• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tom Friggin' Harrell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Tom Friggin' Harrell Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w530q0pfvpE&mode=related&search=

Man...the more I hear him, the more I love him. Life dealt him some lemons, but what a batch of lemonade he made! Beautiful mind...what a completely unique approach... one of the few true individualistic styles and sounds.

There's a bunch of stuff there...I just posted the last one I listened to. All of it is mesmerizing.

Just though I'd share...don't see much mention of him around here, so I thought it was worth bringing it up--

Enjoy!

Paul Poovey
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I think you are refering to Tom Harrell - at least, that's who is in the clip.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not just Tom Harrell...he's Tom FRIGGIN' Harrell! Friggin' is an expletive/modifier...Make sense now?

Paul
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. In what way is friggin an expletive, and how does it modify Harrell? Personally, I think Harrell could be a modifier for Jazz Trumpet.
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been playing again for a couple years, so I'm still getting caught up on players. I haven't payed too much attention to a lot of jazz other than those players with whom I was already familiar. So, I am really appreciateive of you posting this on Tom Harrell. I very much appreciate the few clips I was able to see/hear. Nice. And I especially enjoyed reading the article on his web site about his struggles.....I left my college music pursuits to get my degrees in Psychology back in the day. So, the article is of particular interest to me. Really great.

Thanks!
Kelly
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sets featuring Harrell and Philip Catherine, combined with bass, are great examples of how a guitar trio should function. I really love this stuff.

Larry
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
These sets featuring Harrell and Philip Catherine, combined with bass, are great examples of how a guitar trio should function. I really love this stuff.

Larry

Hi, Larry. You would really like The Chet Baker Trio on the CD "Chet's Choice" with Philip Catherine on guitar and two alternating bass players on the recording date. 'Never missed the drums or piano. Philip Catherine is remarkable how he fills and supports Chet's playing.
farnellnewton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: TH at the Village Vanguard Reply with quote

I saw him with Joe Lovanos Quartet with Billy Hart and Anthony Cox and it was crazy I think in 96'. I heard the rumors about how he shakes and crap and people were rude in the audience but when he put that horn to his mouth he was killing it.... Silenced the whole audience up real quick......

Farnell Newton
Professor of Jazz Trumpet
Portland State University

Trumpeter, Composer & Hip Hop Producer
(503) 997-2071
www.farnellnewton.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: God in heaven what a player! Gonna check him out more!!!!!!! Reply with quote

tbrinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hearing Tom Harrell play! I haven't caught any of his latest stuff but I really dug his arrangements in the mid to late 90's. He wasn't afraid to use instruments not typically associated with jazz groups.

I have heard from several folks that there is a wonderful transformation that takes place when his horn goes to his face. The shakes just disappear.

He is amazing and definately under-rated outside of a fairly small group of musicians.
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Friggin' Harrell Reply with quote

AverageJoe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w530q0pfvpE&mode=related&search=

Man...the more I hear him, the more I love him. Life dealt him some lemons, but what a batch of lemonade he made! Beautiful mind...what a completely unique approach... one of the few true individualistic styles and sounds.

There's a bunch of stuff there...I just posted the last one I listened to. All of it is mesmerizing.

Just though I'd share...don't see much mention of him around here, so I thought it was worth bringing it up--

Enjoy!

Paul Poovey

When I read this title of this thread, in my head I was adding "...is the man" to the end of it. I heard Tom for the first time abotu 10 years ago. he is by far a giant among trumpet players.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is one bad dude!!!!! I love his sense of harmonic wizardry....His time, his sense of swing...The man has it all!!!!!
kwajazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Not really. In what way is friggin an expletive, and how does it modify Harrell? Personally, I think Harrell could be a modifier for Jazz Trumpet.

Average Joe, dont mind Nate. He's crazy. Says so on his signature. And, it makes sense if by "crazy" he means incapable of grasping modern vernacular.

ps. Tom is a stunningly brilliant musician. What some people overcome and the heights they reach continue to humble us (me particularly). I saw and heard him 20 years ago in a workshop at NTSU. His affliction(?) was manifested in a very unfamiliar way. We all sort of reacted. But when the air went through the horn, we overcame our own shortsidedness and heard someone who is among the very few.

later.
Soundback
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who are not familiar with Tom Harrell's heroic struggle with severe schizophrenia, the following article gives a brief glimpse into the continuing problems with auditory hallucinations and the debilitating side effects of the disorder. To be able to function at all is an incredible achievement for this truly remarkable human being and gifted musician.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomharrell/articles_latimes.html
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Harrell is a genius. It is incredible what he goes through to bring out the amazing art that is inside of him. He is also a gifted composer. I remember seeing him up at Catalina's and witnessing the shaking, the catatonic stare, the compulsive emptying of every slide after every solo. But what happened when he brought the horn to his face was amazing! No one in the audience was rude, but the band of west-coasters was visibily confused. I was kicking myself for not being able to attend his show here last week.

But I would never refer to him as "friggin", whatever that means. Maybe someone could clarify that term for me? Is it like that rap guy who calls people a "schnitzel"?
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:

Give it a rest, Nate...I'm not in the mood, and nobody else seems to have an issue with it. I'm sorry if you don't like my verbage, OK? I'd rather focus on what a beautiful player Tom Harrell is.

At least we both have good taste.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
But I would never refer to him as "friggin", whatever that means. Maybe someone could clarify that term for me? Is it like that rap guy who calls people a "schnitzel"?

OK, since this really seems to bother you, I'll explain.

Friggin' is actually a fairly well-known slang word of emphasis, much like "freakin,'" or the more graphic and controversial "fu**in.'" Again, the point is not the choice of verbage, but the man... I wanted to bring some attention to Harrell's playing...it's been awhile since I've seen his stuff up for discussion, and I thought it would be a worthy topic that might bring a smile to at least a few people's faces. Apparently you are not one of them. It really drags this place down when people want to nitpick over stupid stuff like this.

Now, can we get past this and on to the music?

Peace,

Paul
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that the man can even construct a two note musical thought with all of the interference that must be going on inside his head. He is amazing and should be an inspiration to us all. He is a true genius and I enjoy his playing very much. He is one of the few musicians who has the knack for playing just the right amount of notes at just the right time, which is usually all the time. Eric Clapton does this. Louis Armstrong did it too. Oh yeah, he was an influence on Mr. Harrell.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I see. It's your attempt to G rate the otherwise crass and tasteless habit of punctuating a sentence with vulgar references to a sexual act, which have no contextual reference to the topic of the sentence. However:
Quote:
I wanted to bring some attention to Harrell's playing...it's been awhile since I've seen his stuff up for discussion, and I thought it would be a worthy topic that might bring a smile to at least a few people's faces

Gotta agree with you there, man . . . Tom SKILLET LICKIN' Harrell!

AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<now ignoring nate>

Rich G wrote:
To those who are not familiar with Tom Harrell's heroic struggle with severe schizophrenia, the following article gives a brief glimpse into the continuing problems with auditory hallucinations and the debilitating side effects of the disorder. To be able to function at all is an incredible achievement for this truly remarkable human being and gifted musician.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomharrell/articles_latimes.html

Thanks for that, Rich -- I saw an in-depth story/interview with him last year on 60 Minutes II (mentioned on the "News & Bio" page of the site you mention). It was a wonderful piece that contrasted his remarkable gifts with his debilitating condition. Only a small handful of people with the degree of schizophrenia that Tom is afflicted with are able to function outside of full-time care, much less be a composer, bandleader, AND have a family...His wife did most of the talking in the interview, but Tom did take on as much as he could.

Did anyone else see this piece?

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: