• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bud Brisbois

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Bud Brisbois Reply with quote

I had never heard a recording of Bud Brisbois until recently I purchased a Lou Rawls album "Black and Blue and Tobacco Road," a compilation of two big band albums on Capitol early in Lou's career, 1962-63, featuring Onzy Matthews arrangements. Bud's the lead...hey, the guy was good! It's a great album because Bud is screaming all the way through. If you haven't heard him, get this album. Lou does a great job, too.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever heardthe Rocket Man album? Badass...
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud BrisboisDid a show called "The Midnight Special" hossted by Wolman Jack back in the 70's sometime on NBC has this thing ever been released on DVD as I'd sure love to see it. I missed it when it originally aired. What tunes did he play?????

Paul T.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Bud Reply with quote

Bud did Love To and Baby Hang Your Love on Me.

I doubt they will make it tot he DVD series...

Kevin
www.seeleymusic.com
gchun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Midnight Special Reply with quote

Paul-

Glad to hear someone mentioning Midnight Special.

Did you ever see Paul Anka doing "Jubilation"? Full brass section-4 trumpets & 4 bones. Some real screaming charts. Never found out who the trumpet section was. Didn't look like Bud, however.

Also, John Madrid playing flugelhorn with Libby Titus (Donald Fagen's girlfriend??)

Garry
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive past the place Bud committed suicide every day on the way to teach.....a great loss for the trumpet community.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several recordings with Bud playing lead that are absolutely incredible. But have any of you heard the record that comes with his Trumpet Today book? Wow, that's bad.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bud Brisbois "Trumpet Today" book still in Print? if so who is the publisher / distributor and is it LP record or CD I'm assumimg if it's a record LP the book is no longer in Print. What kinds of material are covered in his book, or is it just a book of "Pop" tunes etc. . .?

Wasn't Bud Brisboisthe lead player doin' the screamin' "latin-esque" Solo on the "Jetson's" cartoon Opening Theme? If not who played it?

P.T.

Art Blakey

StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Tomashefsky wrote:
Is Bud Brisbois "Trumpet Today" book still in Print? if so who is the publisher / distributor and is it LP record or CD I'm assumimg if it's a record LP the book is no longer in Print. What kinds of material are covered in his book, or is it just a book of "Pop" tunes etc. . .?

Wasn't Bud Brisboisthe lead player doin' the screamin' "latin-esque" Solo on the "Jetson's" cartoon Opening Theme? If not who played it?

P.T.

It's not still in print, but a THer has it posted on his site for download. Google it, I'm sure that you'll find it (or he'll post it here shortly). It's pretty cool, along with a jazz duet book for screamers.

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it was Bud who did the Jetson's theme .
I have my original copy of "Trumpet Today", but I no longer have the recording.
BTW , it was a 45 rpm record.
The book covers fundamentals , lip slurs , scales, intervals, octaves and so forth. It is organized to where each lesson moves up chromatically. It works up to a high G.
The recording is of the "tunes "in the book , the are interesting and challenging .
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Bud Brisbois recordings Reply with quote

A few recordings that Bud was on I think are worth searching out. One is called "Bills Bag" by Billy May. Bud has some wonderful features on this Capital recording. His recording of "Flamingo" with Onzy Matthews [also on Capital] may be hard to find now, but certainly worth the effort. I was on a Stan Kenton recording called "Artistry In Bossa Nova" recorded in April of '63. Bud was in the section with 8va stuff over the band. The few times that I could bend his ear in those days, I was under the impression that he didn't quite understand why he wasn't being called to play lead, only to sit in the section and play his lower parts and special high note things written for him. Kenton liked him on lead though, and "West Side Story" is a perfect example of why. His touring with Henry Mancini was amazing as well. He would come down front on "Baby Elephant Walk" and you had to hear it to believe it. I've been told that his wife felt that with Bill Chase's success at the time, Bud should be trying to do a similar thing with his own career. Who knows what drives people to kill themselves, but I've often wondered if that may have put him over the edge. Tony Scodwell, road manager and first trumpet with Doc Severinsen.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud did try the "Chase" thing with a group called "Butane," charts mostly by Don Menza. 3 trps, 2 bones, 4 saxs, rock rhythm section. He came to Northern Iowa in 73 or 74 and we played some of the charts. Bud sang too, played some Picc and Double high solos all over every chart. His G above DHC was just automatic.....he had great technique, he'd lost part of his first finger right hand and some of his second finger and on really fast stuff he'd move his fingers up and use 2nd, 3rd and fourth fingers without first finger (what there was of it)....he multiple tongued some Picc up around DHC....light, in tune, amazing work.

Great trumpet sound in the middle register too!
Watkins

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yup, it was Bud who did the Jetson's theme "

I thought it was Dalton Smith-maybe I'm thinking of Johnny Quest.

Steve
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins wrote:
"Yup, it was Bud who did the Jetson's theme "

I thought it was Dalton Smith-maybe I'm thinking of Johnny Quest.

Steve

I was always told that was Bobby Shew that played that solo. Hmmmmnnn, learn something new every day.
Watkins

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WV trumpet,
Dalton was a guest at Don Jacoby's annual trumpet party in the early 80s-I think it was 1981. Anyway, I'm pretty I remember Dalton saying he did the Quest theme. He played all the Hanna-Barbera stuff.

Last edited by Watkins on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vlstpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Doc did the original Jetsons theme.
John 3:16
Psalm 150:3
Church Musician
Port Jeff. Station, NY , USA
Bach Strad 180/72 GP ML Tpt
Bach Strad 180/37 SP ML Tpt
Bach Strad 181 SP ML Crnt
Yamaha, Flugel SP 63110Z
Bach 3, 3C, 3D, 5A,5V
Curry Mpcs
Ultra Pure products
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud did those, he did all those Hanna-Barbera cartoons.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good Bud feature is the version of Peter Gunn he does on Mancini's 'Symphonic Soul' album, dubbed with him playing both Bb and picc. His ability to growl and fluttertongue in the stratosphere is just inhuman.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Another good Bud feature is the version of Peter Gunn he does on Mancini's 'Symphonic Soul' album, dubbed with him playing both Bb and picc. His ability to growl and fluttertongue in the stratosphere is just inhuman.

Bud would do this on tour with Mancini at various Symphony pop concerts. To hear him live doing this was amazing. He'd often play it from back in the section and the legit cats could not believe what they were hearing.

Bud was a one of a kind player.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I just went hunting through my Trumpet Book collection and I came up with the DUET book Trumpets Today(Jazz Duets) as played and recorded by Bud Brisbois arranged by Lennie Niehaus. Highland Music Company copyright 1968
If anyone has the Trumpet Today(A planned program for building the high register) by Bud Brisbois which was the "sister book" I'd be Happy to share my Duets for your playing techniques!

or if the book is still in print and available for purchase, let me know. Thanks!

Musically yours,

Paul T.

Art Blakey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: