• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"the set" and spread chops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine talked to me about "center of gravity"....I have been getting back into my Caruso drills after many years and I found that on the interval studies (I am currently doing 2nds and 3rds daily along with the 6 notes and harmonics) my chops were too spread to get much past a high C on the 1st set then I remembered Carmine telling me years ago about altering the "center of gravity" by doing the 6 notes starting on middle C, E above, and G above to shift the "center of gravity " in the initial set. I have heard other people talking about setting for G above middle C and then try to play your entire range from that starting point. (Pops) I am getting better results on my Caruso drills by thinking in these terms. As Reinhardt said one of the quirks of the IIIB dowstream player is to "fall in love with the middle register sound" which can cause high notes to become problematic due to too spread chops....... I think there is something to be learned ftrom al these great teachwers but the caruso drills are so effective when done right, I had forgotten just how much so.
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I posted this on TPIN but I think it is relevant to this issue and worth a peek:
Many teachers recommend free or lip buzzing, Armando Ghitalla gave much of the credit to his comeback after a heart attack to lip buzzing. Reinhardt taught it as a crucial part of his overall teachings for downstream types. Carmine used it too, but the fact of the matter is is it is as old as the hills.....I have two books form the 20's that preach lips buzzing as a critical drill to developing chops. see them both here:
http://www.paulayickvintagebrass.com/Misc/Elias%20Buzz%20Sys/
and here:
http://www.paulayickvintagebrass.com/Misc/Elys%20scientific%20method/

Enjoy!
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: