• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Daily Trumpet Routine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about people listing their daily routines!
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have the space.

just kidding.

but it would take up a lot of room
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have'nt got one...

Paganini's Maxim == "Relearn your technique anew each day." (1782 - 1840)

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what my responsibilities are for that day.

If I have no responsibilities, I have no routine. I hope that my wife is not reading this post.

One thing I can tell you is that I know my weakness(es) as I think everyone does or should and it is usually on those or that weakness that I concentrate on.

Say, any of you guys want to tell me your secret on how you all became so famous? I would like to make that my daily routine.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liad,

Sorry, but I'm not famous, and I don't know if my routine will make you famous either.

(It hasn't quite worked for me yet either )
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece buzzing
Leadpipe buzzing
Long Tones
Lips Slurs
Tonguing (single only right now)
Etudes or Improvisation

For Long tones, lips slurs and tonguing I rarely do the same thing everyday. I have a million etude books and I find by mixing it up a bit it keeps my practice fresh. I do have days where I don't have time to practice everything so I will usually stop at lip slurs.

Some days I go straight to Etudes right after the Leadpipe buzzing. When I do that I try to play the exercise PERFECTLY which is very difficult if you listen with a critical ear. Heck, sometimes that harder than doing the slur and tonguing exercises!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 15:40 ]
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind if I give you the Daily Routine of a well know, excellent professional trumpet player?

Jeanne G. Pocius

http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/jeanne/
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's my routines. I have a "heavy day routine" and a "light day routine". I go back and forth between them on alternate days. I've gotten fairly organised and keep a folder in my computer where I have my Daily Routine stored. So, putting it here is just a matter of "copying & pasting":

Daily Trumpet Routine - Heavy Day

as of November 14, 2002 total time: about 3 hours

1) Breathing Exercises: 8 Steps, 20 minutes.

2) Calisthenics: Double Set (10 Rep / 8 Rep) of Slow Inclined (Level 1 on the Total Gym) Push-ups, 10 Fully-Inclined Slow Sit-ups and 8 Fully-inclined Slow Leg-lifts with the Total Gym set to full height, 8 Slow Pull-Ups, two sets of Slow 10 then 8 Repetition Military Presses with one of my BMW’s Summer Tires (it’s mounted on a wheel), 22 slow deep squats, Double Set (12 Rep / 12 Rep) of Toe-Raisers for each leg on the stairs, and a Double Set (8 Rep / 6 Rep) of Backward Sit-Ups on the floor.

3) “Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet” by Claude Gordon: Page 20, Lesson 5, Part 1. Rest 5 - 15 minutes afterward.

4) “Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet” by Claude Gordon: Page 21, Lesson 5, Part 2; then Lesson 3, Part 3 (to relax lips). Rest at least one hour afterward.

5) “27 Groups of Exercises” by Earl D. Irons: Exercises 7 - 14, 17 - 19, 21 - 24. Rest 3 minutes afterward.

6) KTM Exercise: Middle G up to Middle E and Down to Low Ab, 16 Beats each note with Metronome set to 120 (this is Exercise #1 in “Tongue Level Exercises”).

7) “Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet” by Joseph Jean Baptiste Laurent Arban: Page 155, Exercises 1 - 3, 7 - 9 with Metronome; Page 175, Exercises 77 - 79, 83 - 85 with Metronome. Rest at least 30 minutes.

“Technical Studies for the Cornet” by Herbert L. Clarke: First Study to High F slurred 6 times each and Etude #1 slurred with one repeat in one breath. Rest at least 20 minutes afterward.

9) “Technical Studies for the Cornet” by Herbert L. Clarke: Second Study K-Tongued with one repeat, D.S. after #44 back to #33 and play through #39 up one octave. Play Etude II K-Tongued with one repeat. Rest at least 15 minutes.

10) “Lip Flexibilities” by Charles Colin: Volume 1, Page 14, Exercises 15 – 17. Rest at least 3 minutes.

11) “Daily Trumpet Routines” by Claude Gordon: Page 12, Lesson 9. Rest at least 3 minutes afterward

12) “Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet” by Claude Gordon: Page 23, Lesson 6, Part 3, Repeat 5 times each. Then review the exercises in Lessons 5 - 3.

Daily Trumpet Routine - Light Day

as of November 15, 2002 total time: about 1 1/2 hours

1) Breathing Exercises: 8 Steps, 20 minutes.

2) “27 Groups of Exercises” by Earl D. Irons: Exercises 7 - 12. Rest 3 minutes afterward.

3) KTM Exercise: Middle G up to Middle C and Down to Low C, 16 Beats each note with Metronome set to 120 (this is Exercise #1 in “Tongue Level Exercises”).

4) “Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet” by Joseph Jean Baptiste Laurent Arban: Page 155, Exercises 1 - 4, with Metronome; Page 175, Exercises 77 - 80 with Metronome. Rest at least 30 minutes.

5) “Technical Studies for the Cornet” by Herbert L. Clarke: Second Study K-Tongued with one repeat, D.S. after #44 back to #33 and play through #39 up one octave. Play Etude II K-Tongued with one repeat. Rest at least 20 minutes.

6) “Lip Flexibilities” by Charles Colin: Volume 1, Page 14, Exercises 15 – 17. Rest at least 3 minutes.

7) “Daily Trumpet Routines” by Claude Gordon: Page 12, Lesson 9. Rest at least 3 minutes.

“Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet” by Claude Gordon: Page 23, Lesson 6, Part 3, Repeat 5 times each. Then review the exercises in Lessons 5 - 3.

Keep in mind that I slowly worked up to the amount of practice I do per day. A good starter routine headed in this direction would be:

1) Systematic Approach Lesson 2, Parts 1 and 2, followed by SA Part of Lesson 3 to relax lips. Then rest one hour

2) Irons Flexibilities #5 - #7, then rest 1/2 an hour.

3) Lesson 1 in Claude Gordon's "Tongue Level Exercises" book (the K-Tongue Modified Exercise) from middle G up to middle C and down to Low C

4) Arbans Page 155 exercises 1 and 2, then Page 175, exercises 77 and 78, then rest 1/2 hour.

5) Clarke Technical Study #1, Single Tongue each exercise at a comfortable (not too soft) volume with one repeat each. Single tongue the Etude #1 with no repeat, breathing whenever neccesary. Rest 1/2 an hour afterward.

6) "Daily Trumpet Routines" by Claude Gordon, Lesson 1

Lesson over. Everybody send me $80 (each) via Paypal to JMTrumpet@hotmail.com .

Thanks everybody,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-22 03:04, John Mohan wrote:
And here's my routines. (snip)
So, putting it here is just a matter of "copying & pasting":
(snip)
Lesson over. Everybody send me $80 (each) via Paypal to JMTrumpet@hotmail.com .
Thanks everybody,
John Mohan

If this is what you require for "copying & pasting" then what is the price for a private lesson?

BTW, there are a few things I do before I even pick up the horn which are not physical but rather spiritual. If you would like to know what they are then that will be - for you John - $120.00 and this info is not coming BEFORE delivery. You know what they say in the Chinese Laundry? "No TeeKee (money), no laundree."

[ This Message was edited by: Liad Bar-EL on 2002-11-23 11:24 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no Liad.

The $80 is for the "starter routine" I wrote at the end of my posting. That part of the post was hand-typed - it was my personal Daily Routine that was copied & pasted.

Faithfully awaiting payments,

John
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeeeHeee!! Nice one John.

I have a concern regarding the "2) Calisthenics" of your routine.

Should we pay attention on keeping the fingers of the hand agile rather than seemingly subjected to very heavy weights? We are talking about the fingers of the right hand (for right handed people) to be well trained, quick and coordinated; so, I am wondering what would be good exercises for the fingers? Stretching exercises or finger weight lifting?

You do a "double Set (12 Rep / 12 Rep) of Toe-Raisers for each leg on the stairs." Maybe there can be a Set of Finger-Risers for each arm on the floor or push-ups while keeping the fingers at a 45 degree angle without touching the palms to the floor. Yikes!!

I like your routine John. Too bad I don't have any Marks (spelling) nor dollars. I'll trade you an Israeli Falafel for it though.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free buzzing-- 5-- 10 mins. a day on way into work or home on motorcycle.

Claude Gordon Systematic Approach lesson part 1 and 2. Week 15 at the moment.

30 mins. to 1.5 hrs. transcriptions of latest Jazz trumpet Jeff's transcribing.

30 mins. to 1hr. playing along with TV music channels.

Caruso six notes once every two weeks.

I rest 2 to 4 days a week.

Listen to jazz minimum 30 hrs a week. "Best of Chet Baker Plays" for five hundredth time at the moment.

mm
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mark.

Today, I had a different routine for my chops.

Kissed my wife good-by which meant a very strong embouchure setting.

I was buzzing lips in swimming pool while doing the crawl for 30 minutes. Steamed chops in wet sauna for 7 minutes and power water massage chops off and on for 20 minutes while taking a long hot shower. This was followed by cold/wet treatment while walking out to the car and from car to home while it was raining the winter rains.

After this, I played the Caruso 6 notes, memorized three lively Hasidic tunes and ..... well, I have not finished the day yet but will keep you posted.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-25 03:22, Liad Bar-EL wrote:
HeeeHeee!! Nice one John.

I have a concern regarding the "2) Calisthenics" of your routine.

Should we pay attention on keeping the fingers of the hand agile rather than seemingly subjected to very heavy weights? We are talking about the fingers of the right hand (for right handed people) to be well trained, quick and coordinated; so, I am wondering what would be good exercises for the fingers? Stretching exercises or finger weight lifting?

You do a "double Set (12 Rep / 12 Rep) of Toe-Raisers for each leg on the stairs." Maybe there can be a Set of Finger-Risers for each arm on the floor or push-ups while keeping the fingers at a 45 degree angle without touching the palms to the floor. Yikes!!

I like your routine John. Too bad I don't have any Marks (spelling) nor dollars. I'll trade you an Israeli Falafel for it though.

That part of my routine is to build arm and chest muscles - 'cause chicks dig arm and chest muscles. I do the toe raisers and deep squats to build up my leg muscles so I can run away from all the beautiful young german women that are always chasing me - I run back to my wife - who's also a beautiful young German woman - no use running from her - she'll just wait until I'm hungry and have to come home - and then she'd beat me. She likes beating me. She says it's good for me. I'm not so sure...

We don't have Deutsche Marks any more. We have Euros. Actually, we do have about 250- DM still in cash. I'm saving it for when it's a rare collectable thing (like the Eastern German Marks). My wife thinks I'm foolish. She'll see, she'll see...

I wouldn't do "fingertip pushups" as I think it is WAY too hard on the finger joints. The best finger exercises are the Clarke Technical Studies.

I'll pick up the Falafel if and when I come to visit you.

Sincerely (well, for the most part, Sincerely),

John Mohan
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when you come John, I'll take you to the King of Falafel.

When I mentioned kissing my wife, I should point out and especially to you John in case you are not aware of this already, is to maintain a trumpet embouchure at all times. I mean what point would their be in your daily routine of chop "protection" by kissing your wife or girl friend with a tuba embouchure?

Now getting back to your point of body work outs, John, I know from running track that the mussles should be stretched before a work out. You see many people doing stretching exercises before competitions, etc. Should the lip muscles be stretched also before a gig for instance or say even before any and all intense practice sessions?
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that smiling stretches the lip muscles sufficient enough to give one that needed effort to tense them up again to play a long hard gig/performance.

Maybe we should all take a lesson from those great players who are always seemingly smiling and happy? It would be good for us all the put on a smiling face.
trumpet fro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece Buzzing
Lead Pipe
Long Tones
Maggio
Lip Slurs
Tounging

Usually takes 15-20 min.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routine:

From just buzzing stamp exercises (and looking plain silly!) down to double pedal C and back up to high C on my way back from work to the bus stop to:

1) long tones with <> - G in staff down to low C. Rest.
2) Chromatic Clarke n0 1. Starting low C to low F# pp. Expanding up to high C (low C down to low F# and up to high C, down to F# on top of staff and back up and down a few times.
3) Major scales legato 2 octaves C down to F#.
4) Expanding arpeggios: low C-G-low C-G-tuning C-G-lowC...low C-G-C-E-G-high C- high E-G over high C-... down to pedal C. B,Bb,...,F#.

All the above without tongue attack, pp to mf and appropriate rests.

5) Any music, Arban etude or anything else I feel like playing or trp. into case, time to feed the kids!

- By the way Liad, the King of Falafel (unless the owner changed) would not get my vote. I'm a partisan of the one in Emek Refaim (if still around)! My criterion for a good one is if he/she has eggplants/aubergines on offer in addition to the usual salad items!

Pierre.
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pierre,

After reading your rountine:

"1) long tones with <> - G in staff down to low C. Rest." I realized that Carmine Caruso also has long tones ><. I am not saying that you are wrong in any way but that this is another thing to consider.

One other thing to consider is that the Falafel place you mentioned in the German Colony doesn't seem to be there anymore; however, the ones on Rehehov Hanveviem and in Bucharim are the best in town. Concerning "eggplants/aubergines on offer in addition to the usual salad items", they both offer them but ony the place in Bucharim doesn't let you put them on yourself thereby preventing people dropping various things in the "sauce". Yes, one time at another place, I found one shekel in the sauce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: