• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

goedicke concert etude

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any suggestions of the goedicke concert etude recordings???? what are some of the people that have performed this piece that I could listen to?
thanks

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-11-17 13:51 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great piece I thought about playing it this year but now I'm leaning towards the Staigers carnival of venice.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-16 20:29, trjeam wrote:
any suggestions of the goedicke concert etude??? thanks

It is a great show piece for trumpet for sure. I've played this numerous times with good success and as recently as this past September as part of a faculty recital. I would also say that this piece is brutalized by trumpet players more often than any other I know of. The major mistake? Attempting to play it too fast. Let me know if you have any specific concerns and I'll try to offer some help if I can.
Larry Smithee
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Smith's CD, "Contest Solos For Young Perons" available from the International Trumpet Guild includes a recording of the Concert Etude.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, am a fan of the Phil Smith recording. He does it quite nicely, and with a great sound. There is also the Allen Vizutti recording. To me, it sounds like more of a difficult piece when he plays it. call me odd on that one
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite solo pieces. I often find myself playing bits and pieces from time to time when I'm "fiddling around". I whole-heartedly agree with Larry in how the piece has butchered! Not only is it played to fast which can be very non-musical in my opinion, some have played it and the tounging is quite uneven. Anyway, I hope you enjoy playing the piece as it is a lot of fun!!
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Blasticore: The difference in the way the two renditions sound could be because of the way the two approach the Etude Two possibly relevant notes: In an ITG interview a few years back Vizzutti, in discussing his writing of trumpet music, said that because of his thorough knowledge of the trumpet's capabilities, he could write music that sounded more difficult than it was actually to play. ----In the liner notes to that same Smith CD, in discussing the Handel variations, he says that that piece is actually very difficult to make sound easy to play.----Just a thought.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to hear Dennis Schnieder play this at clinic that he gave in McCook Nebraska in about 1986. Needless to say, he sure didn't butcher it. He did play it pretty up tempo though. Clean. Crisp, Precise, Controlled. He didn't even break a sweat. I don't have any recordings of it other than one a friend gave me of a brass band playing it. I couldn't even tell you who played it. Cool tune though. I played it for music contests as a junior and walked of with the Best Of Class award for trumpet solo.

Keep looking George. You are bound to find a good recording of it somewhere.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recording of the Goedicke that I'm rather fond is performed by Erik Schultz (trumpet) and is on a German label, ebs6022. The rest of the program isn't bad either, and includes the Stevens "Sonata", Enescu's "Legenda", a sonata by Morawetz, and a very nice sonata work by Hubeau that I have performed a few times as well. I also have a Vizzutti recording of the Goedicke, with a Japanese concert band arrangement. This version, by the way, is the slowest I have ever heard this piece performed.
Larry Smithee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: