• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MSC on YouTube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: MSC on YouTube Reply with quote

So I am coming back to playing after a couple years off, my chops are badly out of shape so I think now is the perfect time to try Jerry's MSC approach. So I watched the DVD 1 on YouTube last night and it's now no more clear than before. Every time I think he's going to show me what he's talking about, he turns to face the student. Doh!

Are there any other videos or demonstrations which show a clear view of the embouchure set-up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
flat.io
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been watching videos all night. And reading as much as I can. The question is where does the buzz come from? If the tongue is anchored to the bottom lip, does the buzz come from the top lip and tongue, the top lip and bottom lip, or all 3?

Or am I still way off base?
flat.io
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Callet videos and books do u have? Have u taken lessons w a warm SC body? Who?
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Trumpet Yoga and Super Chops in the past. I tried several times only to fail without a 'warm body' in the area for lessons. Now I do not play anywhere and have been away from playing long enough so I can take my time and get it right. Maybe you can tell me, are there any 'warm bodies' in the North Alabama area to take lessons from?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave
flat.io
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ears, good trumpet ears, train the chops. I suspect u have the dog waving the tail. And that will really slow down progress. My suggestion: call Jerry and ask if there is a warm MSC body in ur area. And while u have him on the phone, set up a couple of phone lessons. Jerry hears issues over the phone as accurately as live. I'm not saying u will master SC in 2 lessons, but it should give u a foundation so u know where to head and how to get there. At the very least, a couple lessons should save u tons of time, perhaps decades, going in wrong directions. Best wishes, Kyle
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, did you contact Jerry? Any progress to report? - Kyle
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed him. He said there were no MSC teachers in my area and invited me to call him. I hate to call him because my embouchure is a wreck right now. I don't know, Maybe now is the best time.

I can't imagine there are no players in Nashville, Atlanta, Huntsville or Birmingham that are qualified to give a lesson or 2 to help guide me.

I will call him hopefully next week and let you know how it goes.

Dave
flat.io
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're doing the best thing, especially since Jerry is a resource we won't have forever. Definitely don't worry about being a wreck, even if you are one (and I'm not suggesting you are!). Jerry invested his life in this study expressly because he was a wreck for so long - despite how hard he worked and how renowned his teachers. The best time to study with him is before you build any habits. But the next best time is probably when you are feeling your lowest. At these times the mind is likely most open. Best wishes, and keep us posted. -Kyle
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmh737 wrote:
If the tongue is anchored to the bottom lip, does the buzz come from the top lip and tongue, the top lip and bottom lip, or all 3?

I remember 10 years ago, that was one of the most discussed points. It was not unanimously agreed on then. Remember to ask Jerry this, and tell us what he says?
tptguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central to Jerry's teaching is transition from lip-to-lip compression to compression of top of tongue against upper lip and upper teeth. When done fully, you can actually place a handkerchief over the lower lip and still play fine. This shows that lower lip need not vibrate at all. However, in actual practice it's possible all 3 surfaces do vibrate some. When I've asked, Jerry just shrugs. That means - it doesn't make any difference in what we do so he's not interested further. The conception needs to change 100%. Probably best to aim for 100% in action and let good ears judge when good is good enough.
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle
Jerry recently told me about his current use of the bottom lip to push upward on the tongue. This has made a big difference in my sound throughout the full range of the horn. Great results within a few days.
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, Do you feel any change to the vibrating spots as you push upward? If so, can you describe the difference?
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do feel my bottom lip more in the mix -not sure about different vibrating spots. My attacks are cleaner and my sound is a lot stronger. (as I said before) The top of my range is a lot more secure. I'll let you know if I observe anything else when I get home. (I'm on the road now)
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for Terry's update, I'll add some more of my experience. Because of the shape of my lower teeth and my recessed lower jaw, I must have a bunched chin.

That's the very 1st thing Jerry told me many years ago. And it's as true today. Depending on the individual, Jerry frequently tests other approaches to determine what's best. And the more conscientious you are with each approach the more quickly you'll learn what works for you. But for me - bunch, bunch, bunch! The more my forward tongue bunches my chin the better. If I combine that with plenty of articulation exercises to keep my tongue strong and precise then I'm set.
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I move my bottom lip/chin upward I feel my corners moving inward toward the center. This corner movement forces my tongue forward slightly, and the vibrating spot moves further back on the top of my tongue. When this setup is correct I hear a more resonant sound with sharper attacks and a much more full upper register.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: