• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Bill Cosby Band and Roy Hargrove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never seem them before until today on PBS. I was shocked to see that bill cosby had a jazz band. And was that Jon Faddis playing lead trumpet in his band? If I'm wrong please someone tell me who his lead trumpeter is.

And I was really impressed with Roy Hargrove he isn't really much of a screamer by what i saw today. But his flugelhorn work was awsome. and his improv. skill were awsome too and his tone. over all i thought he was great. I wonder i had never heard from him before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Hargrove is a great player who has been on the scene for a number of years. His technique and unique approach put him right up there with the best in the business.
Ronnie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - Never heard of Roy? He's a top notch player, and although he doesn't scream is highly regarded among the young jazz set.

Bill Cosby's band is great - they look like they're having so much fun.

If you liked Roy's stuff check out a few of his albums he has an afro-cuban set of musicians called Cristol (I think) and they do some incredible stuff. Roy on his Inderbin wood Flugelhorn is great.

Also, check out Irvin Mayfield (jazz/classical/latin - the next Wynton), Nic Payton, Marcus Pintrup (sp).

Ronnie
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dave...THOSE are THE CATS!!! I like what Roy does but its easy to hear the influences! Not a BAD thing by no means. Had a chance to check him at the Jazz Showcase here in Chicago. Great show...Great band!
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of checking out Roy with Hancock and Brecker on their tribute concert to Miles and Trane. Roy played "My Ship" from Miles Ahead on the Flugel and my Lawd he sounded smooth.

Roy is a player who definitely gives props to the artists who laid the ground work. I can definitely hear that in HIS sound.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ronnie!

Nice to see someone giving props to my man Irvin. His work on "How Passion Falls" is fantastic.
Ronnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He Xeno,

Yeah, you were right Irvin is good and only gets better. I think that Los Hombres are sounding great!

Also, Russell Gunns "Ethnomusicology I & II" are GOOD. Man he's laying down some serious standards behind those funky beats. He's actually the most exciting young gun out there (whell except for me playing my scales . No, but Russell, Irvin, Roy, Nicholas, Marcus - those are some bad boys!

Talk to ya,

Ronnie
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY Ronnie! You mentioned Marcus - I haven't been able to find any of his stuff. What albums do you have and where did you get them?

I dig Ryan Kisor who is also a member of LCJO. Wynton has some serious players in his posse.
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

los hombres are sounding great with my man irvin, i like their vol. 2 the best ,myself. Guys... i met roy hargrove. It was great

Later

DRES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: