• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bobby Shew

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that Bobby Shew is coming to Nicholas Dyson's club in Seattle Dec.7th and 8th!! He is giving free clinics on improvisation the first day and trumpet playing the second day!! THANK YOU NICHOLAS!!!
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great opportunity to hear and talk to a great player and gentleman. I have written or talked to Bobby on several different occasions. He has always been gracious. The last time I talked to him, he spent about an hour with me at the New York Brass Conference. Many other trumpet players there were too busy trying to impress with their chops while trying horns at the various displays. Their loss!

Approach him and talk. It will be well worth your time! Enjoy!

Pete
ahtpt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i get info about this? I would love to see Bobby play and give a clinic. if anyone has a website or phone number...i'd love it, thanks
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby will be doing an improvisation clinic on Sat the 7th at 1pm and playing with the New Stories trio at 8pm. On Sunday the 8th, he will be doing a trumpet clinic at 1pm and then playing with my band, The Emerald City Jazz Orchestra at 8pm.

Kevin
http://www.seeleymusic.com

the club website is http://www.aboutthemusic.com
leadtrmptplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin....I know you mentioned this on the Maynard Ferguson website but are you planning to record that gig with Bobby Shew? I think it would make a great cd. Your band is awesome and I know that Bobby Shew would sound great with you guys. Keep us posted.
ahtpt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i tried going to abouthemusic.com, but it said the domain name was "coming soon." aarrggghh....so meanwhile, all i know so far is Bobby is doing a trumpet clinic on Dec. 8th at 1 pm.....where???? and then a concert that night....again, where? where is this club located? How much does the clinic/concert cost? Thanks for any help you can give me
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You typed in the wrong thing...it is net...not com!!!
I just heard a rave review by Jim Wilke a few minutes ago...about NICKS NEW VENTURE
which opens with an OPEN HOUSE..THIS THURS EVE...
go to:

http://www.aboutthemusic.net and enjoy the ride. CONGRATS NICK!!
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I goofed. http://www.aboutthemusic.net

Looks like the clinics with Shew are free on the 7th and 8th at 1pm.

The Sunday night gig is $18 in advance and $23 at the door.

We have also confimed Marv Stamm for March 9th with the ECJo at ATM.

Kevin
http://www.seeleymusic.com
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin....
Don't feel so bad....about goofing on the
http://www.aboutthemusic.net
as I see that Nick's Advertizement in the xxxrag-free bee newspaper on page 48 BOO-Boo'ed by listing it also as dottiecom. also by mistake.

However a really Nice full page spread...and the J-Alley little bittie 2 column.4 in add next to it looked really meager in comparison.

If Nick is lurking...
gee, thanks bud for the Warburton no.8 back-bore and the huge no. 10* backbore and a really great looking No. 5 Joe Marchinzeeee!@#$%wictz flug mouthpiece that you so self-lessly plopped into my sweaty palms this noontime.
Really great easy location to get to here in Seattle...
Grab a flight to Boeing field and yell...Nick or I should hear you! and give you ZZZZturbo deeeelivery to the ATM. (Well, if you can trust my driving or just trust in our Dear Lord above. Just a tip...Nick will not trust my driving...since my illeeegal left turn onto Broadway..as I was leading the way....to Ingrid Jensen's great Cornish Gig!) anyhooo

Like the song says...."That is What Friends are for...and all that jazz.

Kevin...Looking forward to seeing you at the OPEN HOUSE THURS. NIGHT AT THE ATM... All the CATS will be there including a few Ferrell kind...(however I see that the new ATM mascot doggy will keep all of us including the Allycats in line.
Can you believe this dog actually can howl Lee Morgan's SideWinder licks as well as "HOW MUCH IS THAT KITTY IN THE WINDOW!!! TRUST ME!!!!
Anyone wanting to touch bases with Nick. His E is Nicholas@aboutthemusic.net and phone is still 206 762-5518
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick!
Thanks for the back bores for my Warburton 4Vfs...but after blowin and testing...my chops off.

The # 8 backbore really let me "peel paint" but somehow the density is lost for me a bit in the low range and not as full.

That big # 10* is a killer. It sizzles and give a huge full sound on my small bore Selmer DeVille...but on the big bore YTR Yamaized 739..THAT #10 KILLS ME..AND SUCKS MY LUNGS OUT! If I back off on the air...I loose too much sound quality...

Guess I'll live with my #10 backbore...I was shocked to see that your #10* Warburton back bore drill size was considerably larger in dia. than my reg. #10??? The # 8 is just slightly smaller but even soooo, one can easily feel and hear the difference.
Perhaps out of habit....I prefer the regular no. 10 with the Warburnton 4Vfs....though my upper register and stamina suffer with the #10

Ahhh, life is so full of compremises...and lookin forward to seeing and hearing the VIZZUT AND THE SHEWSTER...
Thanks for the wonderful Joe Marchin@#$%wtz flugle # 5 mouthpiece..it plays sooo comfortably and feels great and sounds pretty great also.

HEY ARE WE LUCKY ARE WHAT...WITH GREAT FRIENDS LIKE NICK AND THE NEW ATM..STIRR IN A GOOD WARBURTON...HOW CAN WE GO WRONG...RIGHT???
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby's clinics are Saturday at 2pm, on improvisation. And.... Sunday at 2pm, on trumpet.

We had to push it back, because his flight doesn't get in until 12:45. It seemed smarter to make them both at the same time, for advertising purposes.

Bob Berg was here tonight, and again tomorrow with Gary Novak, Ed Howard and Joe Locke. They are absolutely unbelieveable!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your club, Nick? We get to Seattle fairly often.

Dave Bacon
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Nick here, but here's the link to directions on the ATM web site.

http://www.aboutthemusic.net/directions.html

I just got back from the Bob Berg clinic ... very casual Q & A for an hour or so. Good stuff ... I sat there like a sponge
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!
IF NICK DYSON OR KEVIN SEELEYMAN are lurking....TELL US ALL ABOUT THE BOBBY SHEW WEEK-END AT THE "ATM!"

Last night....I finally dropped by the ATM JUST IN THE "NICK" OF TIME...to catch the ast two numbers were being performed by Bobby and the Emerald City Jazz Orchestra.. (I MISSED THE BOAT AGAIN!-DRAT!!

Where I took part in a memorial event at the near-by Museum of Flight where we had the pleasure and extreme honor to have the (The Seattle Symphony lead Quintet players perform for over 3 hours...

which included David Gordon-principle trumpet-Russell Campbell..and the hero of the night was the amazing TUBA TRIO lead by world famous genius...Chris Olka, a friend of the late JIM CROWDER's)

The MEMORIAL BASH at the Museum of Flight was the conflicting location where we had a long and wonderful memorial for our amazing Jim Crowder.
Chris Olka accepted a gift from Jim Crowders wife Sandy... the praised and prize highly customized personal Tuba that was given to the Seattle Symph. section...which was played to perfection by a highly gifted young student tuba player by the name of John Hill.

This TUBA SECTION STOLE THE SHOW...along with the wonderful performances from the entire section.

Resultant tones where in their GLORY as the sounds reflected throughout the huge Gallery hall of the museum...The overtones were accented by the bounty of fabric covered and thin aluminum skins of the full scale aircraft's body and wing structures... that we hanging in abundance everywhere.
The Symphony (and the rest of us) were totally ASTOUNDED AT THE WONDERFULLY ALIVE FEELING OF THE ACOUSTICS of this place.
THIS WAS TRULY A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!!

BACK TO BOBBY SHEW...

After the performance last night....he signed a border of one of my recognition drawings projects that I dragged over to the ATM FOR BOBBY'S SIGNATURE
.Jim would have been so proud as Bobby was truly one of Jim's favorite trumpet players.
Guys..
BOBBY AND THE EMERALD CITY JAZZ ORCHESTRA'S TALENT JUST BLEW US ALL AWAY!!!
I would venture to guess.. they MUST HAVE "LOOSEN THE MORTAR between the bricks of the most beautiful ATMs new facility from the OUT OF THIS WORLDLY SOUNDS OF THE MUSIC...

I should notify the City inspectors, THIS MORN....to check it the buildings foundations.
!!! NO WAY!! ME AND THE INSPECTORS and the Liqu.board... have given ATM a bad enough time already...

THANK BOBBY SHEW!!!
....YES! YOU MAY STRIP THE WALLS OF THEIR MORTAR AAAAANY TIME YOU WOULD LIKE!!!!
We here in Seattle...will gladly RE-PLASTER THEM ANY TIME FOR THE GIFTS THAT YOU GIVE...WITH YOUR AWESOME TALENT AND GREAT ENTERTAINING WAYS....AND ALL THAT JAZZ.

bad-bad-bad boys gotta go draw....
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Don ... obviously not Nick or Kevin here, but I was fortunate enough to attend the Sunday trumpet clinic and the performance Sunday night. Unfortunately I had a gig on Saturday ... you know the christmas mall thing ... and missed the improv clinic on Saturday.

I would like to second Pete's comments above about Bobby being "a great player and gentleman". He's really approachable ... like talkin' to one of the guys.

The Sunday clinic was 2 hours ... lots of focus on warmup and breathing.

The Sunday night performance was lots of fun, with the first set being GREAT and the second set being GOOD .... IMHO. I'm sorry you missed the first set, I'm sure you would've enjoyed it ... the band was tight, great dynamics, great solos, great charts. Oh yeah, that Bobby Shew guy was o.k. too Funny, I always associated him with lead playing, but I really like some of his improve stuff ... lots of variation ... slow/fast, soft/loud, low/high.

Kevin's band really kicks ... and man there are some soloists ... Vern Sielert, Cliff Colon, Travis Ranney, Motso Limtiaco. And Reuel Lubag doin' some pretty tasty stuff on the piano too.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts.

Practice what you don't already know!
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for the report....

Too bad we didn't hook up while I was there...I feeeeeeel so guilty by my no shows...with Nick. I finally met Kevin Seeleyman...and lets smoke-n'-old stoogie and congratulate him on his NEW ADDITITON to the Seeley gang! Daddy is going to be a taskmasta'...
I hear he already has taken that old Bach 3C mouthpiece of his and had it cast into a laxtex binky.
Hey, he rules....by shakin' loose and attending Bobby's bash....sooo many newbe fathers aren't so lucky.
CONGRATS...KEV! HERE TOOOYA, MAAAMA AND THE NEW BABY BOY!!!

Nick confinded in me that one of the local papers and clubs and ...dogged a lackluster review on Friday from the Times...but consider the source. But I was really glad to see Jim Wilkey and my mentor and ICON FOREVER...MY HEEEERO Floyd Standifer came up behind me and poked me. As you know he and I was so hammered when our one and only Roy Cummings died all too soon.
When are we going to see Tom Marriot and clan....take up residence at the ATM! GADS..THIS IS A CLASS ACT PLACE...AND WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN AND BEAUTIFUL SOUL Nick's main man. Dr. FeelGood is a blessing for all of us here in Seattle...I just know our Liad would have a great time talking with him...
I am down on my knees for both of them...every day!
Now It's TIME FOR US TO GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT THIS AWESOME PLACE TO PLAY MUSIC...
EASY ACCESS TO THE FREEWAYS AND BOEING FIELD...HUGE PARKING LOT! AND BEST OF ALL---SOME REALLY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE THAT LOVE PEOPLE FIRST...AND JAZZ SECOND TO NONE!!!
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Thanks for all the notes and well wishes, both here and in my email. It's good to know that we're not the only folks around looking to be 'about the music'.

Mike Stern is in the house tonight, and we just had a great conversation about Bob Berg. For those of you that may not have heard, Bob Berg, the tenor saxophonist known with Miles Davis, Horace Silver and so on was killed in a car accident last week only a few short days after his very last performance here at About The Music. Bob and Mike collaborated a lot, and it was really cool to chat with someone that knew him so well. Bob was a really special cat. The heart of a saint, but he's from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn so he had a realy 'sopranos' thing going. I feel really special to have known him, even if was very short.

Bobby Shew's shows here were unbelievable. Someone commented earlier on knowing Bobby primarily as a lead player. His comments to me were basically that he would much rather just chill out and blow jazz all night, but he knows with the attitude most trumpet players have... 'if I don't play a couple of double Cs in a show, people are talking about me being past it and getting old'. Let me tell you, although his lead chops are blistering and seemingly endless, I much prefer his fantastic jazz playing. and MAN! What an educator!

Marcus Printup is here next Wednesday and Thursday, the 18th and 19th. No one can tell a trumpet player is doing the booking, can you? Open 3 weeks now, and already have had Allen Vizzutti and Bobby Shew in the house, looking forward to Marcus Printup next week, got Clark Terry, Ray Vega, Marvin Stamm and the Meridian Arts Ensemble in the first part of next year.

If you can get here to a show, please do. Places like this can't last for long without community support!!!

http://www.aboutthemusic.net
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI All - I just updated the ECJO website to include two sound files from the 12/8/02 concert with Bobby. The first tune is a trumpet duel between Bobby Shew and Vern Sielert. check out the last note by Greg Lyons!

http://www.seeleymusic.com/ecjo/sounds.html

Check them out!

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: