• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

health risks for comeback players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: health risks for comeback players Reply with quote

I am just about to head down the comeback road. It has been over 20 years since I've played.

I've heard about high brass players and the risk of stroke and other such porblems.

I am 56 years old. I have high blood pressure -- which is under control through medication. My cholesterol is pretty much under control, and yes, am about 30 pounds overweight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the risks involved in starting trumpet at this stage in the game with my physical situation? While I do want to play, I also don't want to end up having a stroke because of it.

I talked to my physician and he is pretty much clueless about this sort of thing.

Any thoughts on this subject or experiences would be appreciated.

thanks

Tom
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52407
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite an interesting thread. My teacher had a birth defect heart problem and had a heart attack at a young adult age. His doc told him that his trumpet playing and the breathing exercises he had learned had saved his life. I came back at age 65, but haven't thought much about my playing causing a stroke or heart attack. I'm hoping that the physical activity will actually help prevent those nasties.

If you have concerns that are causing you stress, you might want to check with another doc for a 2nd opinion--maybe a cardiologist? I don't think that you will enjoy playing if you are worried that something might happen to you while doing it. FWIW.

As to Balanced Embouchure exercises, I would think that they would really help build a person up rather than weaken them--especially all of the breathing exercises. I stopped doing some of the BE stuff to concentrate on other items that I need improvement on to play in some groups that I'm in, but I think BE is a great tool to build up strength in playing the trumpet. also FWIW

Stan
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather die reaching for a high C than sitting in a chair watching the Mavs in the Finals.....

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll recommend adding regular developmental breathing exercises and careful management of gradually increasing the demands of regular practice as your body becomes conditioned to handle it. Systematically approaching your practice and carefully planning your development while paying attention to your body should encourage both personal safety and a good rate of progress.

Further, trying to find a way to consistently play with a minimum of unnecessary tension, and reduce physical exertion that doesn't directly lead to results, would appear to be worthwhile endeavours for you to pursue.

Best wishes
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your doctor is clueless?

If a doctor can't give any sort of reasonable comments or opinions as to health related issues, and after seeing you in person; it seems that comments made by non-medical persons here on this Internet forum would have even far less validity and reliability.

Is your weight under control? Do you eat properly? Do you get regular and vigorous exercise? Your age is irrelevant, IMHO, if you are physically fit.

I'd recommend a second opinion, along with a complete physical examination, and a thorough plan for a healthy lifestyle, which, IMHO, is the best way to assure good health, at any age.

I'll be 55 next week, and I am in outstanding physical condition. Easily better than many people half my age. I can run circles around them - and do every day. Good nutrition, daily workouts, proper weight. Ignore the age thing...it doesn't matter.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no health reasons for not coming back unless you are under extreme medical care.

I also have high blood pressure that is controlled. I do all the playing I can.

The only time I had to worry was in April after I had surgery to clean out one of my corotid arteries (the ones that supply blood to the head). I started back playing at a reduced level the day after the surgery. The Dr. had no problem with me doing so.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use common sense!
Trumpet playing is like many other physical activities: it requires training!
Start slowly, and progressively increase the amount of playing. Do breathing exercises. If you feel fatigue or pain, it's time to take a break. Endurance is built with lots of patience and smart practice time.
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The positive effects of trumpet playing is, it is a form of exercise. The risk of stroke is directly proportional to the amount of stress you generate. If you are trying for the scream chair in the Kenton alumni band, you probably need to worry.

Be sensible. Start off slow, keeping the volume as full, rich, and soft as you can. A beautiful tone with a 2 octave range is better than 3 octaves of pinched, strained tone. It is also more relaxed, easier to maintain, and the foundation for expanded range based on efficient playing.

The best exercise out there for trumpet players (and everyone else as well) is swimming. It is easy on the knees and ankles, easier for those of us with built in buoyancy, and a great cardio workout as well. I found swimming underwater laps also helped me get back in the habit of 'filling the tank' as far as breathing.

Whatever you do, take the time to consult with your doctor (I've found email to be the most successful way to ask a question) and go in for a checkup if you feel undue strain.
James W. Leach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from me through personal experience, most cardiologists don't have a clue about comeback trumpet players and heart or stroke risks. I had 5 open heart bypasses last year and couldn't wait to pick up my horns again. Upon being discharged from the hospital I asked my physician when I could pick up my horns again. I was worried about lung expansion and blowing hard and the surgical stainless steel wires that were in my sternun holding my breastbone together. Guess what he asked me? How much does your horn weigh?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a 55 year old grandfather. I have acquired health problems over the years like obesity, Type II diabetes and high blood pressure. I exercise regularly with vigour although my cardio is not as good as it should be.
I play every day and love every minute of it.

Advice: Try to avoid blowing against a partially closed throat. Its akin to the Valsalva maneuver and creates dizziness, elevated BP and heart irregularities. Heed the warnings about stress in your playing. Other than that its all good my brother.

Cheers,

Brian
Psalm98:6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m 62 years old smoked forever, that is until about 5 years ago when they discovered 2 arteries 90% occluded. Over the years I have “come back” several times, with long periods in between, sometimes I played little or not at all. During the respiratory testing before my angioplasty/stent work, they were amazed at how clear my lungs were. Everyone is convinced it’s because of the trumpet playing over the years. Even my cardiologist agrees. My playing had been mostly inactive for about 7 -8 years prior to this medical procedure, and I started playing again shortly after. I never gave it much thought as to how to approach it, I just went right back at it with no ill effects. Everyone’s different, I don’t know if that was the right way or not, that’s the way it was for me.
Unknown brand C trumpet
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, you hit on one of the reasons I started back. I would sit in front of the tube, watching mind candy and chain smoke. I turned off the tube, bought a Silent Brass system, and every time I wanted a smoke, picked up the horn. I also do a lot of outdoor work and do a lot of walking, so my breathing wasn't too bad. My 5k days are over, for sure, but that alone put trumpet playing in the positive column for me as far as health issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: