• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

About jazz and cornets...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetGod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: About jazz and cornets... Reply with quote

I use a Cornet regularly in my schools jazz ensemble, and my teacher has never one bugged me about not having an official "Trumpet." However, I'm worried that in the future I may have to find a good trumpet for a teacher that won't accept a cornet in a jazz ensemble. Does anyone think this might happen? Suggestions...
Jason Palmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat Adderley.
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of jazz cornet. It's just so... so intimate. But it's more suited to small group jazz (playing anything from dixie to bebop - I've even recorded a little bit of funk cornet), rather than something like a big band, where you really do need a trumpet so you can be loud and obnoxious - though I guess there's nothing wrong with doing a little solo work on cornet. Or you might get lucky and never play for a band that picky.

Then, if you're mic'd, that's another story (and it willbe a story when Tom Turner gets his hands on this thread...)
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: About jazz and cornets... Reply with quote

TrumpetGod wrote:
Does anyone think this might happen? Suggestions...

Yes. Despite the cornet's appeal, it won't blend always, and at times you'll need the edge a trumpet gives. You can try sticking a trumpet mpc in your cornet and pushing it and it will probably do, but eventually you should probably just break down and pick up a cheap trumpet, like an Olds, to cover those situations.

Or, you can just stay in the solo chair, and later become a world-famous cornetist! But, versatility helps...

My 0.000001 cents - Don
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on this link and tell me that the cornet doesn't fit in http://www.libertystreet.co.uk/ ......make sure your speakers are on......I know Marcus very well and he tells me that the group prefer him using the cornet than the trumpet.
Vince_In_Milan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: About jazz and cornets... Reply with quote

TrumpetGod wrote:
I'm worried that in the future I may have to find a good trumpet for a teacher that won't accept a cornet in a jazz ensemble. Does anyone think this might happen? Suggestions...

Are teachers really as hidebound as that?.

I would have thought that Jazz was about music and feeling and tone and all that, not about playing it on the "right" instrument.

If it was we'd never have heard of jazz guitar, for example. And someone like Lionel Hampton would have been laughed off the stage. Along with all the guys that play flute, flugelhorn, electric keyboards and so on. You get the picture.

Anyway... I'm sure that your teacher would prefer a talented cornetist playing an instrument he likes rather than trying to shoehorn that same guy into playing the trumpet?

And sure, the cornet doesn't have the same "edge" as the trumpet, but you can either mike it up or look upon the different sound as an arranging challenge for a bandleader and nothing more.

But I'm sure teachers aren't as hidebound as you fear.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, the cornet IS the correct choice for jazz. Or rather, the traditional choice. Bix, Louis, Al, all started their jazz careers on cornet.

If you want a more INcorrect sound, go with a c cup mouthpiece. If that is what the director wants, even though it is wrong, so be it.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has merit. Oft times, it has been debated here on the Forum.

In preferring to use a Cornet, you will establish yourself as an unsequacious musician; and establish your own sound and style ... not an easy task, these days.

Keep in mind, however, there are limitations (as with any instrument) ... "projection" may be an issue, at times. Generally, if you have to "blow your brains out" (to be heard), or are playing outdoors on a breezy/windy day, tone won't matter, regardless of the horn.

Mouthpiece selection is important (as noted by a previous poster); you can sound like a Trumpet, if desired.

Keep your options open. Most serious Trumpet players own a Cornet, and have determined the specific applications of each.

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Er, the cornet IS the correct choice for jazz. Or rather, the traditional choice. Bix, Louis, Al, all started their jazz careers on cornet.

If you want a more INcorrect sound, go with a c cup mouthpiece. If that is what the director wants, even though it is wrong, so be it.

The cornet is the correct choice for pre swing era jazz.

There are virtually no cornet players in big bands post 1940 and it is as unacceptable to try tp fit a cornet into a big band trumpet section as it would be to cover the part on French Horn. Everyone who plays big band music these days needs a trumpet.

There are very few cornet players in post WWII modern jazz. The instrument just isn't as popular. There's Nat, Thad, Hino, Graham Haynes, and only a very few others. However, (unlike big bands) in a combo your personal voice is what matters most, so if you hear a cornet sound you should play cornet in your small group work. Just realize that unless your in a Dixie/trad group you will be bucking the trend away from cornets in jazz over the last 70 years.
PH

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
...Keep your options open. Most serious Trumpet players own a Cornet, and have determined the specific applications of each.

Robt

Actually, I know very few professional jazz musicians who own cornets. I haven't owned one since the early '80s.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep two Warburtons set up for cornet, one 5BC/BC10 for traditional cornet sound and one 5MD/KT* for tradjazz/dixieland sound. That second mouthpiece will change the projection characteristics of my B&H cornet a great deal, to the point where it makes a fine small pit orchestra horn, and almost to the point where you coulld get away with playing some big band lead on it if you really had to.
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:
...Keep your options open. Most serious Trumpet players own a Cornet, and have determined the specific applications of each.

Robt

Actually, I know very few professional jazz musicians who own cornets. I haven't owned one since the early '80s.

Oh, well ....

(I don't understand all that I know ....).

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

Robt

Can you say "sequacious", boys and girls ?

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
PH

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
PH wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

Robt

Can you say "sequacious", boys and girls ?

Robt

I can say it, but I don't know what it means. Darn you, Robert! Now I have to go to dictionary.com.
PH

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I know what it means, but can't understand the relevance.

All I know is that a working jazz musician pretty much has to play trumpet in a big band (in order to get paid and get called back) and musicians who play cornet in a modern jazz combo are in the minority (not that that's a bad thing).
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, PH (seems like I'm having dialogue with a human litmus-test ) --

You may be correct ... then, again ....

I, for one, would like to know Trumpet-players are willing to broaden their "horizons" a bit.

Not quite like the "blind-leading-the-blind", but I think you may agree -- there seems to be a fairly "set-in-stone"-mentality regarding conformity to "today's sound". Hence, the "sequacious" inference.

I believe someone may come along, perhaps soon, and change the way we perceive "today's sound". Nothing revolutionary -- just different.

Would be nice ... for a change, at least.

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Stewart and Ray Nance both seemed to make it OK with the Duke.
Ever heard "Tootin' thru' the Roof"? Rex keeps up with Cootie just fine.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Kenton would have liked the idea of a cornet section...with a simple switch to a funnel mp, he could have lost that mellophone section and kept costs down and intonation accurate...
...to answer the question simply (and it has been answered well above), if you find yourself in a regime that requires trumpet, you'll need a trumpet. If you stay away from such environments you will not be questioned. The projection issue becomes relevant in high sound pressure commercial situations (includes big band, show bands, rock/funk/klezmer/ska bands).
Warren Vache is another jazz cornetist, and he is breathtaking. I believe he plays trumpet too...
PH

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert-

Not to get too basic

I think if that kind of paradigm shift is going to happen it will have to be a composer, rather than a trumpet player, who includes the cornet in the new palette of acceptable sounds for the modern big band section. This might mean that someone starts writing for it as a double (the way we use the flugel these days) or it might be someone truly radical--like Ellington--who decides to write for a band as a collection of individual voices which happens to include cornet(s).

Regardless, from a purely practical point of view if one wants to have a career that includes playing in a modern big band one has to play trumpet. For big band the trumpet is primary, flugel is the double, and the cornet is for solos only--if at all.

Last edited by PH on Tue May 09, 2006 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PH

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunny wrote:
Rex Stewart and Ray Nance both seemed to make it OK with the Duke.
Ever heard "Tootin' thru' the Roof"? Rex keeps up with Cootie just fine.

Exactly, and (with the exception of Nat's few months on the Woody Herman band in the '50s) Rex with Duke in the '30s & '40s is the last big band cornet player I can think of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: