• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

If you could have only one trumpet...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: If you could have only one trumpet... Reply with quote

would you have a C or Bb?

After 15 years of not playing I'm interested in playing again. I sold my Benge Bb years ago and wish I hadn't. I'd like to get a C trumpet for playing in church but I know Bb trumpets are more common and, maybe, more versatile. Right now my budget will allow only one. Which would you recommend?

I guess the only reason to have a C is so I can play out of the hymnal without transposing however, I know how to transpose so it really isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Kent
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Bb or C Reply with quote

Get a Bb. No reason for you to buy a C, since you know how to transpose. Bbs are more versatile, play better in tune, and can be used in virtually any situation with any type of group.
Chameleon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bb. I have a friend who does a good bit of orchestral playing and he uses his Bb for everything. Of course he's developing some mad transposing skills. Apparently the principal in the local symphony was skeptical at first, but has grown to accept the use of the Bb since my friend does so well on it.
aceswildtru
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Bb is more versatile. The only real reason I could see owning a C would be if I were a pro in a symphony orchestra, and that probably isn't going to happen!

-Travis

Nothing special: Bach 3C + Bach Strad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the Bb. I tried to exist for a couple of my symphony years with a good C as my main horn (although I did own a crappy Bb), and finally broke down and bought a good Bb when the C to Bb slides I bought were less than satisfactory. I've ended up using the Bb FAR more than the C in my chosen performance genres.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played Bb trumpets. Can someone briefly explain why there seem to be so many complaints about how C trumpets play? What makes them play out of tune? Is it because of the longer Bb tubing that notes are better in tune?

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Tue May 23, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i'd get a Bb cuz thats wat i use and i play at church every weekend and just transpose it in my head, it'll get really easy after a few times...trust me...
Bach Stradivarius LT180-43 w/ 43 L-pipe
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old rookie and had thoughts similar to yours. I'd been playing a Bb for everything and decided to get a C. I got one on trial and just didn't like it at all. For me, it was stuffy and no where near as easy to blow. I'm still learning to transpose but also still have thoughts of a C for church someday. The option I'm using now is to find out which hymns are in advance and use PrintMusic (software pgm to transpose) them (if they are too fast for my old brain).

Stan
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about transposing--

In college I played the third trumpet part in John Rutter's Gloria which is written for trumpet in C. I learned it in Bb. Later when a friend let me try it on a C trumpet, I could not play it at all.

Kent
Chameleon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do much orchestral playing and in a few years may not do any at all, but I still have a C. For church gigs I can transpose most stuff on the spot since it's generally just from C. I just prefer the sound and feel of C trumpet for some solo material like Rustiques and Honegger's Intrada.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (most) church orchestra arrangements are in Bb.

However, I recently did a Haydn oratorio on my Bb. The other guy had a C and we were both transposing most of the time, since the trumpet parts were in Bb, C and D. Anyway, if you transpose, then a Bb will be easiest to use. Later on you might add a C or a flugel, depending on what type of playing you do the most.

Dave
aceswildtru
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go so far as to generalize that a C trumpet plays easier/better than a Bb. I own a good Bb Bach Strad model 37 (good newer Strads are tough to find, I hear), and I started playing C trumpet this year for school. The C trumpet the school owns is an F Besson that used to belong to our current trumpet prof. This horn has the Najoom leadpipe, and it is a GREAT horn. It feels much more open than my Strad, and if I could find a Bb that plays like that C, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! By the way, my trumpet prof upgraded from the F Besson to a Kanstul, and he said if I like the F Besson so much, he couldn't imagine what would happen if I were to play his Kanstul!

-Travis

Nothing special: Bach 3C + Bach Strad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hardyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Bb now, but later on for some reason you'll have to have a C. I'm glad to say that I have finally lost the urge to buy an Eb.

Bb Getzen Eterna
Bb BACH 37
C Bach 229
hotorangetrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Funny thing about transposing--

In college I played the third trumpet part in John Rutter's Gloria which is written for trumpet in C. I learned it in Bb. Later when a friend let me try it on a C trumpet, I could not play it at all.

Kent

That happens.... its a mental thing......... I guess....................
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
.....many complaints about how C trumpets play.....What makes them play out of tune?

The player who is not used to playing a C-trumpet, I am afraid.
Sorry for my blunt answer , but that's how it is. EVERYONE can learn how to play a Bb or a C trumpet in tune, considering we are dealing with good quality instruments, but they're just different trumpets. (With different sound-concepts also!) People tend think that if you have been playing a Bb for all your life, you just grab and play a C-trumpet in tune; you need to give it a bit more time than that.
One remark however, it is true: the shorter the instrument, the more complicated the tuning, but both a Bb and a C-trumpet are rather "safe" instruments compared to D, Eb, E, F, G and Piccolo trumpets up to C-Piccolo... If I'd pull out 8mm with my B-trumpet, I lowered the pitch just 2 cents, if I would do the same with my C-piccolo trumpet I am more than a quarter of a tone flat. The shorter the instrument, the more important the measurements of the instrument and the adjustments of its' player.

If you'd have to stick with just one trumpet, IMHO go for the B-flat trumpet. Everyone needs a B-flat trumpet, only (mainly) for classical orchestra and solo work you would really need a C-trumpet. But the first instrument of any trumpeters' equipment should be a B-flat. It is also kind of a tradition to start learning on a Bb trumpet.
First a Bb, than a C, than the rest...

As for transposing: as a trumpeter you'll always have to (be able to) transpose. No matter what kind of trumpet you are holding in your hands. That's the biggest curse in our business...

Best regards, Maarten.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Wed May 24, 2006 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt a Bb trumpet, more useful....
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a Bb it shall be. If you'll excuse me, I have to go rob a bank.

Kent

-----------------------------------------------

Note to Feds: I was only joking about the bank thing.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
If you'll excuse me, I have to go rob a bank.

Since you shared your plans with us, will you also share your "catch" with all of the Trumpet-Herald members? There's only 11.287 of us.....

, Maarten.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's another confusing question; balancing quality, sound, price, and all the other factors.

I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all the help.

Of course, I'll gladly accept donations of used horns.

Kent
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Kent. Remember, the fun is in the shopping! Take your time and enjoy the ride...

Pay no attention to the sublimal message below

Getzen Severinsen Getzen Severinsen Getzen Severinsen Getzen Severinsen Getzen Severinsen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: