some sembalence of chops together. I have sold off all but 4 of my collectiion, trying to keep the bills paid and groceries on the table, but it just didn't work out with the guy I went to work for locally. Oh well, in a few months I will be well again financially, and have already told the wife there is a Wild Thing in my future. She is just as supportive as she has always been, just kisses me and says if that is what makes you happy.

What makes me happy is what I did tonight, playing in a group where I get back so much more than I can possibly contribute. This is what makes life fine.

Sorry to hear that you'll be going back on the road. I went through ten-years of that before I finally locked into a stable and rewarding position here in Denver. I'm sooo glad that I kept my chops up and really worked my schedule so that I could play gigs on the weekends.

Don't be shy about trying to sit in with your group in the future. Now that they know you they'll be much more understanding of you inability to make all the rehearsals. Sit down on a not-so-key part, but keep in the game.

Good luck,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: