• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GETZEN ETERNA 700

What are your opinions on this instrument? Does anyone have more information on it?
Nylorac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Getzen Eterna 700. Bought it 2 yrs ago when I started trumpet lessons. I like it a lot, though of course, every now and then, I'd have trouble with the high notes and blame it on the horn. Sometimes I think I should just suck it up and cough up the $$$ for a top-of-the-line model so I'll have nothing but myself to blame! Well, other then perhaps my mouthpiece...

Unfortunately, this is the only trumpet I've ever played, so I can't compare it to other horns. And even if I have tried other horns, I'm not consistent enough to be able to tell much of the difference anyway. But for what it's worth, my teacher (a Juilliard-trained trumpeter who regularly plays with the Metropolitan Opera orchestra in NYC) has played it and says it's a good horn and "very free-blowing". I have no idea what level you're at, but to be honest, if I knew when I first started that I was going to be sticking with it, I probably would've invested more money upfront in a "real" professional horn (I'm told that no professional classical trumpeters play Getzens). Now, I'll probably have to upgrade in another couple of years. If you do mostly jazz though, I guess this doesn't apply to you.

For more information, check out Getzen's website at http://www.getzen.com. Also, Alex at http://www.zacharymusic.com has a LOT of good info on his site. He also sells the horn at one amazing price. Hope this helps.

C
getzenguy700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Getzen 700 Eterna as well (the newer Eterna II), but that's not what I really wanted to say. There is absolutely NO reason you should not be able to get into the upper register except for YOU. There is a senior in our band who plays a 700 Eterna. He can hit pretty much anything you tell him to (i've heard him nail a couple c's-you know way up there). A different horn that would allow you to hit the upper register better would probably only be avoiding the real problem. So personally you CAN'T go wrong with a 700. Hope that helps. And if you're still having troubles with the upper register maybe give the asymmetric mouthpiece a try. http://www.asymmetric-mouthpiece.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an older...70's...Eterna lg bore and liked it, but just was not for me...too bright for my taste in jazz. Nice horn, great valves. I would bid on this one if I thought that a similar trumpet would suit me. It is from Rayburn Music and they are a good outfit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=2374513908
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I owned a 700s from 1996-2003. My 900 Classic is an overall better horn, but very bright in comparison to the 700s. The 700s I owned had a gold brass bell and was heavier than the 900 Classic. The 700s projected better (it was heavier), but the 900 Classic is easier to play (it's a lighter horn). Both horns had great valves, but the 900 Classic had better intonation.

What type of playing do you do? Why, in particular, are you considering this model?

Be well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: