• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering what all of you use for a case. I have a Wolfpak single trumpet module, and a Wolfpak 2.5. I also have a Reunion blues doublers bag when I need a flugel too.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use a soft 2 horn gig bag with a slot for mutes, mouthpiece cases,etc. If I need a hard case I use my Schilke Quad case or my Walt Johnson case. For maximum protection the Walt Johnson case is the way to go.

[ This Message was edited by: pedaltonekid on 2002-03-23 15:26 ]
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

For everyday use, I use my BrassBags triple. Its suberb, as it can fit 3 full sized horns in with ease, has an interior music pocket which can carry FAR TOO MUCH! Also with an exterior pocket which will carry mpc pouches, oil, etc. All this in a stylish case which is no bigger than a bach single case, and much lighter! Check em out at:

http://www.weswarren.clara.net/index.htm

To keep my Eb + D bell and slides, I use a Yamaha double, which is also good If I need a small hard case for one trumpet plus mutes.

I have another triple bag made by a small retailer which is great for slinging 2 horns + mutes over my shoulder.

And finally, a no nonsense bach quad case, which I aquired with my new picc. Its great for carrying excessive amounts of gear and great for storage too.

I also have 2 single gig bags, but they dont get used much.

For now, I think I'm happy with my cases, but its very troublesome because I keep tripping over them!!!

Cheers,

Brian
Latino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, loudog, can you tell me the dimensions of your 2.5 bag? Is it very protective, I mean like hard. I will probably get one for the trumpet/flugel. Any other recomendation?Thanks!
Chicagoman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Rocky Mountain Caseworks 2.5 Standard case for my Bach Bb, C, and Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet.

I also own the standard Schilke Piccolo Trumpet hardcase

For my Schilke E3L, I use a Yamaha Double hardcase.

For my Martin Committee, I use a Marcus Bonna cordua single case.

For My Getzen Fluglehorn and Bb Cornet, I use the standard stock harcases(A GREAT case line)

For My Dotzauer Rotary C trumpet, I use the standard Dotzauer hardcase.

If you can afford it, the RMC 2.5 beats the wolfpak hands down. The man who makes the RMC cases, used to work for Wolfpak and left because the quality of Wolfpak has diminished recently. RMC will protect your instrument FAR better than most "composite" cases, but you'll pay for it, plus you'll wait quite a while for delivery in most cases.

Chicagoman
kjb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

For general use, I have the WolfPak 2.5 with the backpack straps. It's a life saver in the city. I also have a weird, but lovely, leather single gig bag. Not quite sure it has a brand, but I love it for short day trips. Sometimes I also use a WolfPak single, but I'm not to happy with it.

Cheers,

kjb
airegin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone used the Altieri backpack bags?
Xeno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use a yamaha Xeno case that came along with my Xeno. This case can hold 2 trumpets and I mainly use it when I'm not bringing much stuff to band practice. I do use a proTec gig bag for convienience sometimes. Cut of the side pocket to make up less bulky.

Xeno
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subject near to my heart. I just picked up a used Altieri backback combo bag. It has three pockets, one large enough for a flugel. It also has two inside straps to cinch down two more horns. It's great. I've always thought they were too unprotective. But they are deceiving. I may just carry it all of the time. It has a huge outside pocket with interior compartments that can carry most of your household possessions if needed. Even with two trumpets, flugel, mutes, stands and mouthieces, it's practically weightless since it goes on your back. It's really nice to have two hands free without that heavy weight on my shouder. Any triple can get tiring if all of the weight goes on one shoulder. (That's why all golf carry bags have backstraps now.). In the car, I just stand it up on the floor behind the front seat.

I've have/had Wolfpack, Dolly, all of the Reunion Blues styles, the Kanstul Chicago bag. None of them are as convenient as the Altieri. It won't proect the horns if they get run over or if someone falls on them, but none of the fabric or leather gig bags will.

If I had to go back to a multiple hard case, I'd get a caddy like the golf pros do with their big heavy bags.

For a great value in a single bag, the nice black leather single from Brasswind costs only $80. It has zippered compartments on both sides, extra inside padding that goes around the top of the horn to keep the zipper away and a padded wooden disk that is removeable and fits in the end to protect the bell. It also has backpack straps. By far a better single bag and value than Reunion Blues.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a propac single trumpet gig case. Works for me for the transfers from a car to band class then to my locker (I can fit it in right next to my book bag.) I like it, but I cannot carry mutes or anything else in it.
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please tell me where I can find the wolfpac case website. I've been looking for it for quite a long time. They really sound interesting and I have been looking for a harder case for my flugel and trumpet. Right now I use a pro pac (large case) for Bb and mutes. It would be really convenient to have one of these so that I don't have to bring both of them to classes and use two seperate lockers for jazz band. Thanks in advance to all who respond! The website address would be much appreciated. Also, how do I get backpack straps for it?

--Stephen
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add an addendum to my post about Altieri bags. Be careful. I found a dent in the bell bow of my newest horn. The horn sits bow first in the bag. The dent is not smooth, as if it was knocked on someting somewaht rough. The only time it w was out of my control was when my wife took my bag into the garage to "clean up" for a party at our house. She swears she was careful, but it certainly appears it wasn't too gently put down on the concrete gargage floor. The padding at the bottom of the bag is not very thick. It's still the most convenient bag I've had, but now I'm a little paranoid.

David
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazarus:

WolfPak can be found on the web at
http://www.wolfpakcases.com

Happy shopping,

Katie
hpkhilma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chicagoman. The Rocky Mountain Caseworks 2.5 is fantastic for carrying Bb,C and picc. They are quite costly but the superior protection is worth it. I used Reunion Blues gig bags for a long time until my college roomate's girlfriend sat on my Bach Bb that was in a RB single bag. The horn was bent right in half!

Kevin
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAMAHA XENO DOUBLE CASE. I love it, its great. Not only is it small and compact, it looks nice too. its a great double case. But the retail is sightyly costly($310). Good case.

DRES
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul chicago double gig case and the wild thing walt johnson case. I think those are two of the coolest cases out there. I would like try the wiseman or brass bags cases too they look pretty neat.
wayben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha double case. I have an older one that I bought used and got another one with my new Xeno. Great cases. Fairly small size with good protection.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfpack double with snap on pouch(Valve oil etc.) OK Reunion Blues triple OK for cornet, trumpet and picc no extra room. I always slip the horns into satin protection bags first. I have all my original hard cases that still give the best protection but for going to practice or from gig to gig the others are adequite. I do however have to carry another bag for mutes and horn stands.

Philip S.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the case my olds ambassador horn came with years ago. I have many cases but this one is compact, yet protective. It's a little smaller than the case a bach strad comes in.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

What are the advantages of using those horn bags? I've been thinking about buying an anti-tarnish bag myself. Are your anti-tarnish? Where did you get yours at?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: