• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bop Duets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told by many (and am beginning to believe it, myself) that the series "I'd Rather Be Boppin' / 24 Bop Duets by Rich Willey" is the best collection of bop duets currently available on the market.

To find out more, please take a look at:

http://www.boptism.com

This could be construed as shameless self-promotion, but it could also be viewed as generously getting the word out about two volumes of bop duets that give players hours of challenge and pleasure, not to mention a little bit of "jazz education" and material for developing jazz improvisation in the bebop style.

I hope you look into these materials, and take a look at the Customer Feedback when you're at the site to see what others have said about these books.

Thanks, folks . . . I'll be anxiously awaiting your comments.

212-569-9329 / Fax 503 214 7155
KEEP ON BOPPIN!

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2001-12-29 15:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-01-12 20:18 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to see a review that appeared in a couple forums online by a Mr. Girard "Giz" Bowe. Here it is:

===================================================

Rich Willey's Bop Duets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently bought a copy of Rich's jazz duets, "I'd Rather Be-Bopping," and wanted to let everybody know what a nice book this is. These are 24 original duets based on chords to jazz standards such as Joy Spring, Body & Soul, Yardbird Suite, etc. The book is nicely printed; the duets are very playable and challenging ( don't let Rich's tenure with MF cause consternation--the highest note is just high C), and work the changes thoroughly--meaning they're good for theory analysis (chord changes are shown) as well as just having fun. I've been having a great time playing these along with Aebersold versions of the standards.

http://store.yahoo.com/boptismpublishing/index.html

The obligatory disclaimer: I have not now, or ever, received remuneration of any kind from Mr Willey. I won the book on an eBay auction, and will be purchasing, with my own money, Rich's second volume of duets. Further, I was not at the grassy knoll, have no clue as to the whereabouts of Judge Crater or Jimmy Hoffa, and am looking along with everybody else for those lost 18 minutes of tape.

Giz

===================================================

I'd like to encourage any of you who are trying to learn how to play jazz that these will help! Before I learned how to improvise, I played those Bugs Bower Bop Duets to death, and didn't realize that I was aquiring a palette of licks and ideas all that time. Later, when trying to improvise, I noticed some of that came out in my playing.

Now that these duets are published, the public has total access to a veritable compendium of bop licks. I only keep reminding people because people have reminded me how much the "I'd Rather Be Boppin' Bop Duets" have helped their playing.

Oh, yes, and you'd also be helping me pay my rent.
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I was a lucky winner of Vol. II on your ebay auction, and also bought Vol. I at your full (but still very low) price. VERY cool stuff, dude! Thank you.

Great music, easily read and a lot of fun to play with.

I've done a few from each book with our soprano sax player from Church, just foolin' around.

A bit challenging for me, but playable. Put 'em on a CD with the chord changes maybe for the next go around!

Best wishes, and sorry I missed you in Crystal lake, Illinois when you gigged with the Boss. Kurt Schulenburg said he met you and had a great time.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, fellow trumpeters, here you go:

Announcing Vol. 3 of the series,
"I'd Rather Be Boppin' - 24 Bop Duets by Rich Willey"

These duets are fun to play and they sound good, too!

Each book contains 24 melodic bop duets written over the chord progressions of standard jazz tunes; excellent for intermediate and advanced players! Chords are printed above the notes to help learn the fundamentals of jazz improvisation. Students' sightreading skills will improve while having fun playing!

A great feature of this series is the transposition for various instruments. In other words, a trumpet player with a B-flat book and an alto sax player with an E-flat book can play duets together!

Priced at $14.95 each. We pay shipping on all Bop Duet books and CDs from the http://www.boptism.com website!

Three volumes available: Vol. 1 (chord changes from the following standards: On A Slow Boat To China, Joy Spring, There Will Never Be Another You, Yardbird Suite, In A Mellow Tone, Here's That Rainy Day, Body & Soul, I've Got Rhythm, Have You Met Miss Jones?, Tiny Capers, Like Someone In Love, Back Home Again In Indiana, Just Friends, Stompin' At The Savoy, Stella By Starlight, Old Folks, Green Dolphin Street, I Should Care, All The Things You Are, How High The Moon, Stardust, Gone With The Wind, Pennies From Heaven, Autumn Leaves): Vol. 2 (chord changes from the following standards: Bouncin' With Bud, Confirmation, Star Eyes, Take The "A" Train, Sweet Georgia Brown, Out of Nowhere, Woody 'N' You, Cherokee, The Girl From Ipanema, Sophisticated Lady, Half Nelson, It Could Happen To You, No Moon At All, It's You Or No One, Margie, My Melancholy Baby, I'm In The Mood For Love, You Don't Know What Love Is, Giant Steps, What Is This Thing Called Love?, All God's Chillun Got Rhythm, Airegin, I'm Getting Sentimental Over You): Vol. 3 (chord changes from the following standards: My Romance, Well You Needn?t, Blue Bossa, St. Thomas, Ceora, Willow Weep For Me, I Wish I Knew, There Is No Greater Love, Tangerine, The Way You Look Tonight, A Day In The Life Of A Fool, On The Sunny Side Of The Street, Triste (more or less), Contour, Solar, Recordame, My Old Flame, All Of Me, Lazy Bird, I Love You, Time After Time, All The Things You Are, Tune Up, ?Round Midnight).

Every high school or college teacher ought to have this series available for students interested in jazz!

To purchase, go to http://www.boptism.com and click on Bop Duets by Rich Willey. The rest is easy.

Thanks!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: