• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jon Faddis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the DVD "Lalo Schifrin - Latin Jazz Suite".
Does Jon Faddis play on all tunes or only on some? Because I want to see many Jon Faddis stuff.
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faddis plays on all the tunes,it is well worth your money if you are into Faddis.I watch it at least once a week!!!
Nate
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen that video of Faddis playing with Tom Harrell? I saw it about 6 years ago, and I want to find it again. They were at some jazz festival. There was some very good playing on there.

Kurt Z.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey:

Tell us more about that video. Tom Harrell and Jon Faddis are obviously very different players. That would be very interesting to see.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I remember, I thought Harrell "won" the battle between the two as far as solo ability. He just had a constant stream of cool lines, while Faddis would occasionally resort to some screaming stuff to generate more applause. Not that it was bad, however. I just really enjoyed that way Harrell would incorporate Faddis' lines and develop them with such apparent ease when they were trading phrases.

Kurt Z
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt,
"resort to some screaming stuff to generate applause" ............come on man,thats his voice,its where he hears it............I think your lack of good vino de tavola and mozzarella is starting to show!! Just joking, Faddis is my man ,I get very defensive when his name comes up.
I saw Faddis and Tom Herrell live in New orleans years ago, and man what a show that was!!!

Nate

NATO NEEDS YOU BACK!!!!
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, No, No!!
I knew if I wrote that, it would be taken the wrong way.
It was just kind of a goofy pairing, in terms of styles.
I LOVE Faddis' playing. Believe me, I had his "Legacy" and "Into the Faddisphere" recordings in high school (on vinyl) and played them until they literally wore out.
I think the first time I saw him play was on the Carson Tonight Show with Dizzy. About a week later, I caught him at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. I still have the publicity poster for that. I think that was in 1990.

Anyway, I really do miss the good, cheap vino and pasta of Napoli.

Kurt Z.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kzem:

Thanks for the response. I do remember that they went on tour in 92' or 93' together. In regards to Faddis, I have a lot of respect for him. Sometimes, either from my own experiences or just listening, when I hear some 'screamer' players, I have to question their musicality. Although Faddis does use the upper register, I've always found what he's doing to be very musical. In regards to Tom Harrell, he's one of my favorites. There's a transcription book from the early 80's that really shows what a logical improvisor he really is.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really like about Faddis, is that his lead playing is very musical and tasteful. And you can always tell that it's him playing. He just has a cool, recognizeable lead sound. I think I heard Jay Saunders say something about Faddis playing second trumpet under Snooky Young and a bunch of other people when he was only about 18. So, by the time he was in his early 20's, he already sounded like a seasoned veteran.

Kurt Z
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's my favourite trumpet player. He has a wonderful sound (there is only one who has a more fantastic sound and that's Paul Cacia). And he is a great man. I heard him 2 weeks ago in Salzburg (Austria). He only played 5 tunes (it was a tribute concert to Ray Brown and there performed many musicians) but this was amazing.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kzem;

That's an interesting story about Faddis playing with Snooky Young. I've read articles where Faddis has mentioned him, and I've read where other players of Faddis' age talk about Snooky Young as well. I'd like to check him out. Another cat that's mentioned is Charlie Shavers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: