• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eddie Blair-british jazz scene

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babystrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Eddie Blair-british jazz scene Reply with quote

Dear all,

I once mentioned a dear friend of mine in a post regarding a question on the cornet mouthpieces- cornet mouthpiece-c or deep v cup?

I said that if you were ever interested, I would post further information on this player. A really wonderful british gentleman who's is nearly 80 years old now... Eddie Blair.
I met him this week end at a family reunion in London, and, between one or two good advices, told me some more about his career- which he is very not showing off about... as all the best players I presume, and so far, noticed.

So far I can tell you Eddie played regularly in the the U.S. scene for such great names as Nat King Cole or Franck Sinatra, Big bands appearance for Clark Terry as well, besides commercials, radio shows... or brass sessions for some pop bands of the time, or chart toppers guys like Johnny Mathis.

You can also hear him play in all the James Bond scores back from Dr Noway to the 1980's ones.

Click on the link below so you can hear him play a Flugelhorn solo on the James Bond "For your eyes only" track: "Take Me Home".

If you ever know Eddie Blair, of if you ever had met him or played with him, please let me know. Any comments, anecdotes, are welcomes.
It will be my pleasure to pass them on.

Best regards,

Babystrad

http://jamesbond007.net/Musique/BO_FYEO.html
Vincere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Eddie Blair Reply with quote

Do you know if the trumpet player Eddie Blair is still with us? Eddie comes from my home town of Johnstone in Scotland and was a teenage friend of my father, Daniel Madden who died in 2000. He also played the local band scene but was nowhere near as talented Eddie. I tried to contact Eddie, when my father passed away, through another friend but they had lost contact. Hope you can help.

Kind Regards,
Vince Madden
Babystrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Eddie Blair Reply with quote

Vincere wrote:
Do you know if the trumpet player Eddie Blair is still with us? Eddie comes from my home town of Johnstone in Scotland and was a teenage friend of my father, Daniel Madden who died in 2000. He also played the local band scene but was nowhere near as talented Eddie. I tried to contact Eddie, when my father passed away, through another friend but they had lost contact. Hope you can help.

Kind Regards,
Vince Madden

Hi Vince,

I'll call up Eddie this week-end and get back to you by PM.

I guess he'll be glad to speak with you.

Kind regards,

JM
Babystrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eddie Blair Reply with quote

Babystrad wrote:
Vincere wrote:

Kind Regards,
Vince Madden

Hi Vince,

I'll call up Eddie this week-end and get back to you by PM.

I guess he'll be glad to speak with you.

Kind regards,

JM

Hi Vince, just spoke with Eddie. Gave him your landline phone.

Kind regards,

JM
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted Heath's band (British musicians) was one of my favorites. They did a great arrangement of "And the Angels Sing" which featured trumpeters Eddie Blair, Bobby Pratt, and Bert Ezzard. I can't remember the fourth member of the section. Eddie played great jazz and Bobby Pratt was one of the best lead players ever. The other two trumpet players also played great. I wish I could find this recording.

John
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwilson46 wrote:
Ted Heath's band (British musicians) was one of my favorites. They did a great arrangement of "And the Angels Sing" which featured trumpeters Eddie Blair, Bobby Pratt, and Bert Ezzard. I can't remember the fourth member of the section. Eddie played great jazz and Bobby Pratt was one of the best lead players ever. The other two trumpet players also played great. I wish I could find this recording.

John

Ted's band has been one of my fav's for years. I have been looking thru my recordings but haven't found "And the Angel's Sing" as yet, anyway.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Babystrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mffan wrote:
jwilson46 wrote:

John

Ted's band has been one of my fav's for years. I have been looking thru my recordings but haven't found "And the Angel's Sing" as yet, anyway.

Found this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/And-the-Angels-Sing/dp/B0072FUL4G
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found it in iTunes. I typed: And the Angels Sing Ted Heath. It is the second one down. Look for Vintage Jazz No. 18, etc. It is 3:19 long.

Some great trumpet playing.

John[/quote]
Emma_Blair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: MY GRANDPA - EDDIE BLAIR❤ Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am Eddie Blair's granddaughter.
I have been looking up his name on the internet to find any old pics and music of him back in the day.
It was so lovely coming across this page with all the nice messages regarding my grandpa.

Unfortunately Eddie is not well so please let me know if you would like me to pass on any well wishes.

Kind regards
Emma Blair
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Eddie Blair..British Jazz Scene Reply with quote

Now you are talking! His playing from "For Your Eyes Only" is flawless and conveys the whole message of that Bond movie. Very few can play the flugel and get that type of drawn butter sound.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Eddie play in the trumpet section on the "Swing is King" album?
Terrific section - listen to Two o´clock Jump....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Buffplumpa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MY GRANDPA - EDDIE BLAIR❤ Reply with quote

Emma_Blair wrote:
Hi there,
I am Eddie Blair's granddaughter.
I have been looking up his name on the internet to find any old pics and music of him back in the day.
It was so lovely coming across this page with all the nice messages regarding my grandpa.

Unfortunately Eddie is not well so please let me know if you would like me to pass on any well wishes.

Kind regards
Emma Blair

So sorry to hear that Eddie Blair passed away on 26 Dec 2020, he was a lovely man and a brilliant trumpeter. Rest in peace.
Condolences Emma.
Sincerely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: