• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ebay mess

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Ebay mess Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but is anyone else getting irritated that some dufus is flooding the trumpet section with electronics and photo equipment (probably 800 to 1000 listings that have nothing to do with trumpets)? It 's bad enough to have to go past all the new "horns" (i.e. crap) from India and China but now I have to slough through page after page of stuff that should be listed in another catagory! I wish that Ebay would have a sub-catagory for vintage horns so that the new "horns" could be more conveniently ignored. I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is very trivial but its nice to be able to vent sometimes. Thanks
BobXX
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I noticed that as well... as if it isnt obvious that its a scam...

It gets annoying when you have to go past a couple hundred "electronics" listings to get to the actual trumpets...
Solar Bell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do something easy.

When the trumpets come up go to the box that says sort by:

Click on Highest Priced.

That way you'll only get trumpets, starting with the best. scroll down to what you can afford.

-cw-
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I forgot to add to the original post is that all the listings are from England and seem to be from the the same person through different Ebay identies. Also each identity has anywhere sfrom 10 to 50 feedback but all of a sudden this guy is listing hundreds of items per identity. whoever he is he came into a lot of merchandise very suddenly.
smoothie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to e-bay trumpet, use the sort for musical instruments only and your total of items will be about one half.
Hub Van Laar-Custom, Gold
Selmer 80J matte finish
Yamaha 8310Z Gold engraved
Yamaha 9335 Silver
Bach Artisian
Bach Mariachi
Bach 37GLR,37M,
New York Trmpt Co. Broadway
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if this is the right forum for this...

Why wouldn't you contact ebay?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Clarke wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this is the right forum for this...

Why wouldn't you contact ebay?

I second that.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just set up a logic search string. Go to Ebay and then "drill down" through "Buy", "Musical Instruments", "Brass" and then put in the string

trumpet -closeout -Cecilio and run a search.

You'll only get items from that sub-sub heading and that includes the word "trumpet" but will exclude any ad that contains "closeout" and/or "Cecilio" (You can put any particular chinese brand name in you want to exclude here). I believe you are limited to three "logic conditions" so I'm afraid you aren't "allowed" to list any more names.

Then SAVE the result page to your favourites. Each subsequent time you go to ebay to check on trumpets, use that link and you'll get the same search performed on current listings.
mad-dog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
believe you are limited to three "logic conditions" so I'm afraid you aren't "allowed" to list any more names.

You can list as many logic conditions as the character limit of the search string will allow - it will scroll to the right until you run out of characters. I've got seventeen conditions in my search string. Unfortunately, the supply of junk horns and related paraphernalia (wristwatches, t-shirts, belly dancer cymbals, etc) continues to exceed my ability to select it out. Ebay has also removed the ability to start a search string with a minus sign, which I used to be able to do. I complained bitterly about it, but got no response. I'm going to guess that the dreck exceeds the good stuff by at least one order of magnitude in every category on Ebay.
Don Christensen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay mess Reply with quote

nacog wrote:
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but is anyone else getting irritated that some dufus is flooding the trumpet section with electronics and photo equipment (probably 800 to 1000 listings that have nothing to do with trumpets)? It 's bad enough to have to go past all the new "horns" (i.e. crap) from India and China but now I have to slough through page after page of stuff that should be listed in another catagory! I wish that Ebay would have a sub-catagory for vintage horns so that the new "horns" could be more conveniently ignored. I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is very trivial but its nice to be able to vent sometimes. Thanks

When the brass category on ebay is flooded with electronics, I usually filter my searches to leave out everything that doesn't have Trumpet or Cornet in the title. You can do this easily by typing the following text sans the quotes in the search box: "(trumpet, cornet)". You can modify this to also include your favorite mispelled varients so that you don't miss anything, for instance (trumpet, cornet, coronet)

Here's one that you can cut and paste and keep adding on to as you find more junk you want to filter out:

(trumpet, cornet) -tristar -china -schill -empirebrass -helmke -rossetti -selmen -cecilio

Anything with a "-"in front will be filtered out.
mad-dog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works - the only problem with it is it misses the "trumphets" and "coronets", and their ilk - which 99% of the time are garbage, but oh, that last percent...

About a month ago, I picked up a really fine Buescher True-Tone soprano sax from 1925 that was listed as a "brass clarionet" - never would have seen it if I didn't take a little bit of pot-luck.

It's possible to exclude sellers at higher category levels, so I've been selecting out the worst purveyors of the aforementioned Schills and Cecilios - some people wouldn't recognize shame if it jumped up and bit them on the trouser seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: