• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recommend a Chet Baker CD with no singing on it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a music library of trumpet players and would like to add a Chet Baker CD. Any recommendations of a good CD with no singing by Chet Baker on it, just trumpet playing?
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-06 18:15 ]
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure of the exact title of it, but try Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan Live at Carnegie Hall. To the best of my recollection, he does not sing on it. There is great playing by Mulligan, too. I love their duet on “My Funny Valentine.” Chet plays most of it.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Borth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aforementioned recording is available on CD, and is titled "Carnegie Hall Concert". It's a great recording. It also features John Scofield!
Rich_Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll weigh in with the great mid 70s "Once Upon A Summertime."
Ron Carter, Mel Lewis, Harold Danko and the all but forgotten Gregory Herbert comprise the rest of the band. I think this is on Fantasy or Milestone, and is probably still in print. This is the one you put on when somebody says something stupid about Chet's trumpet playing. Shut them up and play Chet's solo on 'ESP'.
Happy listening.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Best of Chet Cd... good stuff. Don't rule out the CD's where he sings, however. I feel it really helps to understand Chet's style. You might try his last two CD's My Favourite Songs, vol I and II, there's minimal singing, but great soloing. He really did some great playing on these discs, sadly, at the end of his life. I think I read somewhere that the gig money from this gig was found in his pocket after his alleged suicide. Anyone else heard this?

Kurt
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello:

the pacific recordings, 4 cd´s with the gerry mulligan no piano quartet. listen comunication betwen baker and mulligan.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-19 06:51, Rich_Nichols wrote:
I'll weigh in with the great mid 70s "Once Upon A Summertime."
Ron Carter, Mel Lewis, Harold Danko and the all but forgotten Gregory Herbert comprise the rest of the band. I think this is on Fantasy or Milestone, and is probably still in print. This is the one you put on when somebody says something stupid about Chet's trumpet playing. Shut them up and play Chet's solo on 'ESP'.

It was originally released on CTI. There are some real good albums out there from this period. "You Can't Go Home Again" is another. Also, Jim Hall's "Concierto" (with Chet) is excellent. I believe they're all out now on CD.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chet" is a great one.
capriman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Concierto" gets My vote.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 4th it with Chets "Best of Chet Baker" but they are some really equally good ones.
I just finshed "Deep in a Dream-The Long night of Chet Baker" by James Gavin.

I have been a long life fan of Chet Baker and putting aside everything that I have heard in this horrific book...tears at my soul but not for my admiration of a talent sooooooo used and abused. As difficult as it is to read and look at (the photo are sobering, stark and startling but truly this book should be on the shelves of all Baker fans. It names names and illustrates sooooo many other ICON players. The story as shocking as it is....still leads me to believe no matter how degraded and shabby a life and world led by these amazingly gifted to demonladened souls....still redeem his talent, drive and love for his music.
The story about Dick Twardzik...(his friend and soulmate) and Charley Parker was so touching and heart felt. This book is pretty intense and through it all.

Many of my friends and colleagues who have read this book....come away stunned but truly if one is a fan of this tormented soul genius the "SON,HUSBAND&FATHER THE CHESNEY H. BAKER JR. 1929-1988.... THEN WITHOUT SAYING MORE...this book by Gavin is a MUST HAVE!
But truly....the things seen and read in the book are to be taken with a grain a salt, for lack of better words, but yes,

DO BUY IT!
http://www.aaknopf.com

Also listen to the Deep in a Dream: sound compact disc. The Ultimate Chet Baker Collection from http://www.bluenote.com which also has sound bits!

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-12-31 16:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-12-31 16:32 ]
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in Paris 1955 ... incredible stuff
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite CDs are the recordings from 1979 in Copenhagen (with Doug Raney on guitar and Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson on bass) , including SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME. Minimal singing. On the song "Love Vibration" (a Horace Silver tune) Chet has an amazing and mesmerizing solo, one of his best ever. At that time he was playing a Conn Connstellation and his tone is beautiful. I would second the notion that the solos are beautiful on MY FAVOURITE SONGS I and II. He was playing a large bore Bach on that and gets a haunting sound, especially on the notes he holds for more than a few beats. LIVE IN TOKYO is also a good one for uptempo pieces; in that regard see also BURNIN' AT BACKSTREET (live in New Haven) which is full of blistering tempos. Sometimes people don't realize how good he can play at fast tempos. In a different vein I always liked his album CHET BAKER AND THE BOTO BRAZILIAN QUARTET with Rique Pantoja; these are mostly not standards. I love his singing, though: CHET BAKER SINGS AGAIN (for "Alone Together") and LOVE SONG (for "You and the Night and the Music") and the soundtrack for LET'S GET LOST (for "Moon and Sand") and LIVE IN ROSENHEIM (for "I'm a Fool to Want You") are some of my favorites.

-Tom King
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: