• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you feel about R/P being locked down?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: How do you feel about R/P being locked down? Reply with quote

Just curious guys. How do you feel about R/P being locked down and why? I think it is an interesting forum and Ive learned much about world politics, but theres far to much arguments and mud slinging going on in there

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you feel about R/P being locked down? Reply with quote

MilesD wrote:
Just curious guys. How do you feel about R/P being locked down and why?

Couldn't care less. That thing's set up to catch all the political spill that would otherwise plague the lounge and other forums. So long as it doesn't start affecting the amount of political/religious mention elsewhere on Trumpetherald, I don't care whether it reopens or not.

Quote:
I think it is an interesting forum and Ive learned much about world politics...

I praise you. I've never gotten a freakin' thing out of the few times I've bothered to enter it. Everything's moot, and nothing ever gets listened to. I dislike the media (with either liberal and conservative biases), but still think watching a couple different opinions on the day's events would probably help gather more information than most intentive reading in R/P.

Quote:
...but theres far to much arguments and mud slinging going on in there

Amen, now let's all ignore politics and have a jam session.
bbj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to come back up. There needs to be a safe place in society where we can rant and rave and get things off our chests. No one should call people nasty names or cuss at 'em here, but, I really hope the theads posted here are not taken seriously. I doubt that if and when we meet, anyone holds against anyone else the posts in the R/P forum!! If you are, then you have other problems, namely, what's important, and what isn't.

Think of R/P as Archie Bunker's living room...walk through, listen, roll your eyes, maybe make a comment, then go to the kitchen.
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two seem on opposit sides of the spectrum. As for me I wouldnt mind seeing it back up but theres far to many jerks that hang out in there. I dont think Ive ever had a political question answered straight because of the opposing libs vs the conservs, but as I said Ive learned much about politics.

Its also a nice place to go if youre pee'd off and wanna have an arguement and kind of like Archie Bunkers living room. And you sure can count on being called a 'meathead' or worse by someone in there

Luke6335J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel good.
Bach 7C - Love
America was a bit of fun - learnt not to ever talk about religion or politics LOL
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I thought that anyone went in there with an open mind and willing to listen to other peoples' views, I would be slightly missing it - but that is not the way it appears to me (and I did read a lot of what was written).
You have the strong advocates on either side of any discussion and they won't ever budge from their position. If you disagree with them, you are simply wrong.

If people could understand the concept of intelligent, polite, informed, unbiased debate - it could be an interesting forum, but the amount of insult-hurling, mudslinging and general abuse is too much, in my eyes.
Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do miss it, but I'm getting my fix over at the Glocktalk forums.

Explaining the unknown by means of the unobservable is always a perilous business.
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: R&P Reply with quote

I feel that it should stayed KILLED OFF and DEAD.

-GS
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbj wrote:
Think of R/P as Archie Bunker's living room...walk through, listen, roll your eyes, maybe make a comment, then go to the kitchen.

Great line, this is pretty much what I would do; make a few comments from time-to-time if the topic was of interest but avoided making R/P my life.

I can't believe how much time some folks spend over there; it's just as bad as the kids that play video games for hours on end. There’s got to be more constructive ways to spend so much time, like getting off the sofa/computer chair and going out for a jog.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was probably shut down by the governement to keep people from talking about and exposing the same.
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't miss it, there were several individuals who really got under my skin. I usually didn't even read the post if they started it. I only read a few of the subjects and tried to stay away from most but every once in a while I would mess up and respond to a post [kick my self later for doing it]. Just an old guy's thoughts. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
If I thought that anyone went in there with an open mind and willing to listen to other peoples' views, I would be slightly missing it - but that is not the way it appears to me (and I did read a lot of what was written).
You have the strong advocates on either side of any discussion and they won't ever budge from their position. If you disagree with them, you are simply wrong.

If people could understand the concept of intelligent, polite, informed, unbiased debate - it could be an interesting forum, but the amount of insult-hurling, mudslinging and general abuse is too much, in my eyes.

Ya thats what bothered me about R/P. To many outspoken individuals who would dump on your head if your opinion wavers from thiers.

Very well said Mike, and very well informed as usual

BTW does anyone know if R/P is gone for good?

ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the internet need a forum for trumpet players to discuss religion and politics?

Are trumpeters inherently more passionate about those things than non-trumpeters?

Is there really no other place online where these politically- and religiously-charged trumpeters could discuss the same matters?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we are all smarter, more informed and better looking.

I don't understand why people will say, "if you don't like the drivel posts in forum <pick your forum> just ignore them", and then turn around and complain about R&P. As many have said here all of the posts were worthless, if so why are these same people reading them?

Admit it, it is because you were curious in the same way people gawk at accidents.

Anyway, I think the better question is, why not have a discussion forum for trumpet players to discuss religion and politics? Especially since they will do it anyway (see the thread on Phil Driscoll, it started to drift towards R&P).
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Mickley wrote:
I really don't miss it, there were several individuals who really got under my skin. I usually didn't even read the post if they started it. I only read a few of the subjects and tried to stay away from most but every once in a while I would mess up and respond to a post [kick my self later for doing it]. Just an old guy's thoughts. Dave

Ditto. (except, I'm not really that old)

MilesD wrote:
BTW does anyone know if R/P is gone for good?

I doubt it. It'll probably reopen within the month with the same type of weak moderation that it had before. As if it's so much harder to screen out bad behaviour in that forum compared to the rest. Revielle was created for a reason, but it seems that it has become redundant of late.

ralphnz wrote:
Why does the internet need a forum for trumpet players to discuss religion and politics?

Are trumpeters inherently more passionate about those things than non-trumpeters?

Is there really no other place online where these politically- and religiously-charged trumpeters could discuss the same matters?

LittleRusty wrote:
Because we are all smarter, more informed and better looking.

Well, I am. Don't know about the rest of you guys though....

LittleRusty wrote:
I don't understand why people will say, "if you don't like the drivel posts in forum <pick your forum> just ignore them", and then turn around and complain about R&P. As many have said here all of the posts were worthless, if so why are these same people reading them?

I don't. I Read every post on TH every day, except when I'm away from the site for whatever reason. I find most of the posts in R/P to be worthless, but I read them to learn what other people are thinking. I frequently sit staring at the screen shaking my head in dismay.

The people who most frequently post in R/P are the people whose opinions are least worthwhile.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&P in lockdown!!! Best thing that ever happened to TH!!!

Now let's talk some trumpet!!!
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk or scream, bandman?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
I don't. I Read every post on TH every day, except when I'm away from the site for whatever reason. I find most of the posts in R/P to be worthless, but I read them to learn what other people are thinking. I frequently sit staring at the screen shaking my head in dismay.

The people who most frequently post in R/P are the people whose opinions are least worthwhile.

Hey, I resemble that remark.
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny that people that post frequently in the lounge disparage those who post frequently in R/P. At least to have some credibility in R/P you have to have some working knowledge of the outside world and able to construct coherent, logical thoughts. Of course there were many people who survived there by sheer force of will without any of the preceeding qualities (or at least they thought they did...I just laughed at them), but I would say that it made me a better person and more able to justify my beliefs. Even though some of the idiocy and personal attacks made me stop posting there with much regularity recently I still think it is a worthwhile forum. Though it could get ugly, I think that our common interest and interactions in other forums on the site made it a better vehicle for these types of debates than some other more politically oriented sites.

Jason Pellett
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: